If you like good handwriting don't look at this. A requested handwriting sample.

Ink Stained Wretch

handwriting_sample_for_fpn_2023-09-17_1659.thumb.jpg.f6f29ed3b877326f2e6887392db6b754.jpg

"This is a requested writing sample. I'm using a Shaeffer fountain pen that Amber Lea Davis gave me. She asked that I inflict, er, I mean show off my penmanship to all of you with this fountain pen.

"The ink is all old school Shaeffer. It's a mixture of Shaeffer Jet Black from a cartridge that was totally dried out and some Shaeffer Red ink from a bottle. I poked a hole in the cartridge and let flow the distilled water. After I'd written about half of the 1½ mL cartridge out I added some Canadian Sheaffer Red ink. I did not measure any of the components so I couldn't reproduce this ink, but I like it. It's sort of reminiscent of Noodler's Red/Black ink.

"Well, I hope that my handwriting hasn't put any of you off your food. I'll type up a copy of this deathless prosody in case anyone wants to actually read it.

"Ink Stained Wretch"

Here are two views of the pen that I wrote the above with. It may be a Shaeffer Prelude. We're not sure. And I want to add a big thanks to Amber Lea Davis for giving me this fountain pen.

.ald_shaeffer_capped.jpg.f7f49ea80406eb8f3965a0d85fb46377.jpg

ald_shaeffer_uncapped.jpg.66f5985167416f79829331f475c7af37.jpg

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ink Stained Wretch

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

• LizEF

That kinda reminds me of Origin Systems's Ultima (early) series of games, for some reason. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

That kinda reminds me of Origin Systems's Ultima (early) series of games, for some reason. :)

Lord British! Yeah, I remember those games. I know that I played them on PCs, but I'm not sure if I played some of them on the Atari 8-bit system. I know that I came across a CD, or maybe it was a DVD, of the first several Ultima games at some point. I think that I never did play the final couple of them. I wonder if I could install them on a modern computer and get them to work? I wonder if I could ever actually find them.

Yeah, they had runes in Ultima, as I recall. Maybe my handwriting is runic. Yeah, that's what it is, runic. Not atrocious at all, just runic 🤣.

Nice example of quick writing. It reminds me of shorthand. Maybe that's it, the result of highly optimized quick note taking.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I am thrilled that you are using the pen!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

😮 I do believe the only way to describe that is a very sophisticated form of personal shorthand. :) Fascinating stuff, but I am ill equipped for such adventures! 

14 hours ago, txomsy said:

Nice example of quick writing. It reminds me of shorthand. Maybe that's it, the result of highly optimized quick note taking.

I once had a woman see my writing and she complimented me saying that she rarely saw a man who wrote in shorthand. I had to disabuse her of that misapprehension. Yes, having to write fast, or fast for me, has shaped my cursive handwriting.

All of my meetings are electronic now, but when they weren't I used block printing. I had been writing using a BIC clickable ballpoint that had an unusually wide barrel, and those pens sort of worked for me. And then one day it was requested that I send a copy of my notes from a meeting to a lawyer so those notes could be sent to a judge. The person making the request saw my handwriting and scrapped that idea, no one could read it, she said.

Block printing makes the note taking rather frenetic, but at least what's written can be read by (almost) anyone.  I wonder if I'll ever put my black, three ink mixture on a yellow legal page again? 😑

5 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I am thrilled that you are using the pen!

I'm glad. It's a nice pen and the ink in it is all Fort Madison Shaeffer, even if it is a mixture. I am probably addicted to ink mixtures.

I used to take on work as an expert witness in real estate easement cases. I specialized in verification and comparison of 19th century maps. When I was retained for my first case I did not know that the opposing lawyers had a right to examine my original handwritten notes. What a mess! On photo copies of the maps I had writing going every which way, down the margins, circling back up from the bottom, and like ISW, I had adopted my own abbreviation system. The lawyers complained and the judge "requested" that I submit another set clarifying the original set. He wryly commented that he hoped my class lectures were not written in the same manner.

7 hours ago, yubaprof said:

I used to take on work as an expert witness in real estate easement cases. I specialized in verification and comparison of 19th century maps. When I was retained for my first case I did not know that the opposing lawyers had a right to examine my original handwritten notes. What a mess! On photo copies of the maps I had writing going every which way, down the margins, circling back up from the bottom, and like ISW, I had adopted my own abbreviation system. The lawyers complained and the judge "requested" that I submit another set clarifying the original set. He wryly commented that he hoped my class lectures were not written in the same manner.

ouch

and LOL

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It sounds like a simple and effective security measure to protect intellectual property.

with only one key.  which, in some cases, serves to protect the author..........

On 9/18/2023 at 7:09 PM, Ink Stained Wretch said:

handwriting_sample_for_fpn_2023-09-17_1659.thumb.jpg.f6f29ed3b877326f2e6887392db6b754.jpg

"This is a requested writing sample. I'm using a Shaeffer fountain pen that Amber Lea Davis gave me. She asked that I inflict, er, I mean show off my penmanship to all of you with this fountain pen.

"The ink is all old school Shaeffer. It's a mixture of Shaeffer Jet Black from a cartridge that was totally dried out and some Shaeffer Red ink from a bottle. I poked a hole in the cartridge and let flow the distilled water. After I'd written about half of the 1½ mL cartridge out I added some Canadian Sheaffer Red ink. I did not measure any of the components so I couldn't reproduce this ink, but I like it. It's sort of reminiscent of Noodler's Red/Black ink.

"Well, I hope that my handwriting hasn't put any of you off your food. I'll type up a copy of this deathless prosody in case anyone wants to actually read it.

"Ink Stained Wretch"

Here are two views of the pen that I wrote the above with. It may be a Shaeffer Prelude. We're not sure. And I want to add a big thanks to Amber Lea Davis for giving me this fountain pen.

.ald_shaeffer_capped.jpg.f7f49ea80406eb8f3965a0d85fb46377.jpg

ald_shaeffer_uncapped.jpg.66f5985167416f79829331f475c7af37.jpg

You are an MD, right?

5 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

You are an MD, right?

Nah, I only write like one :P.

14 minutes ago, Ink Stained Wretch said:

Nah, I only write like one :P.

From watching too much Quincy, M.E. in one's formative years?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

10 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

From watching too much Quincy, M.E. in one's formative years?

Quincy, M.E. aired long after my formative years were over 😀.