Made some aluminum dip pen holders

StrawberryDaquiri

Found some nibs while hanging out before work earlier this week but the only holder I could find was way to narrow for my fat fingers, so a trip to the hardware store and a little elbow grease later and I have a holder tuned for each style of nib 

I know they are a little crude but they work :3 

1105232136.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USG

• StrawberryDaquiri

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, StrawberryDaquiri said:

Found some nibs while hanging out before work earlier this week but the only holder I could find was way to narrow for my fat fingers, so a trip to the hardware store and a little elbow grease later and I have a holder tuned for each style of nib 

I know they are a little crude but they work :3 

1105232136.jpg

That looks interesting…. What did you make the handles out of?  It looks like aluminum tubing.  How did you make the handles?  What was your procedure?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

1 hour ago, USG said:

That looks interesting…. What did you make the handles out of?  It looks like aluminum tubing.  How did you make the handles?  What was your procedure?

They are done out of a 3/8 by 36 inch round bar, to cut to length with a hacksaw. Once I had my blanks I center drilled them to size in work's mini mill. To my great shame the groove and the end tapers were done by running them against a chalked file in a power drill (coating the file with chalk keeps the aluminum from sticking) I didn't really work to any sort of plan, I just did the strait walled one first and as I got comfortable I put a little more shaping on each one progressively 

:3 ✒

14 minutes ago, StrawberryDaquiri said:

They are done out of a 3/8 by 36 inch round bar, to cut to length with a hacksaw. Once I had my blanks I center drilled them to size in work's mini mill. To my great shame the groove and the end tapers were done by running them against a chalked file in a power drill (coating the file with chalk keeps the aluminum from sticking) I didn't really work to any sort of plan, I just did the strait walled one first and as I got comfortable I put a little more shaping on each one progressively 

:3 ✒

Wow, I didn't realize that they were bar stock.... 😲  nice work.  Beyond anything I would be prepared to do.

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests