Seeking a waterproof or water-resistant purple ink. Any recommendations?

Surlyprof

7 hours ago, Runnin_Ute said:

I believe that KWZI has an iron gall or two or three in the purple range. I haven't tried them, so don't know how water resistant they are. They also have greens, reds, at least one orange....

I’d never heard of KWZ.  Their Iron Gall Violet #3 looks promising.  Thank you.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Surlyprof

• yazeh

• kestrel

• XYZZY

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a few of the KWZI IG purples.  I'd have to look up my tests of them, though (I have IG Violet #3, IG Gummiberry -- which is a great color as I recall -- and IG Grey Plum; I apparently also have a sample of IG Violet #2, but don't remember it well enough.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@inkstainedruth, do you remember what your experience was with the KWZ inks as far as water resistance goes?  I didn't know about their inks when I ordered my samples.  Too bad as they have a few really nice colors as @inkstainedruth mentioned.  I just received the samples in the mail today.  I have a 3 of the Octopus inks to try out, 5 Noodler's and a J Herbin to experiment with.  All were listed on the Van Ness site from medium to high water resistance.  I'll know soon enough and will try to post what I find out! 

Thank you everyone who made suggestions so far.  I've learned a lot and I'm so happy to hear that I'm not alone in my love of purple.

I have KWZI IG Gummiberry and agree with @inkstainedruththat it is a lovely color.  I will run a waterfastness test on it tomorrow and report back unless that nasty storm approaching us knocks out the power.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I find KWZ IG Gummiberry to be water resistant, but not waterproof. It leaves a dark grey line when the dye has washed away.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

@Surlyprofin the OP you mentioned you use these inks with watercolors.  Does that mean that by "waterproof" you're looking for an ink that doesn't budge at all when it gets wet?

Oftentimes by waterproof somebody is just looking for an ink that is guaranteed to leave something on the paper, even if not all.  Many inks are mixes of different dyes with different levels of waterproofness, and when wet some dyes run while others will stay put. 

There is Sailor Storia Magic Purple.  But the Storia inks are pigmented which you are seeking to avoid, and they dry to a rather uninspiring chalky appearance which many do not like.  As for staining...I had a sample 5 years ago and just don't remember if it stained or not.

So 5his is kind of out of left field, but  I just got an NOS bottle of Waterman’s Patrician Purple for Xmas. It’s a beautiful purple that’s waterproof. Mine is a deeper purple than the reviewer’s in the ink reviews forum. It’s also made in the US and not Montreal. I haven’t seen any staining yet, but it’s early days. Here’s the bay of enablement’s link in case anyone is interested: 

Waterman’s Patrician Purple

large.IMG_0622.jpeg.6868f4111c4c9c26e8dee217528caf86.jpeg

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

7 hours ago, XYZZY said:

@Surlyprofin the OP you mentioned you use these inks with watercolors.  Does that mean that by "waterproof" you're looking for an ink that doesn't budge at all when it gets wet?

Oftentimes by waterproof somebody is just looking for an ink that is guaranteed to leave something on the paper, even if not all.  Many inks are mixes of different dyes with different levels of waterproofness, and when wet some dyes run while others will stay put.

My goal is a good purple writing ink that with medium to high water resistance for writing.  I have waterproof inks for sketching and watercolor.  I mostly use DeAtramentis Document inks for that.  When I originally posted this, I had just purchased my first grail pen for writing.  I adore this pen and had grown concerned when I read that the pigmented inks I own (DeAtramentis Document and Platinum Carbon) might be hard on pens.  Many people were warning to clean often for that reason.  I’m not too concerned about staining the converter.  It’s a Con-70 and totally replaceable.  I was more concerned that a pigmented ink might, over time, build up in the nib.  That is why I have been seeking alternatives, although that may be naive and alarmist on my part.  I’m still learning here.  As far as waterproof/resistant goes, I carry a notebook when I travel and have been caught in the rain on occasion (It rained 5 of the 9 days we were in Vienna recently).  The pages will probably be fairly protected but, just in case, I’d hate to lose what I’ve written before I can transcribe it into a computer (at least the bits worth transcribing).  So, as long as a faint representation of what was written still exists if a notebook gets wet, I would be satisfied.

6 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

So 5his is kind of out of left field, but  I just got an NOS bottle of Waterman’s Patrician Purple for Xmas. It’s a beautiful purple that’s waterproof. Mine is a deeper purple than the reviewer’s in the ink reviews forum. It’s also made in the US and not Montreal. I haven’t seen any staining yet, but it’s early days. Here’s the bay of enablement’s link in case anyone is interested: 

Waterman’s Patrician Purple

large.IMG_0622.jpeg.6868f4111c4c9c26e8dee217528caf86.jpeg

That IS a beautiful purple.  Between this and the KWZ inks that were suggested, I may have to make a second sample order!  Thanks @Penguincollector for contributing this to the mix.

Here's the water resistance test on KWZ IG Gummiberry.  The writing samples were done with a 19th century dip nib and a century old Conklin Crescent 50.  The dip nib puts down a lot of ink and the writing looks almost black.  I sprinkled water on the middle section and let it dry.  The running water test was done by running cold tap water at medium force across the paper for about a minute and letting that test air dry.  Photos taken with an Olympus TG-4 with flash.  The image was exposure corrected but no color corrected.KWZIGGummiberryTestcopy.jpg.8a6518e6334d82860754d50b2158629a.jpg

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

13 hours ago, Surlyprof said:

.  When I originally posted this, I had just purchased my first grail pen for writing.  I adore this pen and had grown concerned when I read that the pigmented inks I own (DeAtramentis Document and Platinum Carbon) might be hard on pens.  Many people were warning to clean often for that reason.  

In my experience if you stick to one ink and the pen is well sealed, you shouldn't have any problem. I have had Kung Te-Cheng/Polar Green/ General of the Armies for at least 3 year in Kawecos. I had never had any problem. When I cleaned the pens for reviewing this year, it was surprisingly straight forward and it took me one day. Though as a safe measure I used Monteverde's cleaning solution to check for any residual ink.  I have also a Jinhao which has been filled continuously only with Baystate Blue for the past 3 years. It still works more or less. As Jinhaos are notoriously drafty :D

13 hours ago, Surlyprof said:

I’m not too concerned about staining the converter.  It’s a Con-70 and totally replaceable.  I was more concerned that a pigmented ink might, over time, build up in the nib.

Feed more likely!

On 1/5/2024 at 12:14 PM, Surlyprof said:

A little update on this thread.  I just ordered 9 different purple samples from Van Ness yesterday.  I’ll try to post a comparison later.  That wasn’t enough to qualify for free shipping so, of course, I had to order the purple pen to test them in!  IMG_5729.thumb.jpeg.103d8cd695884bdc18df2dc00850af21.jpeg

My first TWSBI.  The free shipping makes it almost free, right?

Great colors in a great picture...👍

22 hours ago, Surlyprof said:

My goal is a good purple writing ink that with medium to high water resistance for writing.  I have waterproof inks for sketching and watercolor.  I mostly use DeAtramentis Document inks for that.  When I originally posted this, I had just purchased my first grail pen for writing.  I adore this pen and had grown concerned when I read that the pigmented inks I own (DeAtramentis Document and Platinum Carbon) might be hard on pens.  Many people were warning to clean often for that reason.  I’m not too concerned about staining the converter.  It’s a Con-70 and totally replaceable.  I was more concerned that a pigmented ink might, over time, build up in the nib.  That is why I have been seeking alternatives, although that may be naive and alarmist on my part.  I’m still learning here.  As far as waterproof/resistant goes, I carry a notebook when I travel and have been caught in the rain on occasion (It rained 5 of the 9 days we were in Vienna recently).  The pages will probably be fairly protected but, just in case, I’d hate to lose what I’ve written before I can transcribe it into a computer (at least the bits worth transcribing).  So, as long as a faint representation of what was written still exists if a notebook gets wet, I would be satisfied.

If your goal is low maintenance then you should first consult some of the many threads here on FPN about Iron Gall inks before you try the KWZ inks.  I don't avoid IG inks, I've put them in all of my expensive pens at one point or another, but IG inks have their own special "care and feeding" requirements seem to scare people away, similar to some people's choice to avoid pigmented inks.  If you're going to go the IG route then also look at Scabiosa from Rohrer & Klingner, it's a nice dusky purple.

I'm careful to not let ink dry in my pens, and the idea of an IG or pigment ink is certainly more worrisome than the idea of a dye based ink drying there.  Having said that, though, I don't actually do anything differently with IG or pigment inks than with dye based inks, other than needing a different cleaning solution for the IGs.  My personal grail pen has been used continuously with a pigmented ink since late 2022: I haven't cleaned it since then, just refilling whether it gets empty.  It's fine.

17 minutes ago, XYZZY said:

If your goal is low maintenance then you should first consult some of the many threads here on FPN about Iron Gall inks before you try the KWZ inks.  I don't avoid IG inks, I've put them in all of my expensive pens at one point or another, but IG inks have their own special "care and feeding" requirements seem to scare people away, similar to some people's choice to avoid pigmented inks.  If you're going to go the IG route then also look at Scabiosa from Rohrer & Klingner, it's a nice dusky purple.

I'm careful to not let ink dry in my pens, and the idea of an IG or pigment ink is certainly more worrisome than the idea of a dye based ink drying there.  Having said that, though, I don't actually do anything differently with IG or pigment inks than with dye based inks, other than needing a different cleaning solution for the IGs.  My personal grail pen has been used continuously with a pigmented ink since late 2022: I haven't cleaned it since then, just refilling whether it gets empty.  It's fine.

This is very reassuring.  I’m beginning to feel like my hand-wringing may be unnecessary, especially since I love the DeAtramentis Document Violet flow and color.  The pens I’m using it in are used most days.  I don’t regret starting the thread though.  I’ve been learning a lot.  I’ll try to find time to finish my ink tests and add them to the thread. 

2 hours ago, Surlyprof said:

This is very reassuring.  I’m beginning to feel like my hand-wringing may be unnecessary, especially since I love the DeAtramentis Document Violet flow and color.  The pens I’m using it in are used most days.  I don’t regret starting the thread though.  I’ve been learning a lot.  I’ll try to find time to finish my ink tests and add them to the thread. 

I would say unless, your pen or section is transparent, I wouldn't bother. Purple inks tend to stain. If you want cheaper you can try the Artist series, they are waterproof too :D

And sometimes we need to ask a question to realize that we have is what we like :D

23 hours ago, yazeh said:

And sometimes we need to ask a question to realize that we have is what we like :D

…so true!

18 hours ago, Surlyprof said:

…so true!

One thing I forgot, In case you don't know, Sailor Doyou and Noodler's Red Rattler Eel remove stain from fountain pen sections and convertors. You can check some other threads which explore it :)

On 1/12/2024 at 3:47 PM, yazeh said:

One thing I forgot, In case you don't know, Sailor Doyou and Noodler's Red Rattler Eel remove stain from fountain pen sections and convertors. You can check some other threads which explore it :)

Thank you, very interesting. I did not know. :) 

2 hours ago, RedPie said:

Thank you, very interesting. I did not know. :) 

:)