Vintage NOS Pilot Capless/Vanishing Point Packaging

stuck-in-time

I just got a rather good deal for a NOS vintage Pilot Capless. This is the quite sought after 1970's aluminum bodied CN-400BS/CN-500BS version. While I don't usually succumb to the temptation of buying pens at this price, I was really drawn in by the packaging of this one that I end up pulling the trigger on it (it's still well below the price of a new current generation Capless, though).

IMG_6137ed.thumb.jpg.b900fc84d028d813b85d24739d20167a.jpg IMG_6138ed.thumb.jpg.d415eaf473489df7669d6584f8f6fe38.jpg

Now back to the packaging, I really like the cylindrical shape and free-standing layout. I think it complements the "futuristic" look of the pen very nicely.

IMG_6139ed.thumb.jpg.b85bbc294ab1dfd864f7cb03e80a47a4.jpg IMG_6140ed.thumb.jpg.7ba7eb78e7d86b899880b689790069ae.jpg

I'm not familiar enough about vintage Pilot packaging, but I haven't seen this type before. I've seen another NOS example of this pen sold here before, but it came with the regular style flip case with a leather-like exterior. And quick online search I did before buying also didn't turn out any leads, which just made me want to buy it more!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stuck-in-time

• XYZZY

• rudyhou

That's a great find!  What converter did they supply with it?

It has the older style CON-20 with the longer plastic sleeve and slightly widened collar.

I think I'm missing the steel cartridge cover and some paperwork. Though I'm not sure if the cartridge cover would still be provided if the pen came with a converter was included.

Very nice.  My first time to see such packaging for a capless, vintage or recent.  

Thank you for sharing. 

-rudy-

Now that I checked it again, the box is not square, leaving some space beside the cylinder. So I think there may have been a box of cartridges too.

Is the black plastic base that the pen fits into weighted?  I'm wondering if it is intended as a holder for regular use on your desktop or just a cheap stopper for the clear cylinder. 

It's a hollow piece of molded plastic and it does hold the pen firmly enough to be lifted along with the pen if one tries to pick it up. Definitely not meant as a standalone holder.

That grip's the only thing that's keeping the pen in place inside the cylinder, so it's a good idea to keep it upright. I don't think keeping the pen "hanging" by its button is good in the long run (though it has survived so far for almost 40 years, but it's better to be safe than sorry, right?).