Vintage pens for everyday carry?

rjv

As has been noted at length, the definition of "vintage" is fluid. That being stated, I have no problem carrying and using vintage pens outside my home except for a few 100-year-old heirloom pens that I don't want to risk losing for purely sentimental reasons. I realized yesterday that I've gone to work this week with $700-$1,000 worth of pens in my pocket with no anxiety whatsoever. I would be sad if I lost one or more of them, but it would not be the end of the world.

Mike

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 51ISH

• rjv

• PAKMAN

• corniche

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, rjv said:

Thanks, 51ISH, for the kind words.  I am a semi-noobie.  For me, the issue is replaceability of the vintage pen.  I have two Sheaffer snorkels, one a fairly common Saratoga and one with the gold tube.  The gold tube stays home.

No worries :thumbup:  Although why you would introduce yourself as a 'noobie' when you have obviously been a member for quite some years I'm not entirely sure...🤔  Far better to say  maybe, "Ive been member for some years but rarely post"  Maybe?  I don't come across many 'noobies' that buy 'Sheaffer snorkels with the gold tube' if I'm honest.

I've been a member of FPN only a brief time, but I've been using fountain pens off and on since one of the nuns told us to put away the pencils.  And I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube.  And that snorkel with the gold tube was just too sweet to pass up.

image.png.1c754524ee0a434fb520c690981fec2c.png

7 minutes ago, rjv said:

I've been a member of FPN only a brief time, but I've been using fountain pens off and on since one of the nuns told us to put away the pencils.  And I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube.  And that snorkel with the gold tube was just too sweet to pass up.

image.png.1c754524ee0a434fb520c690981fec2c.png

I've been a member of FPN only a brief time,

I wasn't  trying to be nasty or horrible, merely offering advice so we are best able to respond to your post / thread.

Your Profile page states you joined in February 2016 which I hope goes some way towards explaining my reply.

Your

I mostly use vintage pens, 20s to 60s, and carry them on planes as well. Never had a problem with ink going everywhere. The only one I do not carry on planes is my Waterman 42 😊

Easy: my current EDCs are as follows: 

1) Parker 51 Aero - mid-50s;

2) Parker 61 capillary fill, Rainbow cap - early 60s;

3) Parker 75 Insignia II - late 60s. 

All the best is only beginning now...

I always carry one of my P51´s, which I would hardly call a vintage.

I adhere to the "vintage is pre 50´s school" 😊

58 minutes ago, Wahl said:

I always carry one of my P51´s, which I would hardly call a vintage.

I adhere to the "vintage is pre 50´s school" 😊

Hi Wahl, et al,

I think it's fair to consider anything over 30 years old as vintage, (and anything over 100 as antique); especially when you consider anything made/built after the middle 1950s, was designed/manufactured with "designed obsolescence" in mind.

Best wishes, Sean :)

PS: For reference, I'm almost 54. :D

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I'd have no qualms carrying a "no-frills" Waterman 52 around.  Hardly irreplaceable if it went missing.

30 minutes ago, Waltz For Zizi said:

I carry an Omas Lucens desk pen from 1939 with me. I like to flex.

Haha 

I actually have carried Extra Lucens and Lucens (non-desk) around in my bookbag in a 2 pen case with no trouble…taking out my Extra Lucens on the train or subway always did feel like a bit of a flex. My small size Lucens with chrome trim feels more appropriate!