First restoration: Waterman's 515 England

thebruce

Hi there - new member here! Ive been lurking for a while and the forum gave me the courage to restore my first vintage pen: a waterman's 515 england. I bought the pen years ago and it was in good shape but a bit scratchy so I didn't use it much. I recently dusted it off and got the courage to start taking it apart and restoring it. Things done:

- removed the sac and cleaned out the gunk  

- removed the lever box and cleaned and polished 

- removed the nib and feed and polished 

- I wasnt able to figure out how to remove the clip. I read it was riveted on so didn't mess with that. 

- I polished the barrel and cap. 

Wow what a difference! It looks brand new. I thought the gold was worn off but the polish made it all look like new. 

I'm just waiting for a new ink sac that should arrive in a few days. 

But I wanted to get some advice on how to smooth the nib. It's really scratchy, particularly if you pull it towards you. It looks like a super fine thats been worn to a 45 degree angle over the years. I checked the alignment and adjusted slightly. I also did some minor polishing on 8k and 12k micro mesh. That help a bit. But I think it's going to take more work and wanted to get some advice from the pros before going too deep. 

Any tips appreciated. I attached a couple photos. 

IMG_3721.jpeg

IMG_3727 2.jpeg

IMG_3726.jpeg

IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3730.jpeg

IMG_3728.jpeg

IMG_3731.jpeg

IMG_3732.jpeg

IMG_3725.jpeg

Edited by thebruce

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebruce

• OCArt

• Inkyways

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice job! It looks like an architect nib with wide horizontal strokes and narrow vertical ones. Can you please post a writing sample?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thanks @OCArt! I will try to get in a few days. Im still waiting for the ink sac to arrive and will replace that on Monday. You might be right on the architect nib. It's ok when u run it flat but any slight angle on the pen it will catch and edge. Can those nibs to smoothed on the corners to eliminate that? 

A couple other questions ive had: 

1. Which way does the pressure bar slide in? I thought the stopper tab would be closer to the nib ie you slide it in until it hits the stopper tab. But I think thats wrong as I wasnt able to get the section back on because it was running into the pressure bar. So instead I flipped it around and I think the lever goes over the stopper clip and then locks behind it, so the bar can't fall out. That worked but it sounds like the pressure bar is lose as it rattles a bit. I assume with the sac it will have pressure on it but wanted to double check I did it correctly. 

2. The tines look like the might be touching (which also might be why it was so dry and scratchy). I tried a feeler gauge and down near the breather hole .004mm goes through, but not at the nib. (unfortunately my feeler gauge doesnt go below that so im getting a new one). I think the nib should be around .002mm and just wanted to confirm that sounds about right. 

3. And sorry last question :) Can anyone describe the 515 model. When you look at the Waterman models ive never seen a listing of the "515". I saw one reference to the "Commando" being the 515. Was the 515 an English model number?  

Thanks! 

Edited by thebruce

• 3 months later...

I think this nib is a reground  nib to this architect grinding. That is why it seems that scratchy . In vintage waterman's   I have not seen any of the older nibs ground in to this shape. There are many " left oblique " and broad stub nibs though.

I think  this nib is very difficult to get into another shape as that will get  some more losing of the tip material to change the way to a broader line writing. I am guessing and this is what I thing in my openion. Somebody else may give a better openion with more expertise knowledge. 

But it is lovely  pen with  a special nib. Waterman No6 is always a good nib and it is one of the largest nib. But the size of the nib docent matter as there are no2 Top nibs which are very soft and super soft and they are magical writers.  

But finding a magic  in a vintage pen is a a rare find .

• 6 months later...

Quick update on this restoration: I tried to tune the nib from the quasi-architect grind it had, and just messed it up. It didnt have any material. So i was able to source another 515 frankenpen off ebay and swap out the #5 nib. It writes wonderfully. Its a F/EF but is super smooth and soft. Its quickly becoming one of my favorite writers in the collection. 

I dont know why these old Watermans dont get more attention for their nibs (or maybe they do and i'm just late to the party). 

IMG_8713.jpeg