Parker Frontier from Luxor - QC is iffy?

subbu68

Got a couple of sections for Parker Frontier by Luxor from India. Used to one to frank a Parker Insignia and the second to replace on a Frontier whose nib I had ground flat earlier. 

The one on Frontier seemed a bit rough to write and thought of taking it as a candidate for smoothening. I  was surprised to see the nib profile when using a loupe. Managed to take a magnified photo with a cell phone though is not so clear. Left tine looks normal and the right one has a kink on the side and a blob at the tip!!! The kink is really deep for  "nib standards". 

PXL_20231021_075526510.thumb.jpg.1f91989955bd7094f8f6f7913f9f4786.jpg

Managed to file down the kink a bit and smoothen it a lot compared to original. 

PXL_20231024_063505276.thumb.jpg.3636b56f968253d7a291c41b0650065b.jpg

Is the QC of Luxor so bad? 

Have to check the other nib I used on Insignia. 

Regards

Subramoniam

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• subbu68

• Penguincollector

• Azulado

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Luxor Parker Frontier and, honestly, I don't think there are many differences when comparing them with the English and American versions.
I bought it second hand, not knowing its origin. When I saw that it was Indian, I was a bit disappointed. Undoubtedly, I had been influenced by the comments posted on the internet. After analyzing it in detail, I don't think there are substantial differences with respect to versions manufactured in other countries. In addition, it is likely that they moved the machinery to India. On the other hand, Luxor is an experienced manufacturer.
The Frontier was always an inexpensive pen and was already flawed in previous versions.  The cap had an unstable closure and the rubber section degraded.
 Cheap Parker's are not famous for the excellence of their finish, no matter where they are made. I will say more, going to another segment, the Sonnet has details unbecoming of its price.
It is clear that inexpensive pens cannot have the same quality control as more expensive ones. Defective nibs can be found in cheap pens from other reputable manufacturers.
Ultimately, my opinion is based on my own very limited experience. My nib is good, as are some reviews of the model I have read or seen, but I cannot say for sure that the defect rate is equal to that of previous factories.

On Amazon India there are 1418 reviews, 78% of which rate it with 4 or 5 stars. If you have the patience to read them all, you may be able to find out more.

https://www.amazon.in/Parker-Frontier-Matte-Black-Fountain/dp/B00LM4VCW8/ref=sr_1_9?qid=1698577500&refinements=p_89%3AParker&s=office&sr=1-9

I have a few Vectors from Luxor, and a couple of Asters, and they are all surprisingly good pens. I didn’t know what to expect because they are so much cheaper than US/UK made Parkers, but so far, so good. I’ve never tried a Frontier, but from what I have read, the QC for that line in general is suspect, no matter where they are made.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Pilot Custom 743 FA, Pilot Green/ Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

There's a Luxor-made Vector I've been coveting -- but none of the Indian based vendors on eBay have 100% positive feedback ratings.  A while back I found a couple that were listed as being from a seller in Queens, NY, and dickered a bit on the price of one, but then two days later the seller cancelled the transaction.  And eBay was like 'Oh, you can't provide feedback because the transaction was cancelled...."  And my response to eBay?  Along the lines of "Hold my beer!"  Because I wasn't the one to cancel -- the seller did.  I don't know if the seller got a better offer, or didn't actually have the pens at ALL (either color) or what.  And I got the notice from PAYPAL before I heard from EITHER eBay or the seller....  So, I didn't care what eBay said at that point.  And gave the negative review ANYWAY....  

Sadly that particular design, "Time Check" was apparently *only* made for the Asian market, which is too bad.  It's a really cool design -- the cap and barrel have a map of the globe with lines marking time zones.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."