More Nib Choices On Pilot Custom 743 and Custom 823!

Nibs.com

Pilot's Custom 743 and Custom 823 pens are among the most popular with our customers - along with the Pilot Custom Heritage 912, they can be equipped with the notched FA nib, making them the best choices for our noted Spencerian customization.

Starting in November, Pilot is making eight more nibs available on these pens, including such rarities as the Coarse, Posting, and Waverly nibs, for a total of fourteen different possible tipping sizes!  

Normally made available on only one of these pens, we are offering all nib tipping sizes on all Custom 743 and Custom 823 pens. Pre-order now to be among the first to receive these new nibs - each Custom 743 or Custom 823 pen is retail $420, our price $336. 

PIlot15-nibs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• XYZZY

• markofp

• sketchstack

• Nibs.com

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

Did this ever actually happen? I can't seem to find a dealer that has them in stock, everything seems to be "backordered", and many large dealers have only the original F/M/B nibs available. I'd only love an 823 in fine/medium.

• 3 weeks later...

It isn't clear to me whether the post means that Pilot themselves is making SKUs available with all those nibs, or if it's a customization done by nibs.com.  2nd paragraph says Pilot, but 3rd paragraph is less clear. And nibs.com has a tradition of swapping non standard nibs into pens (at least for Nakaya), so it might just be a dealer thing option.  Maybe Pilot's involvement is nothing more than giving permission to swap out the nibs?  I'm just speculating, I have no inside knowledge.

The image showing all the pens with the different nibs is showing 743s, not 823s.  You can find that image on the 743 page at nibs.com, Pen Chalet and probably other dealers, so probably a stock photo from Pilot for the 743.

The math in the OP is wonky as well.  8 new nib options for a total of 14?  That means their are currently 6 options, but I count only 3.

I have a feeling that the OP, a pen dealer, was told by Pilot that the 743 would be available in all 14 sizes and then just assumed that it would happen with the 823 as well. He even had a drop down menu on his 823 ordering page for all the nibs, but they were never in stock. It's now back to just the usual nibs.

The bottom line is that Pilot itself was never going to issue the 823 with all the nibs. I have that straight from a Pilot reps own mouth. He seemed surprised when I asked him about the rumor. 

Do you mean that the non-black 743 will get the other sizes?  The black has had them for a long time.  But even in Japan it was only the black that came in those nibs.  I just looked at the options on the non-black 743, and those list 6 nibs.  So perhaps this is about non-black 743 and you're right, somebody made an assumption?  Although even if this was for the non-black 743s, it's long past November.

I would be excited if the non-black 743s got the full set of options.  I'd be interested in color 743 with a posting and music nib.  823 not so much.

One word for you: Arbitrage.[1]

Basically, the Pilot Distributor in the USA marks up the Pilot Custom Heritage (CH) Line by a large amount. Try buying direct from Japan. Heck, just try buying on the Amazon USA site, at least for the 743/FA-nib.[2] See, right there you saved $336.00 - $239.00 = $97.00 USD (71% savings) versus buying from an "authorized" U.S. reseller.[3]

Back in September 2018 the CH 743 FA-nib on Amazon cost around $217.00 USD each on Amazon.[4] A little less than five years ago, on Amazon the CH 743/FA was a little more than 10% cheaper (not a lot actually, expecially considering the incredibly high inflation we have seen in the USA lately).

You need to consider: IMHO the Pilot CH 743 is a much better pen than the CH 823. The CH 743 is an easy to use, easy to maintain cartridge/converter-filler fountain pen. The CH 823 is an annoying to use (you must "vent" the filler knob or the ink will not flow), hard to clean/maintain piston-filler. I own both a 743 and 823. My 743 w/FA-nib is a daily user. I almost never use the 823 because it is a pain in the neck to deal with.

No matter what you choose. All the Pilot Custom Heritage pens are crippled with a terrible factory-installed injection-molded plastic feed! Your first job is to replace the plastic feed with an after-market Ebonite (hard-rubber [5]) feed which will increase ink flow dramatically. This is especially important if you use a nib (like the FA nib) that needs good ink flow to work properly. See this post [6] on how to buy a replacement Ebonite feed for your CH pen, plus how to replace the factory feed yourself (it's easy).

By this point someone is going to point-out: "When you pay more for the Pilot CH pen in the USA, you're paying for the USA warranty cost." No, not at this point! The issue is: You voided the warranty the minute you replaced the factory feed with the Ebonite feed. But in my opinion you really didn't have any other choice. The plastic factory feed is so bad, it had to be replaced - especially if you have the likes of the flexible FA nib installed.

Finally, there the ink: A high performance fountain pen nib lives on a diet of only-the-best-quality ink. In my experience, the best work-horse ink for your modified 743/FA-equipped pen is Pilot/Namiki Blue. See [7] on where to easily buy it.

1. Arbitrage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrage

In economics and finance, arbitrage (/ˈɑːrbɪtrɑːʒ/, UK also /-trɪdʒ/) is the practice of taking advantage of a difference in prices in two or more markets.

2. PILOT"CUSTOM 743 / Black" (nib : Falcon) 4.7 out of 5 stars 251 ratings $239.00 USD

https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-CUSTOM-743-Black-nib/dp/B001AXB8ZM/

3. Pilot Custom 743 Black (US Reseller)

https://www.nibs.com/pens/pilot/pilot-custom-743-black

4. Circa 18-September-2018, Buy a Pilot 743 pen with an FA (semi-flexible) nib for around $217 (Amazon)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339633-purchasing-a-smooth-daily-writer-with-line-variation/?do=findComment&comment=4106658

5. Ebonite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonite

6. My Pilot 743/FA With The Flexible Nib Factory Ebonite Feed

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339120-my-pilot-743fa-with-the-flexible-nib-factory-ebonite-feed/#entry4098276

7. PILOT Namiki Standard Fountain Pen Ink, Blue, 60ml Bottle (69201) $12.72

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Namiki-Standard-Fountain-69201/dp/B005WPTYAA/

16 hours ago, Drone said:

Basically, the Pilot Distributor in the USA marks up the Pilot Custom Heritage (CH) Line by a large amount. Try buying direct from Japan. Heck, just try buying on the Amazon USA site, at least for the 743/FA-nib.[2] See, right there you saved $336.00 - $239.00 = $97.00 USD (71% savings) versus buying from an "authorized" U.S. reseller.[3]

Back in September 2018 the CH 743 FA-nib on Amazon cost around $217.00 USD each on Amazon.[4] A little less than five years ago, on Amazon the CH 743/FA was a little more than 10% cheaper (not a lot actually, expecially considering the incredibly high inflation we have seen in the USA lately).

You need to consider: IMHO the Pilot CH 743 is a much better pen than the CH 823. The CH 743 is an easy to use, easy to maintain cartridge/converter-filler fountain pen. The CH 823 is an annoying to use (you must "vent" the filler knob or the ink will not flow), hard to clean/maintain piston-filler. I own both a 743 and 823. My 743 w/FA-nib is a daily user. I almost never use the 823 because it is a pain in the neck to deal with.

No matter what you choose. All the Pilot Custom Heritage pens are crippled with a terrible factory-installed injection-molded plastic feed! Your first job is to replace the plastic feed with an after-market Ebonite (hard-rubber [5]) feed which will increase ink flow dramatically. This is especially important if you use a nib (like the FA nib) that needs good ink flow to work properly. See this post [6] on how to buy a replacement Ebonite feed for your CH pen, plus how to replace the factory feed yourself (it's easy).

By this point someone is going to point-out: "When you pay more for the Pilot CH pen in the USA, you're paying for the USA warranty cost." No, not at this point! The issue is: You voided the warranty the minute you replaced the factory feed with the Ebonite feed. But in my opinion you really didn't have any other choice. The plastic factory feed is so bad, it had to be replaced - especially if you have the likes of the flexible FA nib installed.

Finally, there the ink: A high performance fountain pen nib lives on a diet of only-the-best-quality ink. In my experience, the best work-horse ink for your modified 743/FA-equipped pen is Pilot/Namiki Blue. See [7] on where to easily buy it.

1. Arbitrage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrage

In economics and finance, arbitrage (/ˈɑːrbɪtrɑːʒ/, UK also /-trɪdʒ/) is the practice of taking advantage of a difference in prices in two or more markets.

2. PILOT"CUSTOM 743 / Black" (nib : Falcon) 4.7 out of 5 stars 251 ratings $239.00 USD

https://www.amazon.com/PILOT-CUSTOM-743-Black-nib/dp/B001AXB8ZM/

3. Pilot Custom 743 Black (US Reseller)

https://www.nibs.com/pens/pilot/pilot-custom-743-black

4. Circa 18-September-2018, Buy a Pilot 743 pen with an FA (semi-flexible) nib for around $217 (Amazon)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339633-purchasing-a-smooth-daily-writer-with-line-variation/?do=findComment&comment=4106658

5. Ebonite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebonite

6. My Pilot 743/FA With The Flexible Nib Factory Ebonite Feed

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/339120-my-pilot-743fa-with-the-flexible-nib-factory-ebonite-feed/#entry4098276

7. PILOT Namiki Standard Fountain Pen Ink, Blue, 60ml Bottle (69201) $12.72

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Namiki-Standard-Fountain-69201/dp/B005WPTYAA/

"Heritage" is not used on all the Custom pens.  The 91, 92, and 912 are Custom Heritage.  Others, including 743 & 823, are not.  One indication is the clip: the Custom Heritage pens have the sword clip, the others the ball (I think that holds for all models, but won't bet my paycheck on it).

I don't agree that "all" the pens have a "terrible" feed.  It works quite well in most of their pens.  Although I do get that people need to increase the flow on some of the nibs when doing western flex writing. 

On 3/13/2024 at 10:33 AM, Drone said:

All the Pilot Custom Heritage pens are crippled with a terrible factory-installed injection-molded plastic feed! Your first job is to replace the plastic feed with an after-market Ebonite (hard-rubber [5]) feed which will increase ink flow dramatically.

Sorry, but your categorisation of the feeds and your assertion of what other, or by implication typical or representative, fountain pen users need to do are nonsense. Custom Heritage — which only includes the 91, 92, and 912 models, as @XYZZY has already pointed out above, and does not even include the Custom Enjyu which also have a flat-ended pen body — pens' feeds work just fine with most of the available nib options (noting especially that the FA nib is only one of 15 nib options and available on only one of three Custom Heritage models).

I have the CH91 with EF and SFM nibs, and the CH912 with PO and WA nibs, and the feeds are perfectly adequate for the pens and my writing. I most certainly do not want the ink flow to increase; in fact, I like my Custom Enjyu, which has a size 15 (that being the size of nib in the Custom 743 and 823) 18K gold nib, and I like it less because of it being a “wetter” pen (in spite of also having the same type of plastic feed) than my other pens in the Custom line.

You're welcome to speak for yourself and your own preferences, but please don't presume or pretend to know what most/other purchasers or users of Pilot Custom Heritage pens require.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2024 at 8:45 PM, markofp said:

Did this ever actually happen? I can't seem to find a dealer that has them in stock, everything seems to be "backordered", and many large dealers have only the original F/M/B nibs available. I'd only love an 823 in fine/medium.

I just got a 743 (same #15 nib as the 823) with a fine-med nib from Nibsmith.  The fine medium was in stock when I ordered on the 14th.  Not exactly speedy shipping, it’s been 12 days waiting for an in stock item..but still, I was happy to find that nib in the pen I wanted.

On 3/12/2024 at 4:33 PM, Drone said:

Basically, the Pilot Distributor in the USA marks up the Pilot Custom Heritage (CH) Line by a large amount.

My understanding is Pilot of North America is not a distributor but a subsidiary of Pilot of Japan. Prices per market are affected by myriad factors. 

All the Pilot Custom Heritage pens are crippled with a terrible factory-installed injection-molded plastic feed! Your first job is to replace the plastic feed with an after-market Ebonite (hard-rubber [5]) feed which will increase ink flow dramatically. 

Just as a counterpoint for anyone researching a Pilot fountain pen purchase, I have around ten gold-nibbed Pilot foutain pens in my collection at any given moment. They are some of the best writers, out of the box, period. I just inked up my SM Custom 912 and recalled that it is a delightfully juicy writer. 

I'll never disagree that ebonite makes for a great feed, but stock Pilot feeds have been nothing short of exceptional for me (including an FA transplanted onto a Custom 823). 

The issue is: You voided the warranty the minute you replaced the factory feed with the Ebonite feed. But in my opinion you really didn't have any other choice.

The Pilot USA warranty, in my experience, is not only worth its weight in gold but it's also so good and reliable that they'd probably still service a "compromised" pen, no questions asked (and yes, I have gotten service from Pilot USA, no questions asked).

Pilot fountain pens, every single one of them, at all price points, are the only ones I would recommend without caveat to anyone. (Again, I usually have at least ten gold-nibbed Pilot's in my rotation at any given moment.)

To prove that I'm not blinded by loyalty, I'll admit that Pilot could spice things up with a more regular release of limited edition colors, etc. 

I have 12 Pilot pens, 10 of which are always filled and being used, because they are so reliable and such a joy to write with.  They include a Pilot Justus 95 customized for Spencerian by John Mottishaw; a Custom 742 FA purchased in Japan; two Metal Falcons - a SF reground by J.M. to a SXF Spencerian, and a stock SF; two Namiki   Nippon Art (Golden Pheasant and Chinese Phoenix) with #10 14K Fine nibs; a Custom  823 modified by Monica at Nibs.com to a B Cursive Italic; a Custom 845 Urushi B customized to a Cursive Italic; a Custom Heritage 912 FA; and a   Namiki Capless VP with 4 nibs - F, XF, M, and B Stub ground by R. Binder.  The two that are not in constant use are a Pilot Hannya c. 1980, gold inlaid "Heart Sutra", that seems to need a tine adjustment to avoid skipping, but I don't know where to get that done; and a Murex Myu NOS that says on the label that it is a "Namiki Myu 701 H774 M90 Murex" (phew).

I have never had a moment's trouble with any of my Pilot pens, except for the glitch in the Hannya.  I have other pens, needless to say, 🙄, but the only ones that seem to compare with the Pilots are my 3 Nakaya -- A Naka-ai stock F; a Long Cigar SF modified for Spencerian by J.M.; and a Piccolo Cigar EF with J.M. Spencerian customization --, plus my first ever Japanese pen, a Sailor Professional Gear Realo with a 21K  HF nib that is astoundingly efficient and never gets dry;  and a 1955 Montblanc 3-44.   Whenever I have purchased a new Pilot pen, always from Nibs.com or Stylo.ca, and I have asked to switch to a different nib after dipping the one ordered, there was never any problem at all.

My used Pilot  pens were all from FPN members, and no problems there.   So my vote is definitely Hooray for Pilots!