Anderson Pens' Oshkosh Denim

yazeh

Anderson Pens' Oshkosh Denim is a discontinued ink,  given to me graciously by a FPNr who had received a whole bottle thanks to the generosity of another FPN member.

I enjoyed using this ink at first, when inking my trusty Lamy Safari for sketching, taking notes, etc. However, I forgot the pen for about 2 weeks, with the convertor half full. It refused to write even after priming. Finally, I just refilled the pen and it was still sluggish. It was a disappointment to put it mildly. 

The next day, I had the same startup problems but a little priming and the pen was writing well, afterwards. 

I won’t tell you how excruciating it was coaxing ink from the dry Osmiroid, but the pen is problematic and is only tamed by very wet and well lubricated inks. However, it gives an idea about the inks inherent behaviour.

On the positive side for now it has behaved well in Pilot Kakuno.   

I know many rave about the shading of this ink, but for me it’s a blessing that the ink is unobtanium, as it's also slow to dry.

I'm sure there are many better options available.

Let's start by the intriguing chroma:

large.Chroma-AP-OshkoshDenim.jpeg.cb540b43e35bcd3b160a3b922d2af3e8.jpeg

Writing samples:

I decided to take use quotes by indigenous leaders as I assume that chief Oshkosh gave his name to the cities and the denim brand.

large.Rhodia-OskoshDenim.jpeg.483848f0fef59a6b33fbbb2cc3241fcb.jpeglarge.Midori-OskoshDenim.jpeg.5d27eccebb547051bc3c6539ebae04c6.jpeglarge.TR68gr-OskoshDenim.jpeg.a4b99893b7204d4c0e1ec0bc2c0ba0bb.jpeg

Rather well behaved on copy paper, despite what the scan wants you to believe:

large.Hammermill-OskoshDenim.jpg.3061a8d6a274bb2d65b8e936159acafb.jpg

Photo:

large.AndersonsPens-OshkoshDenim.jpg.20f6ae435a377430445cdec576ae1610.jpg

Comparison:

large.ComparisonOshkoshDenim.jpeg.3c29545f0935bed45c018d0242711a44.jpeg

Watertest: 

Decent water resistance under running water (10 seconds)

The minima I let the wateriest to "cure" is 24 hours. 

large.WatertestOshkoshDenim1.jpeg.836f46676245d461d312521804a6e247.jpeg

And finally an art work: A tipi

spacer.png

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Lamy Safari (EF/F/M/B/1.1), Osmiroid Copperplate

· What I liked: Only writing with a broad nib. 

· What I did not like: Flow issues. 

· What some might not like: Same as above, dryness.

· Shading: Yes.

· Ghosting: Not much.

· Bleed through: Faint.

· Flow Rate: Good when used, awful after two weeks. 

· Lubrication: Dry

· Nib Dry-out: Yes

· Start-up: Yes. 

· Saturation: Not bad.

· Shading Potential: Good. 

· Sheen: No.

· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed.

· Nib Creep / “Crud”: No. 

· Staining (pen): No

· Clogging: I’m not so sure

· Cleaning: Yes.

· Water resistance: Ok

· Availability: Unobtanium 

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• Sailor Kenshin

• txomsy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

@yazeh, there's a lot to like about this ink, and a few things not to like.

Love the chroma!  And the color.  Blue blacks and murky blues are my weak spot.  And of course I love the sketches and comparisons.  I hope Kitteh and Mousie are snug in their tipi.

Like the name (Oshkosh I believe was also a brand of clothing?  The slogan is stuck in my head!).  And the fact that this shades.

Not like: Lack of lubrication, hard starting.  Those are always a big No for me.  Maybe it's a good thing this is Unobtainium.  😹

Thanks again for your brave and thorough inky excursions!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Love the swatch card kitty in his bib overalls!!   :lticaptd:Also Chief Mouse-friend in his tipi/tepee.  And that's a very nice tepee you've drawn - no doubt there are stories behind each bit of hide that went into it. 

I'm mad about the shading of this ink, but agree, it's for wide, smooth, wet nibs and pens that seal well. :)   I got mine after it was discontinued, so I've never seen confirmation other than folks here, but they say this is iron gall ink.

Thanks for putting up with its bad behavior to show us the good stuff!

Indeed it certainly looks like an interesting and fun ink. Pity it has been discontinued.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

3 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

@yazeh, there's a lot to like about this ink, and a few things not to like.

:)

Love the chroma!

Me too :)

And the color.

Blue blacks and murky blues are my weak spot.  And of course I love the sketches and comparisons.  I hope Kitteh and Mousie are snug in their tipi.

They were if it were waterproof 😛

The one on my lap is snug, in fact too snug :)

Like the name (Oshkosh I believe was also a brand of clothing?  The slogan is stuck in my head!).  

Yes. But I went with the chief: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Oshkosh

And the fact that this shades.

Not like: Lack of lubrication, hard starting.  Those are always a big No for me.  Maybe it's a good thing this is Unobtainium.  😹

Thanks again for your brave and thorough inky excursions!

Most welcome. Not to forget it's very long dry times :D

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Love the swatch card kitty in his bib overalls!!   :lticaptd:

I forgotten about that one!

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

I'm mad about the shading of this ink,

Awww!:)

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

but agree, it's for wide, smooth, wet nibs and pens that seal well. :) 

So you've had the same experience?

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

I got mine after it was discontinued, so I've never seen confirmation other than folks here, but they say this is iron gall ink.

Thanks for putting up with its bad behavior to show us the good stuff!

It was my impression that it could be IG. But IG has a distinct ferrous scent when in touch with skin, I didn't remark that :)

3 hours ago, txomsy said:

Indeed it certainly looks like an interesting and fun ink. Pity it has been discontinued.

If I had any left I would've sent it along :)

38 minutes ago, yazeh said:

So you've had the same experience?

Well, I've only ever used it in a stub, where it was so wonderful that I don't think I've considered using it in anything else.  Perhaps I should preempt the voting and do an EFNIR on it, but if I'm going to preempt, I think I'll choose cartridges - some of them are showing signs of evaporation!

39 minutes ago, yazeh said:

It was my impression that it could be IG. But IG has a distinct ferrous scent when in touch with skin, I didn't remark that :)

Thank you!  I've always wondered if it really was, and had my doubts, but another vote either way is nice. :)

2 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Well, I've only ever used it in a stub, where it was so wonderful that I don't think I've considered using it in anything else.  Perhaps I should preempt the voting and do an EFNIR on it, but if I'm going to preempt, I think I'll choose cartridges - some of them are showing signs of evaporation!

That would be good idea. I'll be looking forward to it :)

2 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Thank you!  I've always wondered if it really was, and had my doubts, but another vote either way is nice. :)

🙏

Interesting color.  I like the shading you're getting with broader nibs.

I only have one of  Anderson Pens inks (they were made by Scribal Workshops, according to my notes): a bottle of Green Bay; and a couple of their SW's regular lineup as samples -- Cryptid Zhulong and Cryptid Leviathan (and apparently didn't like that last one at all).

Wow -- I completely forgotten about them until now....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Interesting color.  I like the shading you're getting with broader nibs.

Yes, they look handsome but similar to many lovely IG blue blacks :)

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I only have one of  Anderson Pens inks (they were made by Scribal Workshops, according to my notes): a bottle of Green Bay; and a couple of their SW's regular lineup as samples -- Cryptid Zhulong and Cryptid Leviathan (and apparently didn't like that last one at all).

Wow -- I completely forgotten about them until now....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. I believe they don't sell anymore inks for now :)