Monthly Ink Challenge - Season III

InesF

13 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

And the one time I got hot chocolate to drink with it, it was just too much breakfast for me....  So after that it was just hot tea to drink.

Oh yes - you can't imagine how well I understand that! :) 

9 hours ago, yazeh said:

I think we had this waffle conversation before. Try next time Liege Waffles. They're made with a brioche dough, crystallized sugar. And you won't need ice-cream :D 

OMG, I have to try now! :) Thank you for making me familiar to calories I didn't know before. 👍 ;) 

One life!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InesF

• LizEF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monthly Ink Challenge III – September 2024

Red Heat should be over, but weather refuses to follow our desire. Here in eastern Austria we still have day temperatures in the range of 33 to 35 °C and next to no precipitation. All vegetation suffers from drought and especially grasses, wild herbs and even some trees start to colour ochre or brown. Nature prepares for autumn, but temperature still suggests being in summer.

Septembers ink set consists of:

Montblanc Irish Green – in MB M M*

Fritz Schimpf Morgenröte** – in Scribo Piuma LE Passione CI flex

Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün – in FPR Himalaya Taj Mahal flex

Lamy Crystal Benitoite – in Lamy Dialog cc F

*) What the …? It’s not a secret code, it’s the abbreviation of Montblanc M (Marc Newson) with M nib.

**) This ink is, as far as I know, store exclusive from Fritz Schimpf. However, it is dark saturated red with Alt-Goldgrün sheen :rolleyes:, which made it an easy choice for September and an Ink I can recommend.

My starting idea for this set was having two dark and saturated together with two pale or muted inks. These four inks should be filled into two dark coloured and two bright fountain pens in a way that all four ink and pen combinations result. This is similar to the situation in March. However, it didn’t work out as intended. Benitoite is not as dark and saturated as it is on the swatch card and the first choice P.Edelstein Jade didn’t fit in the set and must be replaced by another green ink: Irish Green, which is way darker. Surprises and compromises made September Set good, but not great. 🤷‍♀️

Here is the introduction of inks and pens on Kyome 70gsm paper:

large.202409MonthlyInks.jpeg.334e4eeadf486ef0a7ddd13dd1b1042b.jpeg

Here's todays one-page finger exercise with all four inks from the September Ink Challenge, this time on Rhodia 80gsm paper:

large.202409MonthlyExercise.jpeg.15f385c1ddf56a964dab3f487e28ca09.jpeg

The inspiration quote for September is:

Bright and Dark Side Compete

We have equinox in September. At this one date, day and night have the same length. We know already that darkness will win (at the northern hemisphere). But what-if there is a contest between Bright and Dark with an outcome not known before – be it a surprise or a compromise? 🤫

Take your fountain pen(s), be creative and have fun! I‘m looking forward to your interpretation of the September theme.

See you September 15th with some results.

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Bright and Dark Side Compete

Brain is pondering. :)

It's still a nice set, and that red is gorgeous - as is your handwriting, as always. :D

22 hours ago, LizEF said:

Brain is pondering. :)

It's still a nice set, and that red is gorgeous - as is your handwriting, as always. :D

Thank you, @LizEF, you are highly welcome!

Looking forward to see your interpretation. 🤝

One life!

On 9/1/2024 at 3:40 AM, InesF said:

Nature prepares for autumn, but temperature still suggests being in summer.

That is exactly how it is here, where I live.

I am also looking forward to your Ink Challenges! 👍

7 minutes ago, RedPie said:

That is exactly how it is here, where I live.

I am also looking forward to your Ink Challenges! 👍

Thank you, you are welcome! :) 

One life!

Same as what @LizEF said. 

Surprisingly what I first though of was Jacob and the Angel, (which is light and light),  the Ying and Yang and finally the duality in Buddhism between Mara and the Buddha,  and finally the forces of light and darkness inn Ancient Persia. Many intriguing avenues to explore :)

2 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Same as what @LizEF said. 

Surprisingly what I first though of was Jacob and the Angel, (which is light and light),  the Ying and Yang and finally the duality in Buddhism between Mara and the Buddha,  and finally the forces of light and darkness inn Ancient Persia. Many intriguing avenues to explore :)

Oohhhoo! Can I take this as promise? :D

I would be pleased by your contribution! 👍

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Oohhhoo! Can I take this as promise? :D

:)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

I would be pleased by your contribution! 👍

I hope google correctly translated : Mit Vergnügen :)  :blush: 

10 hours ago, yazeh said:

I hope google correctly translated : Mit Vergnügen :)  :blush: 

I'm sure, Google did it! ;) :) 

One life!

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, the Monthly Ink Challenge result for September is ready:

large.202409Monthlyresult.jpeg.4e591df254f1a1263c68c4ae65ba393d.jpeg

Not much to add here. I used two mandalas from gentlemencrafter.com, modified them to a certain degree and combined them in a YinYang shape. All circles were constructed with a pair of compasses with graphite but finally every ink line is hand drawn. At least I added some slight shadows with the Pininfarina Cambiano. Those shadow lines appear darker in the photo, much to my surprise.

That was the 12th and final Challenge of Season III.

I'm not fully decided how to continue with Season IV - it's still 15 more days to make plans ... 🤫

One life!

Gorgeous, @InesF!  Love how the two sides differ and yet complement each other. :) Wishing you inspiration for season IV.

@InesF Lovely work!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

18 hours ago, LizEF said:

Gorgeous, @InesF!  Love how the two sides differ and yet complement each other. :) Wishing you inspiration for season IV.

Thank you, @LizEF, you are highly welcome!

There are some ideas, but non of them excites me as of now. Still 14 days left ....

One life!

17 hours ago, yazeh said:

So zen @InesF :thumbup: 

I hope you're doing well and you and your loved ones are safe, from the flooding :) 

Thank you, @yazeh, you are highly welcome!

Flood is a serious problem only 12 km away from my hometown. Despite rain and heavy stormwind, no critical situation here. But more rain is announced - causing some tension in neighbouring cities and villages.

How is the situation in Canadian forests? I hope you are safe as well!

One life!

5 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, you are highly welcome!

Flood is a serious problem only 12 km away from my hometown. Despite rain and heavy stormwind, no critical situation here. But more rain is announced - causing some tension in neighbouring cities and villages.

Glad to hear that you're safe. It's frightening when nature unleashes itself. It has a feeling of old testament wrath. :) :( 

5 hours ago, InesF said:

How is the situation in Canadian forests? I hope you are safe as well!

The wild fires are somewhere in the North West. Canada is so big that at any time, something is happening somewhere. For ex, write now, the hottest temp in the country is 23.2 and the lowest temperature -3.2°C :) 

@InesF your yin yang mandala is gorgeous. September is two thirds Summer and one third Autumn. In the US lower Midwest, the first week of Autumn can be very warm or it can be cool. Much like Spring in March, the seasons are battling, which makes your mandala a great statement on the Equinox. 

Posted Image