Monthly Ink Challenge III – July 2024

This month’s ink set consists of:

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red – in Stypen Harley Davidson

Fritz Schimpf Sommerwind – in TWSBI Vac mini OF

Taccia naka murasaki – in Montblanc Princess Grace M-puck

Monteverde Yosemite Green – in Kaweco Steel Sport F

Here is the introduction of inks and pens on Kyome 70gsm paper:

large.202407MonthlyInks.jpeg.72c6bbde3854e473e1b16bcd8b34b45a.jpeg

Here's another one-page finger exercise with all four inks from today.

large.202407MonthlyWriting.jpeg.ba08fe041603ec40ab55d98e57e4fcd8.jpeg

The themes for July are summer and vacation.

The fountain pens are all sturdy and rigid and can withstand rough conditions. They are (comparably) short pocket pens made either from thick-wall plastic or from metal. All of them are equipped with stiff nibs. When on the road, far away from the defined conditions in an office and at a writing desk, flex or even soft nibs are a no-go. All four pens are suitable to be carried in the backpack or in the bag on the bicycle. Even the LE Montblanc? Yes! I will take also this pen with me when I’m abroad during my vacation.

I will be away from July 8th for the rest of the month, without internet and partly off-grid.

The inspiration quote for July is:

Into the mountains or to the beach – choose your vacation destination!

Take your fountain pen(s), be creative and have fun! I‘m looking forward to your interpretation of the July theme.

See you either July 6th (with some results) or August 4th, latest, in case I can’t manage to produce something creative during the rest of this week.

One life!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InesF

• LizEF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice set once again. :)  The green's a little dark, though - almost looks black from here....  Hope you enjoy your vacation!  Will ponder the prompt.  Lately it's been too hot to function - yes, the AC works, and yet, knowing it's 100°F1 outside still seems draining... (Brains are strange things.)

1That's 37.77°C to the rest of the world, and 310.93K for the total science nerds.  Or 559.67°Rank (Rankine - whatever the heck that is) and 30.22 Reaumur (whatever that might be).

On 6/16/2024 at 7:51 AM, InesF said:

A result for the

Monthly Ink Challenge III – June 2024

Out into the Blue

large.202406Resultballoon.jpeg.6c74ab99030e8b061dcfc884e9272f4d.jpeg

For the sky I used diluted Diamine Aqua Marine and deAtramentis Atlantic Blue, the hills are painted with diluted Pelikan 4001 Dark Green. I drew the balloons and the symbolic vegetation after the background had completely dried. Finally, I used all five inks and fountain pens.

Gorgeous! Adequate words escape me.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

12 hours ago, LizEF said:

[...] and 310.93K for the total science nerds [...]

Thank you, @LizEF! That feels like home! We have had 309 K here last Sunday and everybody I spoke to, wished it was only 300 K. :) :lol:

And yes, the green looks very dark. I tried the Kaweco M-stub nib I ground myself but found it unsuitable. After changing the nib to F, the line was much better defined but was suddenly highly saturated. My first suspect of a not fully clean nib unit was wrong, this is Yosemite Green from a wet F nib. 🤷‍♀️

One life!

1 minute ago, Anne-Sophie said:

Gorgeous! Adequate words escape me.

Thank you! :) You are highly welcome!

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @LizEF! That feels like home! We have had 309 K here last Sunday and everybody I spoke to, wished it was only 300 K. :) :lol:

:lticaptd:

6 hours ago, InesF said:

And yes, the green looks very dark. I tried the Kaweco M-stub nib I ground myself but found it unsuitable. After changing the nib to F, the line was much better defined but was suddenly highly saturated. My first suspect of a not fully clean nib unit was wrong, this is Yosemite Green from a wet F nib. 🤷‍♀️

There's nothing like experimenting to find how things will behave.  Of course, that dark green works well with heading into a mountain forest with some dark evergreens... :)

16 hours ago, LizEF said:

There's nothing like experimenting to find how things will behave.  Of course, that dark green works well with heading into a mountain forest with some dark evergreens... :)

Indeed!

Summer Wind and National Park Green were the two "must have" inks for July, somehow directing me towards my vacation destination ... ;) 

One life!

Ok, I did it, somehow ...

I used all four inks for this drawing and, first time, tried some washes over the ink lines with a slightly wet brush with clear water. In this case for the clouds only.

large.202407MonthlyResult.jpeg.9a1d6975ab893fc2d98801cc08493bc0.jpeg

So far for July. I'll be back in August.

Have a good summer time!

One life!

Lovely, @InesF!  I can see adventurers, trekking through the forest, looking for a place to set up camp as the sun sets. (Or starting their campfire as the day starts.) :)

@InesF Lovely artwork!  Thanks for posting the image!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Here's my version of "Into the mountains..."  (Foothills at the bottom, two ranges of mountains, and some clouds riveted in place...  The scan makes the fuzziness of the ink look worse than it is. Ink is Pilot Mixable Colour Blue (after-the-fact-spoiler-alert).)

large.PilotMixableColourBlueDoodle.jpg.4e27fdc7bb820302a51ac586196964be.jpg

@InesF I just rediscovered this thread. Gorgeous work, I love the Montgolfier ( ;) ) and your summer interpretation. Really feels like vacation. Stunning :thumb: 

@LizEF Really love this. It captures mountain, coolness, a bit of Heidi them, bravo. :D 

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

@LizEF Really love this. It captures mountain, coolness, a bit of Heidi them, bravo. :D 

:) Thank you!

Here is my humorous take on Summer Vacation

Fountain pen inks used: 

Noodler's Lexington Gray

Pilot Red

Rohrere & Klingner sketchInk Marlene + Klara

summer_vacation_by_yazeh1_dhs0fe8-414w-2

14 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Here is my humorous take on Summer Vacation

Fountain pen inks used: 

Noodler's Lexington Gray

Pilot Red

Rohrere & Klingner sketchInk Marlene + Klara

summer_vacation_by_yazeh1_dhs0fe8-414w-2

:lol: Yum, crab legs! 

Another take: Summer time

Faber-Castell Turquoise

Kakimori Kurun

Noodler's Lexington Gray / Polar Brown

summer_time_by_yazeh1_dhssje9-pre.jpg?to

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

...so beautiful!!! ☺️

1 hour ago, RedPie said:

...so beautiful!!! ☺️

🙏🙏🙏

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

Very peaceful (until some fish takes the bait ;) ).  Perfectly communicates early morning on a still lake. :)

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Very peaceful (until some fish takes the bait ;) ).  Perfectly communicates early morning on a still lake. :)

Thanks. It means a lot. The last time I was at a lake was eons ago. What struck me most was a lonesome loon 😊