I was thinking of getting a Conklin Duragraph.

Warbler

What do people here whom own Conklin Duragraph think of them.  Are they good fountain pens? Do they write well? What does everyone think? Any and all advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Warbler

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Warbler

• Misfit

• kestrel

• PPPR

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my Duragraph. Mine is from the original Conklin company that went out of business in the late 1940s and is a self-filler. Sorry, I can't help if you're looking for comments on the modern, cartridge version made by the current company using the name.

HTH

I do have a limited-edition, crescent-filler from the current company. It has a smooth, broad, JoWo nib that's enjoyable to use. I think JoWo is the standard nib.

HTH

I own one modern Duragraph with the standard Conklin stub.  The pen is good value for the money and the nib is smooth and reliable.  It was good out of the box.

For the record, I tried one of the later iteration Duraflex nibs and was less than impressed.  Scratchy, temperamental, uneven flow.  I tweaked, manipulated, and micromeshed it.  After all that work it was still scratchy and temperamental with uneven flow.  The stub and medium nibs on my other modern Conklins were nice nibs.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

30 minutes ago, kestrel said:

I own one modern Duragraph with the standard Conklin stub.  The pen is good value for the money and the nib is smooth and reliable.  It was good out of the box.

For the record, I tried one of the later iteration Duraflex nibs and was less than impressed.  Scratchy, temperamental, uneven flow.  I tweaked, manipulated, and micromeshed it.  After all that work it was still scratchy and temperamental with uneven flow.  The stub and medium nibs on my other modern Conklins were nice nibs.

When you say you tried one of the later iteration Dureflex nibs, was that before or after they switched to JoWo nibs?

I tried both.  I didn't mess with the first one too much because the reviews I saw on it were all so negative.  The one I really fussed over was the Jowo and I couldn't make a decent nib out of it.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Ouch, maybe I should reconsider getting one. I like nib without problems, especially as I don’t anything about repairing them. 

Hi, I own more than a few Conklin Duragraph pens, all with the 1.1mm stub nib. They all have written well except one. I had to send it back to the seller for a nib swap. All is good after that. My newest, um of three recently purchased, is the Cracked Ice version. I might fill it later tonight. 

I have several Duragraphs, a Stylograph, and an All-American in the modern versions. Same nibs, different pen body styles. 

Is there a particular color version you are interested in?  

Posted Image

I have a Duragraph stub. It's a nice size and weight in my large lady hand and I enjoy writing with it. I've also used a friend's Duragraph with the flex nib. I don't really care for the flex, but the pen is decent. 

There's a Cracked Ice EF on offer on Amazon right now. Also an offer on a Mark Twain crescent filler F that is a deeper discount and thus more tempting. 

Must resist. Dallas Pen Show is soon... 

14 hours ago, Warbler said:

I hadn’t decided on a color yet, but I was probably going to get one with a fine nib.

I got the Orange Nights because it reminded me of the more expensive Delta Dolce Vita. The Amber has some transparent areas. The Voyager is an interesting one with a wood barrel. That’s the one I had to send back for a nib swap. I have the Forest Green, Red Nights, and Cracked Ice. I often buy them from Speerbob on eBay. Good prices, free shipping, quick shipping, and all good nibs. 

Posted Image

5 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I have the Forest Green, Red Nights,

I was thinking about either the Forest Green or the Red Nights.

5 minutes ago, Misfit said:

and all good nibs. 

except for the one you had to send back.

Speerbob is great.  He posts on this site, but is mainly on Ebay.  Speerbob used to work from Malaysia, but is not back in the States and continues to sell pens.  His Malaysian deals were great because, unlike other vendors, he never carried fakes and had great customer service.

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Montegrappa Elmo 02 "F" nib running Ferris Wheel Misguided Mistletoe

Pilot 845 "F" nib running Noodler's Cayenne, Narwhal New York "F" nib running DeAtramentis Cyan Blue-Copper

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, but I was out of town for a bit. I have the Purple Nights Duragraph with the fine nib. This one caught my eye as soon as it came out, and I found it on sale about a year ago. I have been very happy with it. It worked great out of the box, always writes well, even after sitting for a week or more, is really sharp looking, and comfortable to use. The fine nib works very well, and the line width is consistent with what I expected for a fine, #6 steel nib. The pen is a bit long posted, because the cap posts high on the pen, but that is as close as I can come to a negative. I am very happy with it. 

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

I've been eyeing the Purple Nights Duragraph, and a couple of the other colors -- I was really tempted by the look of the Iyanola, which is apparently exclusive to Cult Pens -- but want to see/try one in person if at all possible (to make sure the pen isn't too heavy for me).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

Being very late to the party, this may no longer be relevant, but if one wanted to try out a Duragraph, Vanness has their limited edition version on sale for about 25 bucks, if they are still available.  I have a passel of Duragraphs which I like very much.  Vanness has had this limited edition for quite some time, but I wasn't going to pay full freight for another Duragraph given the number I already had.  But recently, maybe last month (things have been moving at hyperpeed of late so time is, uh, relative), they had it on sale.  At that price I was helpless.  I don't recall the advert mentioning it, but it is a numbered limited edition, as I discovered when I was examining my catch.  It is engraved on the barrel.  Given the length of time they had been on offer, I was surprised that mine is number 25 of 200.  If they are still available, it would be a relatively painless way to sample a Duragraph.

As to nibs, I will leave that to others.  Early on I bought several nib section units and have changed things around until I was satisfied.  Generally, I find the nibs to be excellent, but I think I had an issue with a Medium and maybe an Omniflex.  But I primarily reside in the Fine and Extra Fine realm and I don't think I have had any problems.  If I did I just put one of the other units in and the problem was solved.  But I am a fan of the Duragraph so factor that in when deciding.