Alternate nibs for Jinhao x450

AmericanMonk

I quite like the Jinhao x450 but don't like the stock medium nibs (just too big for my writing style). I've tried the Zebra G frankenpen idea but I could never re-shape the curvature of the nib to get it to work well and the nib and feed wound up jamming in the grip section. I broke them when I tried to get them out.

I'd rather not try that again.

I've also tried Noodler's brand nibs with no luck.

All of my Jinhao F nibs are #5s.

Does anybody know of any nibs that work easily and reliably? F or stub/italic are preferred, but EF, Flex, and Japanese M are good, too.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AmericanMonk

• Jorge

• Karmachanic

• mixink

4 hours ago, Jorge said:

I suggest you to try a Jinhao #6 F nib. I prefer them over the M´s.

The easiest and cheapest option to start with.

Ah HA! Thanks for confirming that #6 F exist! I own some Centennial 100s so I knew they had to exist... somewhere. I have been searching every few months and could find Jinhao #6 M and fude and I could find Jinhao #5 F nibs, but I couldn't find Jinhao #6 F nibs.

But I think I have finally found EF and F #6 Jinhao nibs: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805815293112.html

I'm not a huge fan of the price of the EF and F being 3 times the price of the Mediums but that's a lot cheaper than Goulet.

Are you familiar with whether or not the Kaigelu or Hongdian nibs work with the x450? I've been wanting to try the "long blade" nib.

On 11/25/2023 at 2:28 PM, AmericanMonk said:

Ah HA! Thanks for confirming that #6 F exist! I own some Centennial 100s so I knew they had to exist... somewhere. I have been searching every few months and could find Jinhao #6 M and fude and I could find Jinhao #5 F nibs, but I couldn't find Jinhao #6 F nibs.

But I think I have finally found EF and F #6 Jinhao nibs: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805815293112.html

I'm not a huge fan of the price of the EF and F being 3 times the price of the Mediums but that's a lot cheaper than Goulet.

Are you familiar with whether or not the Kaigelu or Hongdian nibs work with the x450? I've been wanting to try the "long blade" nib.

Sorry but I have not experienced other nibs in my x450 s as the Jinhao #6 F gave me what I was expecting and looking for.

However, I think I have read in other threads here that the #6 Kaigelu nibs are not fully compatible with other pen brands as they are slightly different in size. I would suggest therefore that you double check compatibility in this forum before purchasing their "long blade" nib (and these are even more expensive).

5 hours ago, Jorge said:

Sorry but I have not experienced other nibs in my x450 s as the Jinhao #6 F gave me what I was expecting and looking for.

Did your #6 F come with your x450 then? I've only ever seen them offered in M or fude.

5 hours ago, Jorge said:

However, I think I have read in other threads here that the #6 Kaigelu nibs are not fully compatible with other pen brands as they are slightly different in size. I would suggest therefore that you double check compatibility in this forum before purchasing their "long blade" nib (and these are even more expensive).

Thanks! That's good to know. I'll skip the nib and just buy long-bladed pen at some point.

46 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Bock/Jowo #6 nibs.  EF to 1.5 stub.

Nice, thank you!

17 hours ago, AmericanMonk said:

Did your #6 F come with your x450 then? I've only ever seen them offered in M or fude.

No, all of my x450s came originally with the "18KGP" - M nib. 

I bought the #6 F Jinhao nibs as spares from a couple of sellers in Aliexpress about three years ago.

If I remember well , one of them was "jewelrymathematics" a well known and reputed vendor since many years.

I hope this helps.

On 11/27/2023 at 4:41 PM, Karmachanic said:

Bock/Jowo #6 nibs.  EF to 1.5 stub.

I had more luck with Jowo nibs. When I tried to use Bock nibs there is always a gap between the feed and nib. 

Thanks for that. 

In my experience Bock nibs fit Jowo feeds but Jowo nibs on Bock feeds have that gap.

Add lightness and simplicate.

@mixink@Karmachanic Do either of you know if either of the Jowo or Bock feeds will fit in the x450? If I remember correctly, Goulet's nibs are Jowo. They're not available as nib units and as far as I know I won't need a feed.

15 hours ago, AmericanMonk said:

@mixink@Karmachanic Do either of you know if either of the Jowo or Bock feeds will fit in the x450? If I remember correctly, Goulet's nibs are Jowo. They're not available as nib units and as far as I know I won't need a feed.

My experience is with the original Jinhao feed. I don’t know whether you can replace the feed with Bock or Jowo feed. 

24 minutes ago, mixink said:

My experience is with the original Jinhao feed.

Same

Add lightness and simplicate.