Methods to reduce tremor or shakiness, for fountain pen

GlenV

I was wondering what methods people use to lessen tremor, shakiness, with their writing? Does anyone brace with the other hand?

Regards, Glen

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlenV

• msilverton

• Inkyways

• Graywolf503

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazon has a weight that attaches to your hand by an elastic band.

https://www.amazon.com/Weighted-Utensils-Pressure-Handwriting-Children/dp/B0CBTKT8RD

Although this is for children, it may fit an adult hand. Alternatively, it looks to be soft weighted bag with an elastic band attached to it so that it fits around your hand. It should be simple enough to manufacture one of these.

What's the cause of the tremors?  Mine are things I can work around:  my writing is more shaky in the morning.  Wringing my hands and doing some writing helps warm (loosen?) them up.  I don't need to do any proper writing exercises for that, which is good because I detest practicing loops.  Just writing out the day's ToDo list goes a long way.  Not drinking a pot of coffee in the morning would probably also help, but that is not an option.

I have a dear friend though who has a degenerative neuro disease whose hand tremors are unavoidable.  The wrist bands in the link that @Graywolf503 shared may help, I have no idea.  But the "also" products on that page led me to post this, as it was an idea I was already thinking:  add some weight, especially to the back end of the pen.  I would expect that adding extra mass will damp the tremors: you'll still have them, but the effect will be smaller.  Of course it will change the writing experience as well.  In short, I'm suggesting a flywheel effect.

My personal experience there is my Cross Peerless 125:  great nib (by Sailor, not Cross), horrible pen design that is way too backweighted.  I find it a bit of a challenge to write with and pull it out every now and then simply for that experience (and the nib), but I also find that those morning shakes that I wrote about seem reduced.  Is it the weight?  Or is it because it forces me to slow down and be more "intentional" in what I'm doing?  I don't know.

Mine is like what you describe not bad or severe but frustrating at times. It seems to sometimes be caffeine related also but still I notice it more than a few years ago. I think it’s a familial tremor as my Dad nearly 90 has difficulty writing even though he wrote a nice hand in the past. I have stabilized my R index with the left, and with some practice is workable, I think with an oblique nibholder would be a minimal issue likely.  But I want to use my old pens…

Regards, Glen

Avoiding a death grip is mandatory. After an hour of holding my pen tightly, the muscle between my thumb and index finger (in the webbing) starts to twitch. l have to constantly remind myself to loosen my grip.

I was taught to focus on using the larger muscles of the arm more than the wrist and fingers and that does help me remain steadier.

• 4 weeks later...

For me, being relaxed is an absolute must. Calm mind, calm spirit, and no one else in the house, listening to soothing music if anything helps. However sometimes I stress myself out worrying about messing up what I'm about to work on, and that's no bueno either. The best thing to do is to do a couple strokes, and if you're shaky... put it down and come back when you've gotten out of your head again. At least that's what works for me. But for me, my tremors are mostly psycho-somatic rather than neurological.

Thank you for your replies not only is frequent practice needed but methods to improve quality through relaxation and proper focus, sometimes I have to just practice on days that shakiness is noted rather than try to do something pretty.  Thank you for stating those things well, I think my shakiness is largely situational at this time as well but is important for handwriting improvement to my way of thinking, thank you all for your comments!

Regards, Glen

I guess drills aren't the most exciting thing to do, but I find them very beneficial. Ovals/Push/Pull exercises strengthen my arm and shoulder muscles and get my mind concentrated on writing. They build confidence, steady my nerves, and help me develop a light touch. I prefer to do them in pencil as there's no worries about the nib catching on the paper or the ink saturating the fibers and gumming up the nib. Every book I've ever read on penmanship recommends these drills and it only takes a few minutes to fill a page. 

drills.jpg.d5a49b7fcac144adfdafb0c25e8bb4e3.jpg

I have found that, with some pens at least, if I refrain from holding the pen close to the nib and instead hold it farther back that it helps me relax and write with a lighter hand. So, changing the hand position and the manner of holding the pen may help.

• 5 months later...

Lean to write with speed is the way to get the shaky hand shake off. So it should be done as Drills as <<  above post >>  of certain strokes for the beginning.

it is  done some times by counting  certain  strokes fo a minutes. example 250- 300 strokes per minutes.

AS the benign accuracy is not counted and once you get used to the drill then you are focusing on perfection of form and  the counts that must be in the time period.  So the constant drilling lead you to find a certain speed of your writing every stroke that allow you to produce smooth wobble free and prefect shapes you want to achieve in your CURSIVE OR LETTERING SAMPLES. 

Things to avoid .

Death grip of the pen/ pencil, Avoiding try-pod grip  or the classic hold by  handing  the wrist. avoid finger moments lead the pen.

Lean to do Different hand moment ( wrist , arm and the whole  arm  moment ) and knowing to understand the different.

All of these knowledge will not come at once  but by certain period of time by doing a due diligent  .. PRACTICE MAKe PERFECT . But that perfectness do not exist  so need to keep on doing forever. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for that advice, your lettering is beautiful, I think the practice aspect for controlled speed is a big deal. I seem to have developed a lettering style of 

my own a bit that I need to improve to more standard copperplate or engravers style yet but it's fun and a learning process. I like to find something to write out like a 

poem, ect, but need to work more on drills for consistency. 

Regards, Glen