Monthly Ink Challenge - Season III

InesF

Monthly Ink Challenge III – May 2024

This months ink set consists of:

Diamine Carnation Mix* – in Pineider la Grande Bellezza F

Diamine Kelly Green – in Visconti vanGogh Irises M-stub

Fritz Schimpf Gewitterwolke – in Waterman Expert III F

deAtramentis Deepwater obsession Black-Green – in Saarpen 571** EF

*) 10 mL Carnation + 0.5 mL Kaweco Sunrise Orange.

**) This is a one-of-a-kind fountain pen made by Saarpen (pen-paradise.de) around a Sheaffer Grand Connisseur Section with EF nib. Cap and body are made from a violet-grey ebonite with matte finish and with an opal-like glass stone at the cap finial. This pen has a bit of a story behind, here the short version: it was sent to me filled with black ink and was frozen during shipping. Poor little pen! The ink precipitated partly, bent and clogged the feed. It took me about a month to remove all the particles and to get the pen working again. I love how it looks and feels and meanwhile I also love how it writes a true extra fine line with a bit of variation.

Here is the introduction of inks and pens on Kyome 70gsm paper:

large.202405MonthlyInksPens.jpeg.6d03e86d62e151407e65873da1f5d93a.jpeg

The basic theme for May is: „how to do something with Carnation?

NO!, not the same joke each month, please!

No joke! It was exactly the idea behind the May set. Carnation is the flower of May 1st and of mothers day or parents day (also in May). Therefore it was a must use. The original Diamine colour was a tiny bit too pink and too close to P.Edelstein Rose Quartz. I shifted the colour a small step closer to salmon, but still pink (IRL it is closer to pink than it appears on the photo).

May is also the month of love, growth and fertility. Diamine Kelly Green and a second green, more saturated were obvious choices. And finally, it is the month when (in Europe) the season of thunderstorms begins, making the set complete with Gewitterwolke (thunder cloud). And here we are.

Much more difficult is finding a fitting inspiration quote. The situation reminds me to the movie „Wag the Dog‟, where politicians first decided something strange and a team of creative people had to find arguments about why the strange decision was not strange. OK, the May ink set looks good, but what does it stand for?

The inspiration quote is:

Find a good quote representing May – love, growth and fertility are excellent starting points!

Take your fountain pen(s), be creative and have fun! I‘m looking forward to your interpretation of the May theme.

See you May 19th, latest.

One life!

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InesF

• LizEF

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice combo, @InesF!  Hopefully May will not be so hectic as April and I can get a little creative. :)

@InesF -- Hmmm.  I seem to recall liking Diamine Carnation.  And I tend to NOT like orange inks in general (but your mix has me intrigued now...).  
Still not a fan of Diamine Kelly Green though....  It was one of the first "greens" I ever tried and it was just too bright and neon-ish for my taste.  I prefer darker greens, and while they can have a tiny bit of yellow in them, I also don't like ones that lean too bilious.  Of course I have yet to find a blue-leaning green that doesn't make me want to barf, either.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I did a post for Pen-Ink-Paper Trios, comparing my four inks of the May set on three different paper types.

As it looks like, this may be my only contribution for May - I have an extremely busy month.

However, see you latest June 2nd. Have a good time!

One life!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2024 at 1:07 AM, InesF said:

The basic theme for May is: „how to do something with Carnation?

Well, I wanted to do more Zentangle patterns in the petals, but by the time I finished the ruffly edges, there wasn't enough room - or didn't seem to be, and I worried doing a pattern in the background would ruin it, so here's my (for now?) incomplete carnation:

large.FPNCarnation.jpg.e6008ad3f582a9e650851b5364ee0643.jpg

Oh!, what a surprise! @LizEF, this is a beautiful interpretation of a Carnation! +1👍

You are right, adding more more pattern in the background may not have improved the drawing. I like it as it is!

+1 Challenge 🍬

One life!

Monthly Ink Challenge III – June 2024

This month's ink set consists of:

Pelikan 4001 Dark Green – in Lamy CP1 14kt EF

Diamine Aqua Lagoon – in Gravitas Kyuseido Kakari with FPR flex nib

deAtramentis Atlantic Blue – in Waterman Exclusive M-stub

Diamine Cornflower – in Montblanc Nobless Oblige M

Rohrer & Klingner Magenta – in Sheaffer Targa slim F

For the first time since 45 month of Monthly Ink Challenge, there is a set consisting of five inks and fountain pens.

Here is the introduction of inks and pens on Kyome 70gsm paper:

large.20240601MonthlyInks.jpeg.ffbaf1740079acafe5a2ce7adeb97409.jpeg

The theme for June is the arrival of summer, culminating in the summer solstice. The sky is blue, the water is blue, everything else is green and at some days we have amazing magenta sunrises. The June ink set, in the order as it is listed, is also a gradual transition from blue-green over different variations of blue to blue-red (magenta). Finally and most important, all of the five colours contain blue.

Here's another one-page finger exercise (on Faber Colori 70 gsm paper) with all five inks from the June Ink Challenge - providing an impression about the transition.

large.20240601MonthlyWriting.jpeg.0f05ad2866f84d2aa1bb37a15ccf9d50.jpeg

Therefore the inspiration quote must be:

Out into the blue!

Take your fountain pen(s), be creative and have fun! I‘m looking forward to your interpretation of the June theme.

See you June 16th, latest.

One life!

37 minutes ago, InesF said:

Oh!, what a surprise! @LizEF, this is a beautiful interpretation of a Carnation! +1👍

You are right, adding more more pattern in the background may not have improved the drawing. I like it as it is!

+1 Challenge 🍬

:) Thanks!

Such a beautiful combination!  And I still love your writing and those leading fancy capital letters. :)

1 hour ago, InesF said:

Out into the blue!

Hmm. Hmm. The back of my brain will have to process this. :)

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Such a beautiful combination!  And I still love your writing and those leading fancy capital letters. :)

I was thinking the same thing!

And @LizEF, I really like your carnation, just as it is.

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

41 minutes ago, knarflj said:

And @LizEF, I really like your carnation, just as it is.

:) Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...

A result for the

Out into the Blue

large.202406Resultballoon.jpeg.6c74ab99030e8b061dcfc884e9272f4d.jpeg

For the sky I used diluted Diamine Aqua Marine and deAtramentis Atlantic Blue, the hills are painted with diluted Pelikan 4001 Dark Green. I drew the balloons and the symbolic vegetation after the background had completely dried. Finally, I used all five inks and fountain pens.

One life!

2 hours ago, InesF said:

A result for the

Out into the Blue

For the sky I used diluted Diamine Aqua Marine and deAtramentis Atlantic Blue, the hills are painted with diluted Pelikan 4001 Dark Green. I drew the balloons and the symbolic vegetation after the background had completely dried. Finally, I used all five inks and fountain pens.

:) Beautiful!

Sigh.  I'd love to take a balloon ride someday.  The closest I ever got was a "tethered" flight at something my husband and I were at years ago (I don't remember where it was or how I found out about it, or if I'd won a raffle or something -- just that there were probably 50 people in line in front of us when we got to the place....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 6/16/2024 at 8:51 AM, InesF said:

A result for the

Out into the Blue

I love it, @InesF!  Especially since balloons are a fairly common sight around here in the summer.  There's a big balloonfest about 10 miles from us at the end of June, and even the rest of the summer it's not too unusual to see a balloon floating past above the trees nearby.

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

Some SF writer -- Philip José Farmer, IIRC, once told my mom that he'd taken his granddaughter to a balloon fest somewhere near where he lived, simply because of The Wizard of Oz (and I mean the book(s) -- not just the movie!  And I remember his novel A Barnstormer in Oz being pretty good, if not actual "canon" to the series (the protagonist is Dorothy's grown son, who -- after being a pilot in WWI, gets a job as a "barnstormer" (doing air shows) and ends up in Oz somehow and it's not QUITE like his mother had described it....  Like having to learn another language....

Hmmm.  Wonder if that book is still kicking around in my house somewhere....

On 6/18/2024 at 2:58 AM, knarflj said:

I love it, @InesF!  Especially since balloons are a fairly common sight around here in the summer.  There's a big balloonfest about 10 miles from us at the end of June, and even the rest of the summer it's not too unusual to see a balloon floating past above the trees nearby.

Thank you, @knarflj, you are highly welcome!

Indeed, hot air balloons are more often to be seen here as well. Whenever I see one, I immediately associate "into the Blue" ... ;) :) 

One life!

On 6/17/2024 at 9:23 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Sigh.  I'd love to take a balloon ride someday.

Yes, I can fully understand. At least once a free balloon ride and once a Zeppelin ride. It's a similar relation between balloon and airplane as it is between car and bicycle. The slower you are, the closer you feel the environment around you and the better you recognise the distance.

15 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Some SF writer -- Philip José Farmer, IIRC, once told my mom that he'd taken his granddaughter to a balloon fest somewhere near where he lived, simply because of The Wizard of Oz (and I mean the book(s) -- not just the movie!  And I remember his novel A Barnstormer in Oz being pretty good, if not actual "canon" to the series (the protagonist is Dorothy's grown son, who -- after being a pilot in WWI, gets a job as a "barnstormer" (doing air shows) and ends up in Oz somehow and it's not QUITE like his mother had described it....  Like having to learn another language....

Oh, interesting background story! 👍

Many years ago I read "The Dungeon" which was edited (and partly written?) by Philip José Farmer. Six paperbacks full of crazy good ideas. (PS: attn. to @LizEF! :) :lol:)

One life!

Corrigendum and Addendum.

It was Diamine Aqua Lagoon (not Marine) I used in the sky. Sorry.

And it was images like the ones on this page (scroll down a bit) which inspired me the most.

One life!