Dating a Cross Century, roughly

Cuppatea

Just bought an old Cross fountain pen in an antique shop. I'm new to Cross. Gold plated F nib. Can anyone help with the date, approximately? A clue: there is a full box of cartridges with a price of $1.25 penciled on. The booklet order form says same box for $1.00.

There is a box but no outer sleeve.

thanks!

IMG_0156.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cuppatea

• Penguincollector

• rff000

• dadbar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say it’s ‘80s to early ‘90s probably. 1984 was when they reissued a fountain pen (for the US market, not sure about elsewhere) and they changed logos and box designs in the ‘90s and then again recently. What color is the box cover?

Top 5 of 24 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Thanks! Here is the box. There is a small round silver sticker on the end with F in red. 

image.jpg

Edited by Cuppatea
Add info

My Century’s box is really similar and it’s from the mid ‘90s. 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Anytime, sorry that it can’t get more specific. Cross doesn’t do date codes.

• 1 month later...

It looks like a dead ringer for my original Cross Century, bought somewhere in the 80's from the fountain pen counter in a JC Penney's store. Here is a photo. The dent in the barrel was caused by my driving over it in my 1969 Plymouth Valiant. Cross replaced the broken parts but left me the memento of a dented barrel. Note, not a "Classic" Century and not a Century II, but just a plain old Cross Century.

cross_cent.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks, rff000! That is good info too. Thanks to everyone.

i just got an ink order from Appelboom. I don’t think I described above how this pen wrote, i.e. not great. So I ordered Cross ink, and the Century loves it! Also, it is archival ink. I'll try it in other dry fine nib pens...when my other 25 pens now inked run out...

I know this isn't the best pen ever, but I do like it. Pleasant to write with.

• 2 weeks later...

The one caution with this pen is to be careful with the trim ring right below the nib and at the top of the section. I never used cartridges and only used ink converters. But, I used to dip the pen in the ink with the trim ring also dipped into the ink. Gradually ink started to seep in and my fingers always got ink stained from touching the bottom of the trim ring when using the pen. I first thought it was a leak from the feed or the converter but I eventually got all of the ink out from under the trim ring and I never dip the ring in ink anymore. This can get tricky and one way to deal with it is to fill the converter separately and then re-attach it. No more leaks from under the ring since I solved this. I read of a lot of people that had this issue and just gave up on the pens, thinking that they were defective.

• 4 months later...

I had a similar Cross Century in the mid to late 1980's- it had the same case.

Don't even bother using those cartridges. I've found that Cross cartridge ink works horribly in these pens- use the converter with better ink