yazeh

Rohrer & Klingner sketchINK Carmen

I was quite a bit excited when I started the review. The colour seemed promising however, in the end the promising colour was due to a not so thoroughly cleaned feed. :( 

The colour  is quite close to Super5 Delhi which I reviewed prior. 

I was excited when I saw the reddish blob in the chroma but in the end was disappointed by the colour. It’s another pure orange. 

large.ChromaRK-Carmen.jpeg.713e5cb31e5127cb0591440e134f42c0.jpeg

Writing samples:

As you can see the heading and the F nib is darker but soon after the colour reverted to what it should be. 

large.RhodiaCarmen.jpeg.eccece85143cb3fe1e2e8a623470e3f1.jpeg

A comparison page between Super5 Delhi and sketchINK Carmen

large.Midori-CarmenSuper5.jpeg.cd632c5fbf868dbec42f55528f025205.jpeg

large.TR68gr-Carmen.jpeg.4bd98b5b2cf2661bc75aa4538c884c24.jpeg

It's really ugly on copy paper. 

large.HammermillCarmen1.jpg.7813488747823df4a24f0df02f6e2ef4.jpg

photo:

large.CarmenText.jpg.79948965c335ee7734d3ce4214b76041.jpg

Comparison:

large.Orangecomparison.jpeg.fd3051987247694f095e0291781551e5.jpeg

Water test: (Left side was under water)

large.Watertest-Carmen.jpeg.59b3fe8c6c8386d10394539eaa53c28b.jpeg

And finally a homage at the opera Carmen and the fatal flower that seals the tragic destructive relationship:

fatal_flower_by_yazeh1_dgdt21j-pre.jpg?t

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno Ef, Stub , Kaweco Sport (EF/F/M/B,1.9), Kanwrite with an Ahab nib

· What I liked: The name, reddish orange hint. 

· What I did not like: I prefer my oranges on the red side.

· What some might not like: Dryish ink, nanopigment ink,

· Shading: No.

· Ghosting: With very wet pens and have handed writing. ..

· Bleed through: Same as above.

· Flow Rate: Medium

· Lubrication: Dry

· Nib Dry-out: Not noticed. 

· Start-up: No.

· Saturation: No.

· Shading Potential: Dismal. 

· Sheen: No.

· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: No.

· Nib Creep / “Crud”: No.

· Staining (pen): No.

· Clogging: No.

· Cleaning: It's a nano pigment ink. They tend to stick to everything, so you might need to use a penflush to be sure. 

· Water resistance: Excellent.

· Availability: 50 ml

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• inkstainedruth

• namrehsnoom

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, yazeh said:

The colour seemed promising however, in the end the promising colour was due to a not so thoroughly cleaned feed. :( 

That would indeed be disappointing!  Perhaps it's a good ink for mixing, then. :)

Thank you for the review.  I like the color in its darker versions from your writing samples (flex and presumably wetter nibs).  But not enough to run buy a bottle.

Love mousey enamored with Carmen-kitty. :lol:   And that's a very nice flower. :)

Thank you, Yazeh, vor enduring disappointment to bring us this review!

All responses to letters will be delayed. Today, hopefully, I'll be starting the final book of Robin Hobb's liveship trilogy and anticipate I will be unable to do anything but read (and do ink reviews) until I'm done. ;)

14 minutes ago, LizEF said:

That would indeed be disappointing!  Perhaps it's a good ink for mixing, then. :)

As far as I recall all sketchINKS can be mixed :)

Thank you for the review.  I like the color in its darker versions from your writing samples (flex and presumably wetter nibs).  But not enough to run buy a bottle.

Phew :D

Love mousey enamored with Carmen-kitty. :lol:   And that's a very nice flower. :)

Thank you, Yazeh, vor enduring disappointment to bring us this review!

Thanks! Much appreciated :) 🙏

Nice! I've always loved such "multi-colours", although I must admit that I don't find any writing with them all that easy to read. Their orange + yellow -- reminiscent of Apache Sunset and Sazerac -- makes them nice for a drawing in a birthday card, or, as time approaches, alongside a green or two, maybe something for Christmas.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

6 minutes ago, lapis said:

Nice! I've always loved such "multi-colours", although I must admit that I don't find any writing with them all that easy to read. Their orange + yellow -- reminiscent of Apache Sunset and Sazerac -- makes them nice for a drawing in a birthday card, or, as time approaches, alongside a green or two, maybe something for Christmas.

I associate orange more with fall and Halloween and red more with Christmas ! Butt then again why not orange it'll be a nice change from the obvious red :D

Right now, I have a glorious serviceberry in full fall colours from a murky orange, to rust to a reddish orange.... difficult colour to recreate in ink... ;)

Looks very similar to the swab of Super 5 Delhi.  And it does look uninspiring on copy paper.  

But the tulip and the scene from Carmen bring it to life!  Even if I don't intend to buy the ink, I always enjoy reading your ink-splorations, so a big thank-you to @yazeh!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

8 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Looks very similar to the swab of Super 5 Delhi.  And it does look uninspiring on copy paper.  

They are quite similar! 

But the tulip and the scene from Carmen bring it to life!

🙏

Even if I don't intend to buy the ink, I always enjoy reading your ink-splorations, so a big thank-you to @yazeh!

And thank you for your support 🙏

@yazeh The writing sample with the 1.9 mm stub looked promising as far as the shading went.  But for the most part?  Yeah, orange....  

Thanks for persevering through the review, though.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Just now, inkstainedruth said:

@yazeh The writing sample with the 1.9 mm stub looked promising as far as the shading went.

Yes it look handsome with 1.9! But that's stretching it :D

Just now, inkstainedruth said:

But for the most part?  Yeah, orange....  Thanks for persevering through the review, though.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

A pleasure! 🙏

Thanks for reviewing this. I actually quite like the colour (but then, I like most oranges). Super5 Delhi looks quite similar indeed. I might get me a bottle of this Carmen just for the fun of doing an ink shoot-out.

4 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Thanks for reviewing this.

🙏

I actually quite like the colour (but then, I like most oranges.

🙂

Super5 Delhi looks quite similar indeed. I might get me a bottle of this Carmen just for the fun of doing an ink shoot-out.

I'm looking forward to that 😁

40 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Super5 Delhi looks quite similar indeed. I might get me a bottle of this Carmen just for the fun of doing an ink shoot-out.

Quadruple up-vote!! :D

All responses to letters will be delayed. Today, hopefully, I'll be starting the final book of Robin Hobb's liveship trilogy and anticipate I will be unable to do anything but read (and do ink reviews) until I'm done. ;)