M800 barrel interchangeability

stric75

I’m wondering if M800 barrels are interchangeable between the old/early West German models (i.e., from late 1980s and early 1990s) and newer/contemporary models. I think that the evolution of M800 didn’t necessarily affect its dimensions over the years but I’d like to check. 
Namely, my old W. German M800 has some issues with its barrel and I wanted to change it but I keep finding only the newer barrels available. Any advice is helpful. 
Thanks. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• helloMB

• stric75

• encremental

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apart from the depressing idea that 80s/90s pens are 'old' and 'early' 🤨, yes - everything is interchangeable. My original Green demo and Blue  Ocean will match with any 800 nib or cap. I expect they are still all made on the same machines and with the same moulds.

(early) John

On 9/8/2023 at 8:55 AM, stric75 said:

I’m wondering if M800 barrels are interchangeable between the old/early West German models (i.e., from late 1980s and early 1990s) and newer/contemporary models. I think that the evolution of M800 didn’t necessarily affect its dimensions over the years but I’d like to check. 
Namely, my old W. German M800 has some issues with its barrel and I wanted to change it but I keep finding only the newer barrels available. Any advice is helpful. 
Thanks. 

What issues does yours have? 

As you can see from the pictures,  the green-striped cellulose acetate around the barrel started “shrinking” or even bulging up at spots. I can even feel the seam when I trace it with my finger.  It started receding from the edges toward the center, as if it’s “drying-up”. The first photo shows how it’s receding from the section, whereas the second one clearly shows how much of the actual barrel is visible.  This doesn’t affect the pen functionally, but aesthetically it looks like a blemish, and I replaced it with a used barrel from a newer M800 model (which fits perfectly, by the way). I’ve seen pictures of Pelikan’s cellulose acetate coming off the barrel when pen is dropped but I’ve never seen it shrinking like this. Reportedly, it’s not unusual, which is disappointing given the good reputation that M800s have.  

IMG_4478.jpeg

IMG_4477.jpeg

On 9/15/2023 at 9:22 PM, stric75 said:

As you can see from the pictures,  the green-striped cellulose acetate around the barrel started “shrinking” or even bulging up at spots. I can even feel the seam when I trace it with my finger.  It started receding from the edges toward the center, as if it’s “drying-up”. The first photo shows how it’s receding from the section, whereas the second one clearly shows how much of the actual barrel is visible.  This doesn’t affect the pen functionally, but aesthetically it looks like a blemish, and I replaced it with a used barrel from a newer M800 model (which fits perfectly, by the way). I’ve seen pictures of Pelikan’s cellulose acetate coming off the barrel when pen is dropped but I’ve never seen it shrinking like this. Reportedly, it’s not unusual, which is disappointing given the good reputation that M800s have.  

You have to keep in mind that the barrel is 35-40 years old, and it's not a matter of Pelikan quality, but storage of the pen over the years. This most likely occurred due to humidity. 

6 hours ago, stric75 said:

@helloMB How would humidity cause something like this? I’m just curious. Thanks. 

Humidity causes things to expand and contract. Look at what it does to celluloid pens, not far off, as the Pelikan barrels are made of cellulose acetate. Having handled hundreds of Pelikan's, I've seen things like this happen especially when they're 30-40 years old as in the case of your pen.