Monthly Ink Challenge - Season III

InesF

Hmm.  It occurs to me that a doodle I made for the previous ink would work well for this month's theme of contrast:

large.PlatinumChouKuroDoodle.jpg.8331dc5ee8b0eb888614934173e8fbbd.jpg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InesF

• LizEF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, InesF said:

large.202403MonthlyResult.jpeg.632d85baf37b3b892ef933ad9b4ece4c.jpeg

Gorgeous drawing! :) Lovely colors.

On 3/16/2024 at 7:20 PM, LizEF said:

Hmm.  It occurs to me that a doodle I made for the previous ink would work well for this month's theme of contrast:

Indeed, that's a great doodle! It's not only a contrast in colour value. Thank you for sharing it with us! 👍 

On 3/16/2024 at 7:25 PM, LizEF said:

Gorgeous drawing! :) Lovely colors.

Thank you, @LizEF, you are highly welcome!

One life!

5 hours ago, InesF said:

Indeed, that's a great doodle! It's not only a contrast in colour value.

:) Thank you!

5 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you for sharing it with us! 👍

Gladly.

• 2 weeks later...

Monthly Ink Challenge III – April 2024

This months ink set consists of:

Pelikan Edelstein Rose Quartz Mix* – in Montblanc Virginia Woolf F

Robert Oster Muddy Crown – in Conway Stewart JR Mirage M

Robert Oster Muddy Sand** – in Faber-Castell Ambition F

Dominant Industry Leaf Green – in Waterman Exclusive F

*) 20 mL Rose Quartz + 1 mL Pelikan 4001 Violet + 1 mL Pelikan Edelstein Star Ruby + 0.5 mL Iroshizuku tsuki-yo. Finally +1% Gum Arabic to improve the sharp-edged appearance of the lines and to significantly intensifying the shading.

**) Unintentional but best fitting is what the giant sand and dust cloud over Europe does these days: the morning sky looks similar to the Muddy Sand.

The Rose Quartz Mix was a result of chance – I simply added what I guessed would make the ink a bit darker and tried to emphasize its potential without changing its general character. I was lucky with the result. After having it in use during March, I started to like it too much to let it go. So I cancelled my original plan for April and built three new inks around the Rose Quartz Mix.

Here is the introduction of the four inks and pens:

large.202404MonthlyInkspluspens.jpeg.993cd093de8e3ad5f20f201c7e132f57.jpeg

And here is a writing sample of all four inks and the Conway Stewart JR Mirage pen in dusty morning sunlight:

large.202404Monthlymorningwriting.jpeg.3f4eb1abdee02e8667e8d2cd3580211e.jpeg

The basic theme for April is: „how to do something with Rose Quartz?‟ ;) :) 

OK, more honest, please. Winter is over in the northern Hemisphere. Bushes and trees start to show their first green but nature is still dominated by muddy colours. With the days becoming longer and the air becoming warm, we feel fresh motivation for making plans for the near future. It is like the start after hibernation.

The inspiration quote for April is:

A new hope

Take your fountain pen(s), be inspired and have fun! I‘m looking forward to your interpretation of the April theme.

See you April 14th, latest.

One life!

@InesF, that could be my favorite combination yet!  It's gorgeous!

My new hope is keeping me awake nights and waking me up early!  (Training a kitten to sleep on your schedule is no simple task - Klaw's little buddy, Smoke, was obtained in hopes he would have enough energy to keep Klaw entertained before I drop from exhaustion.  The theory is yet unproven... :) )

17 hours ago, LizEF said:

@InesF, that could be my favorite combination yet!  It's gorgeous!

My new hope is keeping me awake nights and waking me up early!  (Training a kitten to sleep on your schedule is no simple task - Klaw's little buddy, Smoke, was obtained in hopes he would have enough energy to keep Klaw entertained before I drop from exhaustion.  The theory is yet unproven... :) )

Thank you, @LizEF, you are most welcome!

I have this set since last Saturday available and like it more with each day. It will grow to one of my favourites as well.

I had two cats over many years, also one black and one European grey tiger. They were so adorable and true family members. Looking at your photos, I think you should consider a thrid one, a white ;) (snow?). :) The more Kitten you have the less each one of them needs you. It's simple math! :rolleyes::D

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

I had two cats over many years, also one black and one European grey tiger. They were so adorable and true family members.

:)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Looking at your photos, I think you should consider a thrid one

No.

7 hours ago, InesF said:

a white ;) (snow?).

No, no.

7 hours ago, InesF said:

The more Kitten you have the less each one of them needs you.

No, no, no.

7 hours ago, InesF said:

It's simple math! :rolleyes::D

Don't say things like that!! :lol:

On 4/2/2024 at 8:37 AM, InesF said:

Looking at your photos, I think you should consider a thrid one

No.

:) 

a white ;) (snow?).

No, no.

😄

The more Kitten you have the less each one of them needs you.

No, no, no.

:lol:

It's simple math! :rolleyes::D

Don't say things like that!! :lol:

:lticaptd:

PS: looking forward to the status in a year from now ... :lol:🤷‍♀️

One life!

5 hours ago, InesF said:

PS: looking forward to the status in a year from now ... :lol:🤷‍♀️

It won't change. The vet suspects Klaw has food allergies. If he does, I'll barely be able to afford to feed him. (Special diets are about 5x the cost of normal cat food (as in reasonable quality food, not the dirt cheap stuff that's mostly garbage).)  Hate to say it, but I'm hoping he has parasites / bacteria / virus or a foreign object in his digestive system... :(

I'm no expoert on cats, but wouldn't it be feasible to feed him the old, traditional way, i.e. giving it a share of home-cooked food?

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

On 4/4/2024 at 8:48 AM, txomsy said:

I'm no expoert on cats, but wouldn't it be feasible to feed him the old, traditional way, i.e. giving it a share of home-cooked food?

If he's allergic, it's to some protein - usually beef, fish, or dairy.  The specialized diets used to conduct "diet trials" are duck, rabbit, venison, and hydrolyzed protein (whatever that is).  Not exactly common people food. It may only be 3x normal cost. Once we know what he's allergic to, either special cat food or me making him a special diet from people food and pet vitamins may work. It'll take months to figure out the allergies, though.

Wow, that's too bad! Sorry to hear it. It is always painful to see a loved pet suffer.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

2 hours ago, txomsy said:

Wow, that's too bad! Sorry to hear it. It is always painful to see a loved pet suffer.

Thanks! Hopefully we can figure it out fast. 

If you live anywhere near a specialty butcher or ethnic grocery, you *may* be able to get duck or rabbit (I've been able to get both in various places in Pittsburgh's Strip District over the years).  Venison is tougher to get, but some butchers may be able to get it for you if they know people who are hunters. 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

15 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

If you live anywhere near a specialty butcher or ethnic grocery, you *may* be able to get duck or rabbit (I've been able to get both in various places in Pittsburgh's Strip District over the years).  Venison is tougher to get, but some butchers may be able to get it for you if they know people who are hunters. 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks!  We'll see how it goes when the test results come in.  I'll update my own thread when that happens - no need to hijack Ines's thread. :)

On 4/3/2024 at 2:47 PM, LizEF said:

It won't change. The vet suspects Klaw has food allergies. If he does, I'll barely be able to afford to feed him. (Special diets are about 5x the cost of normal cat food (as in reasonable quality food, not the dirt cheap stuff that's mostly garbage).)  Hate to say it, but I'm hoping he has parasites / bacteria / virus or a foreign object in his digestive system... :(

Oh! I'm sorry to read that. It may be temporally and may become better later. If it is a parasite, chances are good for a complete cure. No house cat will get parasites from pet food. They get it from hunting wild rodents outdoors.

Hydrolysed protein is derived from cooking meat residues "to death", means to cleave the proteins and making them water soluble. With this process the proteins loose all their structure and can no longer cause immune reactions. It is something you can do by yourself with a pressure cooker adding a bit of pineapple to the meat (or other proteases) - and with many hours of patience. This may be an option if everything else fails.

One life!

5 hours ago, InesF said:

Oh! I'm sorry to read that. It may be temporally and may become better later. If it is a parasite, chances are good for a complete cure. No house cat will get parasites from pet food. They get it from hunting wild rodents outdoors.

Thank you. :)  Klaw doesn't go hunting, but he does go outside on a leash and I suppose if he has parasites they would have to come from whatever is found in the yard - perhaps bird feces...  (I have a bird feeder to attract birds to keep the kitties entertained, so there's more than average bird feces in the yard.)

5 hours ago, InesF said:

Hydrolysed protein is derived from cooking meat residues "to death", means to cleave the proteins and making them water soluble. With this process the proteins loose all their structure and can no longer cause immune reactions.

Thank you! :)

5 hours ago, InesF said:

It is something you can do by yourself with a pressure cooker adding a bit of pineapple to the meat (or other proteases) - and with many hours of patience. This may be an option if everything else fails.

Oh, that's interesting.  I use a pressure cooker quite often to cook pinto beans for burritos and tostadas... :)   I guess this could be an option.  Hopefully test results come today and I'll know more soon...

It's time for some results.

<start of bad excuse> Unfortunately, April was busy so far and I had to do something smaller and more simple. </bad excuse>

Here is the April result, called A New Hope:

large.202404Monthlyresult.jpeg.287692448afc27a6b18a7d6d09b3f1c7.jpeg

Looking forward to your interpretation of the April quote.

See you latest May 5th.

Have a good time!

One life!

50 minutes ago, InesF said:

something smaller and more simple

Sometimes, like this time, small and simple is also beautiful!  I love the little line drawing - and it's perfect for your theme!  Thank you!