Speculation for 2024

dftr

23 hours ago, kazoolaw said:

Woman in Gold with Helen Mirren & Ryan Reynolds

Thanks!  I couldn't remember the name of the movie, or who was in it -- and sometimes the search engine on IMDB is a little wonky if you don't have exact details....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dftr

• seimodern

• ak47

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, dbs said:

I really hope this will finally come to true. Look back the sale of the recent years. The most hottest one is the 149 flex. We need the real innovation in writing instrument.

xx.thumb.png.9e6560249849dddbc412143b98792bb1.png

I'm not an engineer or knowledgable about MB... what is this diagram representing?  It looks like a Piston filler?  

18 hours ago, dbs said:

We need the real innovation in writing instrument.

What do you have in mind?

Add lightness and simplicate.

9 hours ago, dftr said:

I'm not an engineer or knowledgable about MB... what is this diagram representing?  It looks like a Piston filler?  

This is Montblanc 2022/2023 new patient filling, a brand new filling mechanism. Montblanc does not have many brand new design in pen mechanism since 1980s. Heritage 1912 is the one, and this is the second one.

Don't know when we can see this new pen out.

On 1/1/2024 at 12:46 PM, dftr said:

This is the century anniversary of the meisterstuck.  Any thoughts on special editions they may release?  Anything they could open up from the vault and rerelease?  

Im wondering who their great persons or writers edition will be… oppenheimer?  Gabriel garcia marquez?  Umberto Eco?  George Orwell?

If it is the George Orwell, it will be taken away from you if you are caught journaling with it.

:lticaptd:

Good one, Surlyprof!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Especially if you're trying to figure out whether drinks in liters are more cost effective in the long run than in pints and half pints.... :rolleyes: 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

21 hours ago, dbs said:

This is Montblanc 2022/2023 new patient filling, a brand new filling mechanism.

Great find!😍

Hmm.. that would be cool in 2024, looks like a Vac or Bulk filler. But as you noted, when?! I would imagine all the tooling and production processes would take beyond the 100 yr mark. 

I doubt MB would hit any of these LLM predictions relevant to FP, except for the latter, items 5-7 which seem to be their ballpark:

1. Self-Cleaning Technology: Nano-coatings or ultrasonic vibrations on nibs and feeds could revolutionize maintenance, catering to a wider audience seeking convenience and hassle-free writing.
  2. Biometric Nibs: Imagine nibs that adapt to individual hand pressure and writing style. This personalized technology could attract ergonomic-conscious writers and improve accessibility for those with hand tremors.
  3. E-paper Integration: Hybrid pens combining analog writing with e-paper displays could emerge. Imagine sketching on a digital canvas within your journal or seamlessly transferring handwritten notes to your devices.
  4. Sustainable Materials: Eco-conscious consumers will be delighted by pens made from recycled plastics, plant-based resins, or even bamboo. Biodegradable inks will further reduce environmental impact, appealing to green-minded writers.
  5. Micro-Precision Nibs: Manufacturers might unveil ultra-fine nibs for extreme detail work, catering to calligraphers, comic artists, and mapmakers seeking ultimate line control. <-- think the Calligraphy line, phat Kugel in 2024! If they added an overfeed to differentiate like that photo of the stabilizing tool at the grind wheel, I would be all over that unless they release an affordable non bespoke Signature Music.🤩
  6. Personalized Nib Customization: On-demand nib modifications through laser etching or electroplating could become mainstream, allowing writers to tailor nib width, flex, and even engraving for a truly bespoke experience. <-- done after boutique $$$eniority 
  7. Vintage Resurgence: Expect renewed interest in antique and restored fountain pens. Younger generations, drawn to heritage craftsmanship and unique collectibles, might breathe new life into vintage writing instruments. <-- 100 yrs later it's gotta look like a "Masterpiece

My guess is conservative like Montblanc Meisterstuck 1924 Edition Fountain Pen: replace the precious resin with precious metal! 🤣 or do a (pg 100 Hobby Stationary Box, 趣味の文具箱) Gold Geometry Solitaire 350th Anniversary (2023) Mitsukoshi King of Beast Lion and slap a faceted ruby on the nib 🤩 at only 275000 yen 🤑

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 9:46 PM, dftr said:

This is the century anniversary of the meisterstuck.  Any thoughts on special editions they may release?  Anything they could open up from the vault and rerelease?  

Im wondering who their great persons or writers edition will be… oppenheimer?  Gabriel garcia marquez?  Umberto Eco?  George Orwell?

Rumors that i heard is that Jane Austin will be the writers Edition 2024

1 hour ago, mstrl said:

Hi. Thanks.

And when it will be released?

Do you know?

On 1/28/2024 at 11:48 AM, mstrl said:

Thanks for the info.  I confess I'm not a big fan of the zombie genre but I'll reread and see.  I had misremembered Dickens as being filled w/ cliches but re-reading Great Expectations and Tale of Two Cities 30 years later I was captivated and so many expectations were pleasantly surprised.  

45 minutes ago, Uncial said:

Zombies And Prejudice?

The movie of that was made back in 2016.

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 5:06 PM, Mercian said:

The movie of that was made back in 2016.

Looks like the movie took the story in a more serious, action direction.  If I remember correctly the book was more humorous.  I remember the author credits included a long write up of Jane Austin and a short one of the author that said “he took an English class.”

I did just see this on Stilograph Corsani’s IG page.

I just saw that Stilograph Corsani pulled the Montblanc Anniversary model image from their IG page.  I guess they jumped the gun showing it.

6 hours ago, fpupulin said:

Removed already?

Yes, already deleted. I didn't see anything.

On 1/28/2024 at 4:36 PM, ak47 said:

Hi. Thanks.

And when it will be released?

Do you know?

I have heard July-ish

• 3 months later...

I'm kind of late to the party here, but I was suprised/delighted to see that at least two pen retailers were already selling a new Heritage Montblanc Olympic series of  fountain pens, including what seems to be a bright red pen with gold detail and mention of the Paris 1924 Olympics, with a javelin thrower on the nib.

I'm a sucker for their Heritage series and for bright red (rather than maroon/burgundy or etc) pens more generally--red/gold combos especially...I don't shy away from garish--so I went ahead and ordered one despite having already burnt through my pen budget for the foreseeable. (The store I bought it from kindly overnighted it to me, so it is supposed to arrive this evening. . .  fingers crossed that it looks good in person!)

Curiously, though, I wasn't able to find references on Montblanc's own website, and when I just googled the pen again, the links to both (well known, not sketchy) stores (both in the US) that had been selling it online have now turned into "error" pages. 

Now I am all the more curious...did they accidentally sell pens before an official release date? Or...?

I suppose I should have posted this after the pen arrives, but my curiosity is getting the better of me so I thought I would share....

Are these pens perhaps already on sale in Europe?

59 minutes ago, seimodern said:

I'm kind of late to the party here, but I was suprised/delighted to see that at least two pen retailers were already selling a new Heritage Montblanc Olympic series of  fountain pens, including what seems to be a bright red pen with gold detail and mention of the Paris 1924 Olympics, with a javelin thrower on the nib.

I'm a sucker for their Heritage series and for bright red (rather than maroon/burgundy or etc) pens more generally--red/gold combos especially...I don't shy away from garish--so I went ahead and ordered one despite having already burnt through my pen budget for the foreseeable. (The store I bought it from kindly overnighted it to me, so it is supposed to arrive this evening. . .  fingers crossed that it looks good in person!)

Curiously, though, I wasn't able to find references on Montblanc's own website, and when I just googled the pen again, the links to both (well known, not sketchy) stores (both in the US) that had been selling it online have now turned into "error" pages. 

Now I am all the more curious...did they accidentally sell pens before an official release date? Or...?

I suppose I should have posted this after the pen arrives, but my curiosity is getting the better of me so I thought I would share....

Are these pens perhaps already on sale in Europe?

Those pens are already in stores but embargoed from internet information release for a little bit longer

1 hour ago, marlinspike said:

Those pens are already in stores but embargoed from internet information release for a little bit longer

Ah, thanks for clarifying! And as it happens, the pen just arrived!

I had a hard time determining what shade of red it was based on online photos (that have since disappeared), but in person, it's an interesting shade of red...not as fire engine red as, say, the James Dean; it leans towards coral, to my eye, but not quite as coral-y as the 1906 Serpent Heritage. I think I initially hoped for a brighter/purer red, but this seems fitting with retro palettes and is, in person, intriguing in its own way. 

The one thing I'm a bit ambivalent about is the etched frame and inscription on the side of the pen--"Olympic Games Paris 1924". According to the materials that arrived with the pen, the framing is modeled after something from the 1924 Olympic Report.  The etched frame is the same color as the pen, but the print looks like a light yellow. (Or perhaps it's just an affect of the inscribing process?) I might change my mind later, but my present impression is that the frame and inscription are details that I could do without. The typeface and inscription are not heinous or anything, but somehow look a little cheap by comparison with the other detailing. (I don't want to overly compare two different heritage designs, but I much prefer like the vintage logo inscription and typface of the 1906 Heritage serpent and spider pens.)

Does the embargo apply to these forums?

If not, I can perhaps post some pics later, with comparisons to the James Dean and coral serpent. 

cheers!