Lamy Aion: Jasper Morrison and his concept of the Super Normal

Nhartist40

I just posted a new video on my YouTube channel that combines my passion for fountain pens with my interest in art. I look closely at Lamy's Aion fountain pen which was designed by Jasper Morrison. It is a great example of his concept of the "super normal." I think it is a very beautiful pen, but it is not the most comfortable pen to write with. I talk about why this might be so and think about the old modernist issues of form not quite following function, and less is not necessarily more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm2I8NpWYMo

Morrison is a British designer, who is probably best known for the dishes and flatware he has designed for Alessi.  In 2007, along with his colleague, the designer Naoto Fukasawa, Morrison curated an exhibition entitled Super Normal which displayed a selection of tools, furniture, dishes that they felt embodied their design aesthetic—objects that evolved, if you will over time, so that they functioned beautifully but also discretely.

The name of the pen is interesting.  It comes from a Hellenistic deity who represents eternity, or cyclical time.  In art he is is often depicted naked next to or inside the circle of the zodiac.  Rather than see time as linear, past present and future, AION is about continuity, and this relates to two ideas the pen is supposed to embody: a kind of seamless whole, and a timeless quality.  One reviewer said the pen seems masculine, I am not sure about this, but it does have a naked quality—a feeling that Morrison has considered what a fountain pen should be and stripped it down to its essentials.  The process by which the pen is given its brushed surface by robots and then bathed in an acid bath, also suggest a kind of stripping down of the body.

I have a pen in my collection called The Rings pen that was designed by the Hausmann design team.  This cute but totally bizarre pen is almost completely unusable as a pen.  It is really an art object—everything about it says it was designed by designers who want their pen to stand out and look different.  Morrison is against all of this—rather than original, he insists he is “reprocessing” the past. 

To put it another way, it is almost by design, that Jasper Morrison’s work on the Aion pen has been largely ignored.  The pen does not shout, "I am original, I am different," but in fact, in order for it to made, Lamy had to develop new ways of manufacture.  Its simplicity—its discretion, requires work and reengineering, which is sort of a paradox.  Even the nib is newly designed. The result is a pen that while not super expensive, costs more than twice what a Lamy Safari costs, even though they both have a steel nib that writes rather similarly. 

Morrison said in an interview about the pen:

"From the very beginning, I wanted to design the pens to be as seamless and sealed as possible. Lamy has managed to make our ideas reality in superb form.

If it isn’t a simplified whole, then it isn’t a finished design."

Another aspect of Morrison’s design is a certain sensuousness.  He wants the materials to be seductive, and thus the rounded forms, and the brush surface.  Comfort is supposed to be another consideration. The clip is spring loaded which makes it easy to fit on a shirt without tearing the fabric.  The pen clicks together—no time wasted screwing the cap in and out, no problem with the rough edges of threads.  The pen posts very securely. 

In order to produce the pen, Lamy had to create a system of robots that quickly creates the brush surface.  They had to use a heavy aluminum, that is anodized to make it harder so it would not scratch easily. 

Several reviewers have talked about how the top and bottom of the pen is blank.  This is wrong.  My favorite part of the pen is the way you can see how it is machined on the top and bottom—and how beautifully it reflects the light.  Lamy also redesigned their standard nib so that it looks more pointy and rounded on the edges, and also slightly finer.  However, if you like the standard Lamy nib, it is interchangeable with it. 

And so Morrison and Lamy created what I think is a gorgeous looking pen.  And yet, it isn’t perfect.  It is quite heavy.  It is well balanced when posted and I find I am able to write well with it, but I think if I used it for hours, my hand would get tired—particularly if I used it posted.  In our world of computers, more and more people don’t write for long periods of time with pens, but a pen called Aion, should encourage writing for a long time, not tire the user out. 

The other problem is that I find the section to be slippery.  This is a problem that often comes up with the all metal pens Lamy is partial too in their more expensive pens. The section is not perfectly smooth, but it is fat and slippery.  I think if it were ribbed or made of a different material it would improve the feel and make it easier to write with.  But that might ruin the aesthetic simplicity.  This is one of the problems with the less-is-more aesthetic.  Simple things don’t necessarily function better than complex things.  Less is sometimes just less.

Don’t get me wrong—I really fell in love with the way these pens look, so much so that I will use them, probably unposted.  I love the colors the come in. They seem like true works of art to me in their simplicity and elegance.  But in terms of comfort, the Lamy Nexx, which is much cheaper, is a better choice.   Interestingly, the Nexx was designed by Andreas Haug at Phoenix design, which is a little more flashy and mainstream in their aesthetic than Morrison.  It does things that are not necessarily justified by function, like the way its barrel begins as a diagonal and transitions to a circle. But its section is rubberized for comfort, and like the Lamy Safari, it is shaped to help you hold the pen in the proper way.   

But I am not so charmed by the way the Nexx looks—it is trying too hard to be noticed.  The cap and clip seem a bit cheap, particularly in the plastic version. It doesn’t quite look like a pen to me, while the Aion still comes across as an elegant writing instrument that is both contemporary and classic in its form. Elegant and discrete—these are terms that fit Jasper Morrison's designs perfectly.

Aion Pens.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RJS

• Azulado

• Baka1969

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice! Thank you. The Aion (changed to Lion by spellcheck) is a pen I have tried to love, but find it not quite right in my hand. I was just thinking about trying again with a dark blue one, and perhaps I shall after this review. Or maybe one less attempt is more..

Nice write up.  You did a great job explaining Super Normal and how the Aion embodies the concept.  The green Aion was the first fountain pen I treated myself to when I rediscovered fountain pens.  I love the design for many of the reasons you highlighted and had tried to explain these things to my Industrial Design students but they tended to see it as “a basic stick”.   I have struggled to embrace it fully myself.  I ink it up occasionally, use it for a while and then clean it out and store it away.  I won’t give it up because I love the design and anodized green finish but a combination of its bulkiness, endless rotating cap (when posted) and somewhat uncomfortable section keeps it from becoming an EDC pen for me.  

Thanks for taking the time to post this.  I hope you wrote the first draft with an Aion and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

3 minutes ago, Surlyprof said:

Nice write up.  You did a great job explaining Super Normal and how the Aion embodies the concept.  The green Aion …   I have struggled to embrace it fully myself.  I ink it up occasionally, use it for a while and then clean it out and store it away.  I won’t give it up because I love the design and anodized green finish but a combination of its bulkiness, endless rotating cap (when posted) and somewhat uncomfortable section keeps it from becoming an EDC pen for me.  

Thanks for taking the time to post this. 

+1 for me as well. I love the dark green material of my Aion, but the cap is distracting to me, and makes it feel of lesser quality than it is.

I have two Aion - a red F and a black EF - and while I like the design (and really like the shape of the nib) find that I don't use them much because they do dry out rather quickly.

A bit more attention to sealing would be appreciated in all Lamy pens. Great in all other areas, but not that, and a dried out pen is useless, frustrating and a waste of ink.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 11:56 AM, Surlyprof said:

… my Industrial Design students but they tended to see it as “a basic stick”.   I have struggled to embrace it fully myself.

Yeah, while it may be a wonderful pen, (I have not personally tried one as I lack a local brick and mortar store) “Basic Stick”.  😳

On 1/7/2024 at 8:58 PM, AmandaW said:

I don't use them much because they do dry out rather quickly

Interestingly, the Lamy Nexx has a perfect seal, just as good as the Preppy. The curious thing is that the liner cap looks similar. 

I love the Aion. It conveys a great sense of quality, especially the section, with that well constructed thread.

I bought the Lamy Aion at the same time as the Pelikan M200. The ergonomics of the Aion are evident every time I swap it for the Pelikan. 
I love the Aion. It conveys a great sense of quality, especially the section, with that well constructed thread. On the section, sometimes I find it feels more comfortable. I think you have to concentrate more on the writing position, the table, the position of the arms, the elbow support. My hands are small, I tend to hold it very close to the junction with the body. 
About the nib, @A Smug Dill has always said that the Z53s are better than the Z50s. I have no complaints about the Z53s, although I have had some problems with them. But I have to admit that the Z53 on my Aion has impressed me and I find it better finished than the normal Z50. For me, it's a premium nib. 
Another thing that struck me is the feel of the aluminium. I have used it in the cold Madrid in December and in the warm Northeast of Brazil, in Madrid it was freezing for the first few minutes! In Brazil it is perfect. 

Another frequently discussed issue is the wobble of the cap. In my case, there is very little play, it is not really a problem. I have studied the locking mechanism and I think the problem occurs because the liner cap does not go all the way to the bottom of the cap. It's a half a millimetre adjustment, minimum. I think the liner cap has to be at an exact distance from an inner step that we see about 28 mm from the lip. The liner cap and the step are adjusted with respect to the curvature of the section. Any slight variation causes a clearance. The solution may be to move the liner cap minimally. 

Design-wise for me, this pen has a split personality. With the cap it looks like a boring thing with a loose hat. The clip is especially uninspiring for a Lamy. Without the cap, it is an exciting thing, no seams and decidedly sensuous. I replaced the nib on my black Aion (the new design didn't really inspire much) with a black z52 broad, and it looks fab.

I keep going back to the pen repeatedly because to me it looks so avant garde without the cap, but then i lose interest because it is not well-balanced for me, and the loose hat/dry start. Great for a couple of pages. Designing pens must be very hard indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest issue against the Aion is the Studio. 

I am somewhat of a Lamy fanboy by having 15. 5 of which are the Studio and 3 of those are with a 14k nib. I use a Studio almost daily. I love how well they write. My question to myself has been what does the Aion do that the Studio doesn't? I find the Aion kind of boring looking compared to the Studio. Plus, on average, it's priced higher. 

Let's talk nibbage. I find the Studios better writers over the Safari/AL-Star/Vista/LX models. Which themselves write well. We all know that most Lamy pens use the same feeds and nib choices. Does this make a difference in the Aion? I would more than likely add a 14k nib either way. But would the Aion be transformative over the Studio to make up for it's uninspired aesthetic? I don't know and haven't yet been willing to take the plunge to find out. 

n+1

Thank you for sharing the design background for the Lamy Aion.

As a layman to design, when I first say the Aion, I just thought this is a lower priced Lamy 2k lookalike that has to employ a different nib to justify its cost above the Safari/Studio.

I think the lament I have with Lamy pens, is that they are meticulously designed with the intention of being that one reliable pen companion. But alas, fountain pen hobbyist are not monogamous in nature, we have so many pens, flashy materials, big gold nibs, its hard for Lamy's subtle designs to stand out. I think my Lamy 2k, CP1, Logo are great writers, but I tend to take them out of  the rotation for more interesting pens.

15 hours ago, Baka1969 said:

We all know that most Lamy pens use the same feeds and nib choices. Does this make a difference in the Aion?

The nib of the Aion (Z53) is different from the others. The carving of the nib has a very unique shape that provides a special writing experience. Compared to other Lamy nibs, it glides without any roughness and provides a higher flow. In any case, for me, the Z50s (the ones mounted on the Safari), are good enough. If any of them are faulty, it is usually very easy to adjust them. 
Considering your theory, if you put the steel nib of a Studio on a Safari, the Safari will write better. If the Studio's nibs are better than the Safari's, it will be because they have a different quality control. But they are the same Z50. If you order a replacement nib, it is not specified whether they are Z50 for Studio or Safari. They are all the same. 

On the appearance of the Aion, it is indeed a very sober fountain pen. Its appeal lies in the texture of the aluminium and its writing qualities. Once I'm writing, I don't pay much attention to the beauty of the pen, I focus on the writing. Otherwise, the most exciting thing would be to use those special editions with engravings and diamonds.

20 minutes ago, Azulado said:

The nib of the Aion (Z53) is different from the others. The carving of the nib has a very unique shape that provides a special writing experience. Compared to other Lamy nibs, it glides without any roughness and provides a higher flow. In any case, for me, the Z50s (the ones mounted on the Safari), are good enough. If any of them are faulty, it is usually very easy to adjust them. 
Considering your theory, if you put the steel nib of a Studio on a Safari, the Safari will write better. If the Studio's nibs are better than the Safari's, it will be because they have a different quality control. But they are the same Z50. If you order a replacement nib, it is not specified whether they are Z50 for Studio or Safari. They are all the same. 

On the appearance of the Aion, it is indeed a very sober fountain pen. Its appeal lies in the texture of the aluminium and its writing qualities. Once I'm writing, I don't pay much attention to the beauty of the pen, I focus on the writing. Otherwise, the most exciting thing would be to use those special editions with engravings and diamonds.

Anecdotally I've read/heard the nibs from Aion write pretty much the same as the other Z5x series steel nibs. Just a little more bulbous in the waistline.  I swap nibs from my Studios and Safari family pens frequently. I have never felt a difference between any of them. Except nib size of course. I have probably a half dozen spare Lamy Z5x nibs in most of the sizes. 

I do, however, find a clear improvement from the 14k nibs over the standard steel nibs. If I were to get the Aion I would more likely than not get the 14k nib for it. Thus eliminating the slight aesthetic difference their nib offers. 

n+1

On 1/16/2024 at 12:26 PM, Azulado said:

Interestingly, the Lamy Nexx has a perfect seal, just as good as the Preppy. 

It's interesting to read that. Mine has a poor seal- nothing like a Preppy. 

The Nexx is generally a bit of a disaster of a pen- ridiculous unergonomic grip being the biggest gripe. How they made its grip so bad after making the great Safari, I'm not sure.

However, mine came with a Goldilocks nib- my favourite nib out of the box of the very many pens I have. I have a load of Lamy pens and none of their nibs are near as good.

On 1/30/2024 at 8:02 PM, Baka1969 said:

My biggest issue against the Aion is the Studio. 

I am somewhat of a Lamy fanboy by having 15. 5 of which are the Studio and 3 of those are with a 14k nib. I use a Studio almost daily. I love how well they write.

It's great how our feelings can all vary so much- the grip section on the Studio, with its slippery chrome which tapers towards the nib- makes it a truly awful pen in my eyes. Writes rather nicely, but I couldn't use it for 3 minutes comfortably. (Yes, I do own one.)

Maybe I'm just fussy when it comes to sections, though, as most pens from respected brands have poor sections (too skinny, tapering towards the nib, etc) until you go over the £200 mark. In recent years, Chinese and Taiwanese pens have really come in and made it possible for a man with large hands to buy a comfortable pen without spending a lot.

1 minute ago, RJS said:

It's great how our feelings can all vary so much- the grip section on the Studio, with its slippery chrome which tapers towards the nib- makes it a truly awful pen in my eyes. Writes kinda nicely, but I couldn't use it for 3 minutes comfortably. (Yes, I do own one.)

Maybe I'm just fussy when it comes to sections, though, as most pens from respected brands have poor sections (too skinny, tapering towards the nib, etc) until you go over the £200 mark. In recent years, Chinese and Taiwanese pens have really come in and made it possible for a man with large hands to buy a comfortable pen without spending a lot.

I have the rubberized grip section on two of my Studios. They are available separately for around $15 each. I have thought about getting the rubberized grip for my others but haven't done it yet. It feels pretty comfortable, however, I'm not as adverse as others have mentioned about the metal sections on the Studio. 

n+1

12 hours ago, Baka1969 said:

I have the rubberized grip section on two of my Studios. They are available separately for around $15 each. I have thought about getting the rubberized grip for my others but haven't done it yet. It feels pretty comfortable, however, I'm not as adverse as others have mentioned about the metal sections on the Studio. 

Thank you for bringing that to my attention... I'll try to track one down!

16 hours ago, RJS said:

Maybe I'm just fussy when it comes to sections, though, as most pens from respected brands have poor sections (too skinny, tapering towards the nib, etc) until you go over the £200 mark.

Several European models come to mind that have a more or less wide section. Faber-Castell Loom and E-Motion, Diplomat Aero, Lamy Escala and Aion, Schneider Base and Ray, etc. 

I have very small hands. I found the Lamy Aion uncomfortable at first, but after two months I've adapted to it. 

In any case, a regular pencil or a BIC pen are two universal instruments, you could almost say they are one-size-fits-all. I suppose millions of people with large hands use them every day. Are fountain pens special?

17 hours ago, RJS said:

It's interesting to read that. Mine has a poor seal- nothing like a Preppy. 

Perhaps there is some tolerance in the NEXX manufacture. It also exists in the Preppy, I have two, one perfect and one that lets the ink dry after about two weeks. I've looked at the Preppy with the imperfect seal with a magnifying glass and I can't see anything irregular. These variations must be minimal. 

1 hour ago, Azulado said:

Several European models come to mind that have a more or less wide section. Faber-Castell Loom and E-Motion, Diplomat Aero, Lamy Escala and Aion, Schneider Base and Ray, etc. . 

I have some of those. A couple of Looms in fact. It's just a weird historic price-girth ratio, which is still present in European, American and Japanese pens today. You want a big section, you pay the extra £££ in general.

In any case, a regular pencil or a BIC pen are two universal instruments, you could almost say they are one-size-fits-all. I suppose millions of people with large hands use them every day. Are fountain pens special?

I have wondered this before- why I can write/draw with a pencil comfortably but my hands seem to hate me for using a skinny fountain pen!? I do hate using Bic type pens, though.

Perhaps there is some tolerance in the NEXX manufacture. It also exists in the Preppy, I have two, one perfect and one that lets the ink dry after about two weeks. I've looked at the Preppy with the imperfect seal with a magnifying glass and I can't see anything irregular. These variations must be minimal

I agree it must be a matter of tolerances- However,  I'd always assumed that the NEXX didn't even try to seal properly, like the Safari, and was happy to dry out fast. 😅