Monthly Ink Challenge - Season III

InesF

Just now, LizEF said:

:) :( Wishing you to be fire-free soon if not already!

East coast is Ok for now. The west is bad shape. We're lucky that unlike last year we didn't have any Marscape orange days :)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InesF

• LizEF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, yazeh said:

Here is another attempt to capture "hot" summer.

Almost all Canadian dream of summer. But the past few years, summer equals massive wildfire, scorched lands, and orange hued skies. 

For the fire I used a combination of:

Sailor Storia Fire Red 

De Atramentis Document Orange 

J Herbin Rouge Opera 

Noodler's Lexington Gray. 

The river is 

Kaweco Paradise Blue 

Faber-Castell Turquoise and Lexington Gray. 

There is a hint of Kakimori Kurun (Green). 

As @LizEF already mentioned, good luck and we all press thumbs and cross fingers that such big firestorms will not happen again! 🤞

Thank you, @yazeh, for contributing in the Ink Challenge:thumbup: That's well done line and wash, capturing "Red Heat" exceptionally well!

I also like two more details: 1) keeping mouse and cat out of the main danger zone and 2) the ink choice for the river - mouse and cat, as well adapted as they are from the water tests, can now feel like in Paradise Blue! 👍 :) 

PS, learning something new each day: water tests are not only water tests, they are a prep-training for severe catastrophes! How clever and how well planned so long in advance! :D

One life!

4 hours ago, InesF said:

1) keeping mouse and cat out of the main danger zone

...love it!

I have nothing witty or creative to contribute, but I would like to thank @InesF, @LizEF, and @yazeh for this beautiful and interesting thread.  I don't speak up often enough to tell you how much your posts here and elsewhere enrich my life.  Thank you! 

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

8 hours ago, InesF said:

As @LizEF already mentioned, good luck and we all press thumbs and cross fingers that such big firestorms will not happen again! 🤞

I doubt with the trajectory of the climate change it would change, unless there is a massive volcano eruption . But you're the scientist ;) 

8 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for contributing in the Ink Challenge:thumbup: That's well done line and wash, capturing "Red Heat" exceptionally well!

Thanks!

8 hours ago, InesF said:

I also like two more details: 1) keeping mouse and cat out of the main danger zone and 2) the ink choice for the river - mouse and cat, as well adapted as they are from the water tests, can now feel like in Paradise Blue! 👍 :) 

:D 

8 hours ago, InesF said:

PS, learning something new each day: water tests are not only water tests, they are a prep-training for severe catastrophes! How clever and how well planned so long in advance! :D

::lticaptd:

1 hour ago, knarflj said:

I have nothing witty or creative to contribute, but I would like to thank @InesF, @LizEF, and @yazeh for this beautiful and interesting thread.  I don't speak up often enough to tell you how much your posts here and elsewhere enrich my life.  Thank you! 

:) Thanks!

On 8/6/2024 at 1:25 AM, InesF said:

Don't worry, I feel quite adapted.

It was once in Thailand when I ordered fried shrimp with rice. While eating, the three waiters put their heads togethers and whispered all the time. When I finished and ordered some sweets for desert, one of the waiters came to me and told me: "We had made a bet that you wouldn't be able to finish the shrimp." He thanked me because he had won money from his colleagues.

Indeed, the shrimp had been "a bit spicy". 🌶️ 🥵 :lol:

:lticaptd:

This is reminding me of the story we were told about one of the first Indian restaurants in Pittsburgh.  The servers would tell customers that the dishes could be ordered on a scale of one to five for spiciness.  When the place first opened, apparently a guy we used to know went in there and upon hearing the scale, he ordered whatever dish spiced to a TWENTY FIVE....

The chef came out of the kitchen just to see who and the heck had ordered that.  And the guy who was Indian himself, said, "I was born in Karachi!  Spice it to a 25!"  [he was born before Pakistan split off from India].  And he said that it was about the way he wanted it....

A number of years later, he and his wife went to a party where there was a chili contest held.  Now another friend of ours had spent some time in the Ethiopian Highlands, where he had to learn to eat the local food or starve to death.  So learned to eat (and then make) what I suspect was "doro wat" (but for years it was just known as "Len's Ethiopian chicken...."  Doro wat is made with the kind of hot peppers that basically blow the Scoville ratings off the charts -- they're so hot that some people consider them poisonous -- but are about the only vegetables that grow in that part of Ethiopia.  And Len brought that to the chili contest and someone apparently asked the guy from Karachi what he thought.  And the response was, "I like my food spicy -- NOT *HOT*!"

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth Morrisson 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is another take on burning hot, if you've been sunburnt + combined with a heat stroke on vacation :D 

Sailor Kiwa-guro 

Noodler's Baltimore Blue 

Private Reserve Vampire Red  (which is brownish red ink and loves water ;) )

sunburn__by_yazeh1_dhyd9n1-414w-2x.jpg?t

7 minutes ago, yazeh said:

This is another take on burning hot, if you've been sunburnt + combined with a heat stroke on vacation :D 

:lol: Sunburned kitty?  Klaw says that's a silly idea. ;)

43 minutes ago, LizEF said:

:lol: Sunburned kitty?  Klaw says that's a silly idea. ;)

Especially if he posts it thrice :D 

Seriously, I saw a documentary about a young woman who takes her cat with her on vacation on train, from Switzerland to Spain and she applies some sun cream for the cat ;) 

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Seriously, I saw a documentary about a young woman who takes her cat with her on vacation on train, from Switzerland to Spain and she applies some sun cream for the cat ;) 

I have no doubt it's a real problem.  But Klaw scoffs from his spot in the sun (and then gets up and lies elsewhere when he feels too hot). :D

On 8/11/2024 at 4:19 AM, inkstainedruth said:

And the response was, "I like my food spicy -- NOT *HOT*!"

Good story! :lol: Thank you @inkstainedruth!

One life!

4 hours ago, yazeh said:

Oh yes! That's indeed a great interpretation of Red Heat! Thank you @yazeh:thumbup::lol:

The brown hue in Vampire Red can be seen as Red Heat, 3 days later ... ;) 

One life!

4 hours ago, yazeh said:

[...] from Switzerland to Spain and she applies some sun cream for the cat ;)

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

[...] and then gets up and lies elsewhere when he feels too hot). :D

Yes, I think cats have a good sense for what is good for them and when it is too much and do not need to be overseen. However, I watched my cats doing intentional experiments ... 👍 some of them not that clever. ;) It was not too much off from what young children do when they become mobile and "independent". 🙄

One life!

4 hours ago, InesF said:

However, I watched my cats doing intentional experiments ... 👍 some of them not that clever. ;) It was not too much off from what young children do when they become mobile and "independent". 🙄

Well, they say cats have roughly the same intellectual capacity as a 2-year-old human. :) (But more agility and vertical mobility. :D )

A result for the

Monthly Ink Challenge III – August 2024

Red Heat

August ist hot, it doesn't disappoint. Don’t carry dark coloured ice-cream outdoors in direct sunlight, it may catch fire! :unsure:

large.202408MonthlyResult.jpeg.afcd5a1e4859ad5eb259c3cd4ae1318b.jpeg

I made a rough sketch with sanguine pencil and painted the areas with diluted ink. I used Iroshizuku ina-ho for the wafer cone and the four August inks for the ice-cream and for the flames. After an extended drying period I made the linework with the according fountain pens and added some rough structure to the wafer with more sanguine.

It's a quite simple ink use for August from my side.

Thanks to all other FPN members who had already participated in the challenge!

Next and last Monthly Ink Set for Season III will come around September 1st.

One life!

37 minutes ago, InesF said:

Don’t carry dark coloured ice-cream outdoors in direct sunlight, it may catch fire! :unsure:

:lticaptd:

37 minutes ago, InesF said:

large.202408MonthlyResult.jpeg.afcd5a1e4859ad5eb259c3cd4ae1318b.jpeg

Fabulous!!

On 8/11/2024 at 10:58 PM, LizEF said:

I have no doubt it's a real problem.  But Klaw scoffs from his spot in the sun (and then gets up and lies elsewhere when he feels too hot). :D

I know, her majesty is the same :D