De Atramentis Artist Violet

yazeh

De Atramentis Artist Violet 

Once in a while there's an ink, where the writing experience surpasses the colour. This is one of them. I just wanted to keep on writing. 

Thankfully the colour is the gorgeous violet. 

The cleaning was relatively easy but And I would recommend having a cleaning solution nearby.  As it’s a purple/violet ink, it might stain transparent sections and convertors. 

It did my Kanwrite convertor. Thankfully there's always Sailor Doyou or Noodler's Eel Red to de-stain. 

Let's start with the chroma:

large.Chroma-DEAtramentisArtistViolet.jpeg.2e8a6e3f29fe8d2119499b8952e2cd81.jpeg

Writing Samples:

large.RhodiaDeAArtistViolet.jpeg.6532a40c1de86822c05d06dce2500714.jpeg

large.MidoriDeAArtistViolet.jpeg.cc81a045015a0b6f489d96c3b6d38fa9.jpeg

large.TR68grDeAArtistViolet.jpeg.5e70a904b935f95f1b813b0cd0047831.jpeg

While the scan capture "ghosting" there's almost none. 

large.HammermillDeAArtistViolet.jpg.b754db05e515b083b4ef03ac9db58315.jpg

Photo:

Paper is Mnemosyne 

large.20240113_124044.jpg.9a5bf0278f8ae89f3d1f94557a0f44ff.jpg

Comparison:

large.Purple-Comparison.jpeg.bfe08f759b91403a8249b176965c9db4.jpeg

Watertest:

This is after 12 hours. The left side was held under water, and the smudges you see is wet paper (left side) 

large.Watertest-DEAArtistViolet.jpeg.c690b3d4cca2d90c5195290b2ac10de0.jpeg

and finally an art work, the first prompt of the yearly inktober challenge 2024, "Hunt" The background is Noodler's La Reine Mauve. 

For those who have attempted dip pen calligraphy it's a homage to Hunt nibs :)

hunt_by_yazeh1_dgoxht4-414w-2x.jpg?token

·      Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, (EF/F/M/B, BB), Kanwrite with an Ahab nib. 

·      What I liked: Well lubricated ink. I enjoyed writing especially with the Ahab nib. 

·      What I did not like: With BB nib, I had no control. 

·       What some might not like: It’s a pigment ink. 

·      Shading: Only with a flex nib.  

·      Ghosting: There’s a bit on copy paper. 

·      Bleed through: Very well behaved. 

·      Flow Rate: Wet

·      Lubrication: Above average

·      Nib Dry-out: Did not notice. 

·      Start-up: Did not notice.  

·      Saturation: Moderately saturated. 

·      Shading Potential: Dismal. 

·      Sheen: Nope. 

·      Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice. 

·      Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.

·      Staining (pen): Did not notice, but possible. 

·      Clogging: No. 

·      Cleaning: Relatively easy, though you might need a pen cleaning solution just in case. 

·      Water resistance: Excellent 

·      Availability: 50 ml bottles. 

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• Sailor Kenshin

• Stompie

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

I can find this ink on USA sites but not in the UK!

46 minutes ago, Stompie said:

I can find this ink on USA sites but not in the UK!

I hope our UK members chime in. Based not this post, the Document and Artist inks are the same colour (but the Green). So you can try Document Violet. Alternatively you can get it directly from the De Atramentis site.

I like the color.  Even the chroma looks a little interesting!  Wait, what's happening to me—-liking purple inks?  I do habe Violette Pensee but I recall it as watery and pale.

A giant violet standing in for an umbrella….offers a good hiding place:  'Shrinking violet?' Love the drawing of Mousie and the giant nib.

@yazeh, thanks once again.  I always look forward to your wonderful ink-splorations!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

@yazeh This looks like a nice color -- but of course, do I REALLY need another purple ink (especially after having JUST inked up a pen with Robert Oster Bishop to King a day or two ago)?  And unfortunately the answer is "Maybe...." 

Thanks as usual for the review.  And, well (as usual, NOT... :headsmack:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

53 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I like the color.  Even the chroma looks a little interesting!  Wait, what's happening to me—-liking purple inks?

😄😆

I do habe Violette Pensee but I recall it as watery and pale.

My bottle is near the end. It writes a bright violet a dries somewhat to a purple 😊

A giant violet standing in for an umbrella….offers a good hiding place:

I've been drawing a ton of pansies. It made me appreciate/see them even more 😊

'Shrinking violet?' Love the drawing of Mousie and the giant nib.

@yazeh, thanks once again.  I always look forward to your wonderful ink-splorations!

Much appreciated 🙏🙏🙏

37 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

@yazeh This looks like a nice color -- but of course, do I REALLY need another purple ink (especially after having JUST inked up a pen with Robert Oster Bishop to King a day or two ago)?

I would say unless you don't have a waterproof purple this could be a nice one to try😊

And unfortunately the answer is "Maybe...." 

Maybe not 🙏

Thanks as usual for the review.  And, well (as usual, NOT... :headsmack:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth 

😄

Thank you for sharing. I adore purple inks and water proof is even better. When you look at it in person, is the ink chalky looking?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks, and, FWIW...

• the good ol' Waterman Purple looks like a good alternative (obtainable anywhere/everywhere).
  • again, not so surprising, bur De-A keeps on "repeating" re-issues of one and (well, maybe) basically the same ink, just under a different name...

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Glad this was one you enjoyed in the pen.  The chroma's not bad (could be more interesting, but not dull :D ).  The ink on paper is lovely.  On some papers it seems slightly muted, sort of like a grape Popsicle after you've sucked some of the flavor out. :D  (Grape was my favorite flavor as a kid.)

Whoa!  Alexander Hamilton looks practically red in comparison.  My memory says AH was a dark purple - either my memory is wrong, or I just never saw it next to a blue-leaning purple...

Purple Rain. :lol:  The artists formerly known as Mouse and Kitty. ;)  Where do I get a nib with a cat-head-shaped breather hole?  Cuz, I want one!

Ink added to my list.  Interesting that Vanness seem to have both "Purple Violet" and "Violet" artist inks from DeAtramentis - and confirmed, the De Atramentis website shows both colors as well.

Thank you for the fun and informative review, @yazeh!  (Who knew there were so many violet quotes... :) )

18 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Thank you for sharing. I adore purple inks and water proof is even better. When you look at it in person, is the ink chalky looking?

Most welcome. 🙏To my eyes it doesn't look chalky. I can post a few photos if it helps :)

18 hours ago, lapis said:

Thanks, and, FWIW...

• the good ol' Waterman Purple looks like a good alternative (obtainable anywhere/everywhere).

🙏

18 hours ago, lapis said:
  • again, not so surprising, bur De-A keeps on "repeating" re-issues of one and (well, maybe) basically the same ink, just under a different name...

Yes, the only good thing about Artist series is that they are slightly cheaper than the document ones (big bottles by 5 ml) :D

18 hours ago, LizEF said:

Glad this was one you enjoyed in the pen.

🙏

The chroma's not bad (could be more interesting, but not dull :D ). 

Like most purples :)

The ink on paper is lovely. 

:)

On some papers it seems slightly muted, sort of like a grape Popsicle after you've sucked some of the flavor out. :D  (Grape was my favorite flavor as a kid.)

You're the expert ;) :p

Whoa!  Alexander Hamilton looks practically red in comparison.  My memory says AH was a dark purple - either my memory is wrong, or I just never saw it next to a blue-leaning purple...

It's been quit a while since I reviewed it.  But it's more on the reddish side :)

Purple Rain. :lol:  The artists formerly known as Mouse and Kitty. ;)  Where do I get a nib with a cat-head-shaped breather hole?  Cuz, I want one!

Me too :)

Ink added to my list.  Interesting that Vanness seem to have both "Purple Violet" and "Violet" artist inks from DeAtramentis - and confirmed, the De Atramentis website shows both colors as well.

They are quite dull or too imaginative about name ;) The document and artist names can be sometimes boring or confusing, especially wth all the something-greys :)

Thank you for the fun and informative review, @yazeh

A pleasure!

(Who knew there were so many violet quotes... :) )

More to come next week, with the last of the Violet series :D

Thank you, @yazeh, for an exciting review of another purple ink! :thumbup:

I see the pattern in your reviews and I see my collection growing and growing and growing; no end in sight. :) 

Great drawings - and now I can't get rid of the melody "puuuurple rain, purple rain ..." !

If you order a nib with cat shaped breather hole for @LizEF, please order one more for me too! :) :) 

One life!

4 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for an exciting review of another purple ink! :thumbup:

🙏

4 hours ago, InesF said:

I see the pattern in your reviews and I see my collection growing and growing and growing; no end in sight. :) 

:D

4 hours ago, InesF said:

Great drawings - and now I can't get rid of the melody "puuuurple rain, purple rain ..." !

:D

4 hours ago, InesF said:

If you order a nib with cat shaped breather hole for @LizEF, please order one more for me too! :) :) 

I sure will :)