Monthly Ink Challenge - Season III

InesF

47 minutes ago, InesF said:

And, please feel invited to participate in the CRV. ;) 

Thanks for the invite but sadly I do not have much to add. I am not familiar with your pens or their reputations and am only familiar with KWZ's Honey and Diamine's Writer's Blood. This is what I've got:

In my very limited experience with KWZ inks, Honey is a beautiful and mostly well-behaved ink. The vanilla scent is always worth mentioning (I love vanilla). For better or worse I am a lefty and KWZ has longer-than-average dry times. The dry times are not as bad as other brands but it is enough that punctuation can still smear. Right-handed people probably will not notice but it would not hurt to have blotting paper for lefties or people who write quickly and flip the page quickly. Some minor transfer onto other surfaces may occur.

But oh the color! Subjectively it is a wonderful ink. The shading is beautiful throughout, in both the darks and highlights. Outside of the dry time I have not had any behavioral issues with it.

Side question: KWZ's Walks Over Vistula can get gummy in pens after ~3 days. I have not noticed such an issue with Honey. Have you?

I do not think that there is anything I could say about Writer's Blood that hasn't already been said. It is juicy and finicky about pens and papers. I have not been one to like burgundy—I bought WB to see what the fuss was all about—but the more I use it, the more I like it. Its personality is found solely in the classy richness of its hue. If you are like me and lack InesF-quality handwriting, WB won't exactly enhance your handwriting's personality. But if you put it into a pen that has a good personality, such as your favorite stub, or onto a cream or ivory paper, this ink is a winner.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InesF

• LizEF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, AmericanMonk said:

Thanks for the invite but sadly I do not have much to add. I am not familiar with your pens or their reputations and am only familiar with KWZ's Honey and Diamine's Writer's Blood. [...]

Oh oh, you have more to add than you thought! :) 

Your opinion and your practical experience with the inks is highly welcome! A year ago I thought buying KWZ Honey was a mistake. Until I used it again (gave it a second chance) in October. By chance, I managed to take the right fountain pen (the Stipula Suprema) and immediately loved the pen and ink pairing! Surprises are everywhere - the more we experiment, the more good moments we have (among the not-so-good moments) ;) . And I fully agree with your opinion about Writers Blood.

I would also love to hear/read your opinion about the two text inspiration parts. As October is already gone, let's focus on November?

Don't worry about handwriting! It's not a competition.

To give you some background story: In creating the November ink set, based on fountain pens I had already in use for October, I strongly wanted to keep Honey and Olivine and complement them with two new inks (four inks have proven to be optimal for a full month of use). While flipping through my ink swatch cards, I found a couple of fitting inks. The next step was to find pens for them and - again by chance - I found the pens and the theme: Food & Drink transported in Amphora & Barrels.

After that I started to make a spontaneous drawing (such as the maple leaf for October) and, same as before, I didn't like it. Now I'm one week in use of the set and slowly a new inspiration forms. I guess, I will make a new drawing and I already found a poem that fits the season and somehow also the November ink theme!

I will post the poem upcoming weekend and the drawing, most probably, the weekend after. However, it's no a competition and I will also take my time ... :P

My hint for you is, if you like to participate: let the inspiration flow! Take the November Ink Set and the November theme as starter. Do not copy it, try to extend it with your interpretation of the season and the theme. Can you make a cross reference from yours to mine?

Yes, it's ambitious. Season III will last 12 month and will have 12 ink sets and 12 topics. You are invited to participate whenever you find the time and when inspiration hits you. ;) Feel welcome!

One life!

On 10/15/2023 at 12:58 AM, InesF said:

It's October 15 and time for some results!

My first idea was to draw an Autumn leaf using the October colours:

image.thumb.jpeg.7b289e8486844af77010602e66817cd4.jpeg

My intention was to draw it with only one line per colour - which didn't work out. I needed 7 lines for the olive green, 6 lines for the honey ochre and two lines for the red. However, at least partly a success. The orange is not from the original October set, it is Montblanc Lucky Orange I received a sample at the Vienna Pelikan Hub! I couldn't resist. ;)

As I was not fully satisfied with the Autumn leaf, I did a second drawing, this time a greeting card with a poem in two versions:

image.thumb.jpeg.3dba8b4b19044ef10587d7df4eda3831.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7cc76eb8fcbcd053d8e0dc0b3bc5a894.jpeg

However, I failed to write in normal handwriting small enough to fit the text into the card. Sorry! I also didn't like to make a Photoshop montage. If you like, you may print the card (here is a version with higher resolution) and use it as intended: sending Autumn greetings to somebody!

That's it for October from my side!

I'm looking forward to see your interpretations of the October Ink Set 2023!

See you latest November 5 with the new ink set.

WOW

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

13 hours ago, InesF said:

I would also love to hear/read your opinion about the two text inspiration parts. As October is already gone, let's focus on November?

It seems like you've got a good system going. It is very creative. I used to do something similar to spin up some poems that I might not ordinarily write. Would you agree that your method is geared toward artists/artistry?

Most of my ink decisions need to be pragmatic. You might be surprised by just how limiting it is to be a lefty. Even though I have roughly 200 inks (most of them samples), I wouldn't use many (most?) of my purchases. Most of my purchases these days go into replacing inks which take too long to dry or don't behave well enough on business-quality papers.

My pen choices are also very pragmatic. I have yet to find pens better than the Pilot Metro (F, M, and CM) and Sheaffer No Nonsense for my purposes (the former because I love the simple/formal art deco styling; the latter because they have sentimental meaning and they sport crisp italic nibs). I have a smattering of cheap Chinese pens and some more expensive pens but I rarely reach for them unless I am in the mood to experiment. I wouldn't say that I have enough variety of character in my pens to create various themes.

On 11/9/2023 at 8:19 AM, InesF said:

Can you make a cross reference from yours to mine?

My current seasonal inks are Diamine's Autumn Oak, Ancient Copper, and Night Sky; and Monteverde's Scotch Brown. They're perfect for Michigan in November. Certainly there is some crossover in colors, and Scotch would be shipped in barrels. What theme would you apply to them?

12 hours ago, AmericanMonk said:

Most of my ink decisions need to be pragmatic. You might be surprised by just how limiting it is to be a lefty. Even though I have roughly 200 inks (most of them samples), I wouldn't use many (most?) of my purchases.

I'm sorry to read, you needed to buy so many inks only to find a few fast drying. 😔 And I'm sad not having a really good hint for you besides the usual: EF nib, dry or extra dry ink, not surface coated paper. 🤫

It seems like you've got a good system going. It is very creative. I used to do something similar to spin up some poems that I might not ordinarily write. Would you agree that your method is geared toward artists/artistry?

Thank you! Indeed, season III is all about writing and drawing. However, I never thought to focus on artistry. The basic idea is more like "I show you mine, show me yours - do they have similarities or do they complement each other?"

My current seasonal inks are Diamine's Autumn Oak, Ancient Copper, and Night Sky; and Monteverde's Scotch Brown. They're perfect for Michigan in November. Certainly there is some crossover in colors, and Scotch would be shipped in barrels. What theme would you apply to them?

Oh, you have three Autumn inks of the orange-ochre side! I see an oak barrel, cased with copper bands, filled with Scotch and transported silently through the night. :D I didn't know about Night Sky before, it looks interesting at InkSwatch. From the distance, I would also like Night Shade (Red inkvent calender) as a good complement to your orangeochre set.

I would be pleased if you like to post your handwritten poem! 🙏✍️

One life!

So far, November was comparably busy for me and chances are, it will remain being busy.

However, I managed to make a first drawing with the November set:

image.jpeg.86783fc7c4bd14dc60837adae935560d.jpeg

This small mandala is OK, but doesn't excite me. It was a quick-and-dirty drawing with simple symbols.

During the week I got new inspiration:

image.thumb.jpeg.dff4f2bc6ea5c660d933f6588a0c84cf.jpeg

Yes, that's much better.

The difference is mostly in the time spent. Not much to get if time is limited.

And, finally, the origin of all inspiration for pen, ink and drawings:

image.jpeg.c11aeff216f1e845e449223534c62577.jpeg

That's it for November from my side. Please feel welcome to post your November ink use here!

See you December 3rd, latest.

One life!

Beautiful, @InesF!  I like them both, but that second drawing really is inspired!  And the Thanksgiving poem is lovely, too. :)  My first doodle (a Zentangle-style drawing) is about half done.  I plan to finish it this weekend.  I still hope to do a second one, but we'll see if I can fit it in - so much to do before winter sets in.

10 hours ago, LizEF said:

Beautiful, @InesF!  I like them both, but that second drawing really is inspired!  And the Thanksgiving poem is lovely, too. :)  My first doodle (a Zentangle-style drawing) is about half done.  I plan to finish it this weekend.  I still hope to do a second one, but we'll see if I can fit it in - so much to do before winter sets in.

Finished the first one.  I should have left all the jars / amphora blank (no patterns inside) or the background empty - one of the other.  It's way too busy.  Oh well.  It is what it is:

large.NemosineSolarStorm1859Doodle.jpg.0addb624cc8208ef900df85c3c1d1efb.jpg

Given site rules, I will say nothing more than this was inspired by the story in 2 Kings 4:1-7.

I considered trying to draw oil flowing from the top jar into the others, but didn't like the various sketches of that, so I went with just drawing all the jars.

Spoiler Alert!!!  The ink is Nemosine Solar Storm 1859.  The pen was my review pen (Pilot Prera with Penmanship EF nib).  The paper is a Strathmore Bristol smooth surface artist trading card (2.5" x 3.5").

8 hours ago, LizEF said:

Finished the first one.  I should have left all the jars / amphora blank (no patterns inside) or the background empty - one of the other.  It's way too busy.  Oh well.  It is what it is:

That's great, @LizEF:thumbup:

And no, I don't think it is too busy. My first impression was: "This is the storage room of a sunken ancient ship after nature has conquered parts of it back. Secrets laying in the deep, waiting to be discovered by unsuspecting divers. Wait, is this pandoras box, hidden there behind the amphora?"

I'm loving it! Thank you so much for taking the time! A++ :) 

One life!

6 hours ago, Misfit said:

@InesF your drawings are both so very good.  I wish I could draw half as well as you so.

Thank you @Misfit, you are always welcome.

Please feel encouraged to participate, be it text, drawings, ink paintings or geometric patterns. The most important is to have a good time!

One life!

19 hours ago, LizEF said:

Thank you, @LizEF, you're always welcome!

One life!

8 hours ago, LizEF said:

large.NemosineSolarStorm1859Doodle.jpg.0addb624cc8208ef900df85c3c1d1efb.jpg

Given site rules, I will say nothing more than this was inspired by the story in 2 Kings 4:1-7.

I considered trying to draw oil flowing from the top jar into the others, but didn't like the various sketches of that, so I went with just drawing all the jars.

Spoiler Alert!!!  The ink is Nemosine Solar Storm 1859.  The pen was my review pen (Pilot Prera with Penmanship EF nib).  The paper is a Strathmore Bristol smooth surface artist trading card (2.5" x 3.5").

Beautiful! And that ink 😍

1 hour ago, InesF said:

That's great, @LizEF:thumbup:

And no, I don't think it is too busy. My first impression was: "This is the storage room of a sunken ancient ship after nature has conquered parts of it back. Secrets laying in the deep, waiting to be discovered by unsuspecting divers. Wait, is this pandoras box, hidden there behind the amphora?"

I'm loving it! Thank you so much for taking the time! A++ :) 

:)  Thank you!  You have a wonderful imagination. :D  Glad to participate - thanks for the inspiration!

@InesF, I always like anything you draw or write, but that second drawing is particularly lovely.

@LizEF, it's possible that you are theoretically right about your drawing being too busy, but I think it's a wonderful illustration for that story!

Someday I may be inspired enough by all the talent here to try learning to draw.  But right now I can barely find time to update my journal once a week, so until someday I will just be grateful that you two (and many others) are so willing to share your work with the rest of us.  Thank you!

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

29 minutes ago, knarflj said:

@LizEF, it's possible that you are theoretically right about your drawing being too busy, but I think it's a wonderful illustration for that story!

:)  Thank you!

30 minutes ago, knarflj said:

Someday I may be inspired enough by all the talent here to try learning to draw.  But right now I can barely find time to update my journal once a week, so...

Life goes in cycles.  I hope the one that lets you try your hand at drawing or doodling comes soon! :)

9 hours ago, knarflj said:

Someday I may be inspired enough by all the talent here to try learning to draw.

That's the fallacy. Nobody needs to learn to draw. Most likely that's an urge we all carry built-in ever since before we were Neandertal or Heidelbergiensis. What we need to learn is to not be ashamed of ourselves for ourselves.

Being ashamed of showing your work to others might have some sense in that it might affect their opinion on you, if you care, in aggressive environments. But in the intimacy of yourself, one should be able to accept oneself.

If you journal, there is no reason not to include quick sketches or stick-people  or blots of color within your pages. Once you start, it will become easier each day. And if it doesn't, nobody will know anyway, so, just enjoy yourself.

And if you have access to an understanding, encouraging community, you don't need to be ashamed to show your scribbles or doodles: who knows? as you get better, may be one day you'll become an artist and your formative period doodles will become prized collection items.

So, why not drop by the "Post your best stickman" thread and try your hand at it?

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

3 minutes ago, txomsy said:

If you journal, there is no reason to include quick sketches or stick-people  or blots of color within your pages.

No reason not to include those, you mean?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.