yazeh

Noodler’s Empire Red 

Another eternal/forgery proof Coral red from Noodler’s, originally specific for the British market but now available in North America. It's pricier than the normal lineup of Noodler's line. 

Ink is touted as fluorescent but I couldn't detect any fluorescence with my UV flashlight. 

It’s wet, coral red ink , lacking in the lubrication department. It’s pleasant enough to use, but I won’t be buying a bottle of it, in case you’re wondering. ;)

It has some shading as you can see with a broad nib. All the other shading you see, is exaggerated by the scanner.

I used most of the ink on cheap envelopes and it really behaved well. 

Let's start with the chroma, which looks like blood red. 

large.ChromaEmpireRed.jpeg.5ca44153070cce79a77a3ca9b5cddc6e.jpeg

Writing samples:

I tried to find humorous quotes about the holiday season to add some levity ;)

large.RhodiaEmpireRed.jpeg.26ebe6d303ec788bb8f968ed2d150a95.jpeg

large.Midori-EmpireRed.jpeg.7ffbf034fe2cae3bd2d275cf66d50e5a.jpeg

large.Tr68gr-EmpireRed.jpeg.ee1baee1173bb3dc1509e872e830d41a.jpeglarge.HammermillEmpireRed.jpg.1181343a82ada3b728a09de7f80f6f12.jpg

Photo:

large.EmpireRed.jpg.f64c272e43b9568f8bdb125cc9a529f6.jpg

Comparison: 

large.Comparison-Empire-KOala.jpeg.8b29dcb56bc9d72c6d2ff3395f1cb94b.jpeg

Water test:

large.Watertest-EmpireRed.jpeg.f82c7a17747c16786593472bde247a9a.jpeg

and finally an art work: Stirred not shaken, which I hope it's self explanatory :D

Other inks used:

Platinum Carbon Black

Akkerman Delfts Blauw

J Herbin Vert Empire

stirred_not_shaken__by_yazeh1_dgj422q-41

• Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Lamy Safari (EF/F/M/B/Stub 1.1), Nibcreaper semi-flex
  • What I liked: Colour, didn’t dry up in long writing sessions. 
  • What I did not like: Lack of lubrication, long dry time on Japanese paper, 
  • What some might not like: Long dry times on Japanese paper, price 
  • Shading: Not really, only 
  • Ghosting: Faint on copy paper
  • Bleed through: Negligible on copy paper. 
  • Flow Rate: Wet
  • Lubrication: Below average.
  • Nib Dry-out: Not at all.
  • Start-up: No.
  • Saturation: Reddish. 
  • Shading Potential: With broad nibs 
  • Sheen: Beyond dismal. 
  • Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice. 
  • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
  • Staining (pen): Did not notice.
  • Clogging: No.
  • Cleaning: It’s a waterproof, red ink, so do the math. 
  • Water resistance: Excellant
  • Availability: 90 ml / 3 oz bottles. 

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• inkstainedruth

• Mercian

"Visit people only once a year." :lticaptd:That's me!

Seems like the "Empire" in the name would command a darker red, but whatever... :)  Love the crowned swatch kitty - everyone who knows anything knows that cats are the ones who rule the world... :P

:lol: Napoleon Kitty is fabulous!

Love the artwork.  Love more that the British theme is drawn with inks from the US, Japan, France, and the Netherlands! :lticaptd: (Though it's possible Diamine make Akkerman inks, so there's that.)  Anywho, very cool kitty, wonderful mouse-bartender. :)

Great review, as always, @yazeh!  Thank you for all the smiles this Friday morning. :)

Thanks for yet another "offer". Looks more like a brick and mortar coral. Not being into Noodles, I'll stick with my Fox. Now if it really were fluorescent, that might be worth it....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Where's my bandage?  🤣

I have Skrip Red!  And I had some droplets of Park Red in a bottle, that I played with but don't recall what I thought of it.

Though I do not imagine I will buy this ink, I love your review.  Made me laugh, much needed.  Very very cool sketches, also smile-inducing.  I look forward to these. Thanks so much, @yazeh

for all your inky daring.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

"Visit people only once a year." :lticaptd:That's me!

Glad to know I'm not the only one :lticaptd:

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Seems like the "Empire" in the name would command a darker red, but whatever... :)  Love the crowned swatch kitty - everyone who knows anything knows that cats are the ones who rule the world... :P

I do agree, I had expected a darker colour!  🙏

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:lol: Napoleon Kitty is fabulous!

Psss! It's supposed to be Nelson, but then those dudes dressed the same way... much like nowadays  ;) :D

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Love the artwork.  Love more that the British theme is drawn with inks from the US, Japan, France, and the Netherlands! :lticaptd: (Though it's possible Diamine make Akkerman inks, so there's that.)  Anywho, very cool kitty, wonderful mouse-bartender. :)

We are one in the end :) at least I hope so...

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Great review, as always, @yazeh!  Thank you for all the smiles this Friday morning. :)

Glad to know that. We all need smiles :)

1 hour ago, lapis said:

Thanks for yet another "offer". Looks more like a brick and mortar coral. Not being into Noodles, I'll stick with my Fox. Now if it really were fluorescent, that might be worth it....

Yeah, pity the fluorescence is iffy! Fox is the best :) 🦊

47 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Where's my bandage?  🤣

:D

I have Skrip Red!  And I had some droplets of Park Red in a bottle, that I played with but don't recall what I thought of it.

Skrip Red is difficult to clean and Park Red loves water :D

Though I do not imagine I will buy this ink,

Me neither!

I love your review.  Made me laugh, much needed.  Very very cool sketches, also smile-inducing.  I look forward to these. Thanks so much, @yazeh

for all your inky daring.

Glad I brought a much needed smile :) and thank you for your kind words :blush:

@yazeh I tried Empire Red a few years ago and found it sort of blah and underwhelming -- a very washed out red (I remember wondering at the time whether it was Nathan Tardif being "political").  And was kinda glad I'd only gotten a sample, and not a full bottle of it.

But thanks as usual for the comprehensive review -- and the entertaining artwork....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

@yazeh I tried Empire Red a few years ago and found it sort of blah and underwhelming

I do agree. I still have to find a red I like. I don't know if it's the colour or if it's the inks :D

-- a very washed out red (I remember wondering at the time whether it was Nathan Tardif being "political").  

Everything is possible ;)

And was kinda glad I'd only gotten a sample, and not a full bottle of it.

Same here!

But thanks as usual for the comprehensive review -- and the entertaining artwork....

Most welcome 🙏

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Psss! It's supposed to be Nelson, but then those dudes dressed the same way... much like nowadays  ;) :D

Oops.  I thought he had his paw tucked into his coat Napoleon style!  Oh well.  I'm American - we're not supposed to know anything about the Brits except that we sent them packing! ;) :P

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

We are one in the end :) at least I hope so...

Amen to that!

1 hour ago, SLinkster said:

Excellent review

🙏

but that ink won't be my cup of tea.

Apt expression in this case :)

It looks orange leaning watermelon to me. Not a color I'd call red.

Exactly! That was impression too!

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Oops.  I thought he had his paw tucked into his coat Napoleon style! 

I think it was thing back then ;) 

1200px-HoratioNelson1.jpg

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Oh well.  I'm American - we're not supposed to know anything about the Brits except that we sent them packing! ;) :P

:D

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Amen to that!

🙏

28 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I think it was thing back then ;) 

Dude must have lost an arm - that sleeve is empty!  Googling.  Yep.  Per Wikipedia:

Shortly after that battle, Nelson took part in the Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, where the attack failed and he lost his right arm, forcing him to return to England to recuperate.

Go figure.

I've heard people theorize that Napoleon had an ulcer and that's why he kept his hand under his jacket - massaging his sore stomach.

When I was on a trip to England in the early 1970s, we were on a four day bus trip through southern England, which included going to Portsmouth.  Our group got to tour Nelson's flag ship (HMS Victory) and the thing I remember most about that was how low the ceiling was in the bottommost deck, where the ship's surgery was.  And that the guide said that the ship's surgeon was OVER 6' tall (so, it meant that he had to basically stoop over or bend his neck any time he was working on a patient...).

A number of years later, my parents took another trip to England, including going back to Portsmouth -- and their tour guide could NOT understand why my parents didn't want to go see HMS Victory, and my mom said that they told her "We've SEEN HMS Victory!"  WE want to see the Mary Rose!" (which of course had not been found -- let alone raised -- in the early 1970s).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

Dude must have lost an arm - that sleeve is empty!  Googling.  Yep.  Per Wikipedia:

Go figure.

👍

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

I've heard people theorize that Napoleon had an ulcer and that's why he kept his hand under his jacket - massaging his sore stomach.

Yep! If we check photographs/ paintings of every decade, often times there's a trend, we know if it's the 30s, 40s etc. As of the paintings, they all wore the same tricorn hats and the same kind of medals etc. If there's an art historian lurking somewhere, they can probably tell us right away, why this pose/ painting belong to this or that era :)

25 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Yep! If we check photographs/ paintings of every decade, often times there's a trend, we know if it's the 30s, 40s etc. As of the paintings, they all wore the same tricorn hats and the same kind of medals etc. If there's an art historian lurking somewhere, they can probably tell us right away, why this pose/ painting belong to this or that era :)

:thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Just a note about the ‘surprisingly’ pinkish - as opposed to ‘dark red’ - colour of ‘Empire Red’.

In my capacity as a Britisher, I advise you to search the interwebs for a map of the world that shows the extent/territories of the British Empire; specifically, any map of the Empire that was produced in Britain back when we had such a thing.

On such maps, the territories of the Empire were all coloured ‘red’ - but I, for one, have always considered the colour in question on the maps in question to be much more of a ‘pink’ colour than a ‘true red’.

I think that the maps may have been coloured by producing colour-washes with red ink, and the resultant dilution therefore ‘enpinkulating’ the apparent colour.

In any case, the coral/pink tone of ‘Empire Red’ is presumably a consequence of Mr. Tardif having attempted to reproduce the colour of ‘red’ with which Victoria Regina (Indiæ Imperatrix)’s loyal subjects chose to illustrate their maps of her territories and dominions.

Slàinte,
M.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png