Vintage pens for everyday carry?

rjv

Hi folks, I'm new to FPN and I'm curious as to how many of us carry vintage fountain pens around as our everyday carry.  How old is the oldest pen you carry with you everyday?  I have an early 1980s Sheaffer Connaisseur in my pocket most of the time, though I'm not sure that it qualifies as vintage.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 51ISH

• rjv

• PAKMAN

• corniche

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For many of us, the answer to this question is going to be:
aerometric Parker “51” 👍

I rotate between my pens, so the same ones are not always with me, but one or other of my 1950s aerometric Parker “51”s is often with me.
If one is using dye-based inks, IMO the aerometric “51” is still ‘the ultimate writing machine’ for office use.

My 1950s aerometric “51”s are the oldest pens that I habitually carry.

I also often carry my 1970s & 1980s Parker 75s.

Many will also cite the Parker 45.
I have two all-stainless-steel 45s, one from the early 1970s and the other from the late 1970s.

I often carry a 1970s Parker 25.

I suspect that 1950s-1960s Pelikan pistion-fill pens (e.g. 400, 400N, and 400NN) will also appear often in replies to this thread.

And probably also some vintage Montblancs, and Lamy 2000s.

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

I do not take my vintage pens to work 

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

1 hour ago, Mercian said:

For many of us, the answer to this question is going to be:
aerometric Parker “51” 👍

I rotate between my pens, so the same ones are not always with me, but one or other of my 1950s aerometric Parker “51”s is often with me.
If one is using dye-based inks, IMO the aerometric “51” is still ‘the ultimate writing machine’ for office use.

My 1950s aerometric “51”s are the oldest pens that I habitually carry.

I also often carry my 1970s & 1980s Parker 75s.

Many will also cite the Parker 45.
I have two all-stainless-steel 45s, one from the early 1970s and the other from the late 1970s.

I often carry a 1970s Parker 25.

I suspect that 1950s-1960s Pelikan pistion-fill pens (e.g. 400, 400N, and 400NN) will also appear often in replies to this thread.

And probably also some vintage Montblancs, and Lamy 2000s.

Yikes!! Spooky.....

I have a 1950's Parker 51 Aerometric.

I have a Parker 75 pen set (Fountain Pen and Ballpoint) in what I think is Thuya Red....????? Who cares it's gorgeous, even the ballpoint is a pleasure  to use.😲

I've just cleaned a couple of Parker 25's that haven't been used since the '70's and both work as they should. (Although the one I'm using likes to 'dribble' a bit of ink into the cap...just as it did in the '70's....) did they all do that??

Only yesterday I ordered a Parker 45 off ebay with a stub nib ....and very nearly bought another P45 Custom with a M nib 😲

Spooky.....👻

If it's a well behaved pen that writes nicely, why not?  I have a black and pearl Sheaffer Half Balance that I have loaded all the time, and currently a very clean red transitional Esterbrook J. 

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

2 hours ago, rjv said:

Hi folks, I'm new to FPN and I'm curious as to how many of us carry vintage fountain pens around as our everyday carry.  How old is the oldest pen you carry with you everyday?  I have an early 1980s Sheaffer Connaisseur in my pocket most of the time, though I'm not sure that it qualifies as vintage.

Welcome :thumbup: 

I must say you worded that very well for a 'noobie'.... :thumbup:

though I'm not sure that it qualifies as vintage.

Some folks around here would say a pen has to be pre 1950's to be called 'Vintage'

I have some Parker 25s  (1970's)  (Not 'Vintage' but old enough to be allowed out on their own 🤣)

I don't use FPs's at work as the paper is so poor. Although I'm thinking of taking the Parker 25 just to make sure. 🙂

18 minutes ago, Ron Z said:

If it's a well behaved pen that writes nicely, why not?  I have a black and pearl Sheaffer Half Balance that I have loaded all the time, and currently a very clean red transitional Esterbrook J. 

I have a black and pearl Sheaffer Half Balance that I have loaded all the time,

I'm not surprised. That is a stunning pen.

My best friend at Secondary School (11-16/18 yrs) who I used to sit next to had a Sheaffer in Burgundy...I'm not sure of the model...He used bottled ink, while I used carts in my Parker 25 🙁  To make matters worse he had lovely handwriting and was super clever especially on History. Sadly he passed way too soon.... in his early '20's...working a sh1ty job....such a waste.....

I have no problem carrying a Parker 51, 45, 75 or Sheaffer Ballance with me when I leave the house.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

17 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

I have no problem carrying a Parker 51, 45, 75 or Sheaffer Ballance with me when I leave the house.

My Parker 75 set was a Christmas present from my parents....and has never been allowed to leave the house in 50 years...

I don't see that changing anytime soon...🤣🤣🤣  The 51, 25 and 45 could leave tomorrow if they wanted...🙂 They are just pens.....

I guess I have a personal, working definition of "vintage" -- a pen old enough that I was not able to buy it new.  In my case that means a pen made at least 10 to 15 years ago.

With that rather loose definition of vintage, the Parker 45 is probably the vintage pen I most commonly carry. It meets my other "carry to work" criteria, also: writes reliably, is not overly fragile, not too showy looking, and reasonably easy to replace if something does happen to it.  The oldest pen I have taken to work is probably a grey Parker 51 Vac, with matching pencil. 

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

I guess I have a personal, working definition of "vintage" -- a pen old enough that I was not able to buy it new.  In my case that means a pen made at least 10 to 15 years ago.

Your 'personal working definition of 'vintage ' is interesting but 10-15 years does not make something 'vintage.  Most folks around here would not consider a pen 'vintage unless it was made in the 1950 or maybe early 1960's

For most of my 23 year teaching career I marked student work with Esterbrook Js but I also used vintage Enduras, Senior Duofolds, Balances, and others dating back to the 1920s on a regular basis.  They lived in a pen case in my book bag or in my pocket when not being used.  I never, ever left a pen lying on a desk and I never lost a pen.  Those pens were conversation starters and I always had a user grade Estie available for students to try.  I made a few converts that way.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Lately, I have carried my Wahl Eversharp Skyline to work, though right now I am using modern pens.

Erick

Using right now:

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Montegrappa Elmo 02 "F" nib running Ferris Wheel Misguided Mistletoe

Pilot 845 "F" nib running Pineider Rosso, Narwhal New York "F" nib running DeAtramentis Cyan Blue-Copper

Today I took 12 pens to the office. Among them were the following vintage (pre 1960) pens:

Pelikan 140 and 400NN 

Sheaffer Craftsman touchdown 

Parker Duofold streamlined (1930's)

No name in red celluloid unknown date, my guess is pre 1950

1960-1990

Pelikan M150 and M200 Blue Marbled (old style)

The rest are after 2010.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I've carried a circa 1937 Conway Stewart and an unknown vintage Wyvern with a hooded nib for everyday use.

Thanks, 51ISH, for the kind words.  I am a semi-noobie.  For me, the issue is replaceability of the vintage pen.  I have two Sheaffer snorkels, one a fairly common Saratoga and one with the gold tube.  The gold tube stays home.

If it's functional, for me it's fair game to carry. The only real exception to that are some of my hard rubber eyedroppers/safeties as well as Waterman black rubber lever fillers. The reason I don't really carry those is mostly practical-most of them don't have clips! I'm also a bit afraid of vintage eyedroppers leaking.

Right now in my shirt pocket is a 51 Vac and a 400NN next to a 149 in a new-ish(probably 2000s) body but a vintage nib. In my hip pocket is a Rickshaw 3-pen sleeve with another 51 Vac plus two modern pens(a 149 Italic Edge and a YOL Grand Victorian).

To me pens that many consider "vintage" are just pens. I put 70s and newer resin 146s and 149s in that category(60s resin ones I do sometimes carry but they are a bit fragile) as well as Parker 75s. Even 51s to me are fundamentally utiliarian pens-interesting, fun and great writers but durable and very functional pens. The only ones that really get special care are the sterling caps because they dent so easily, and I do have one sterling one I don't normally carry because the rhodium plating is perfect.

I will carry celluloid Montblancs including my 136, 146, and 149(although my 146 is off for repair now). The 60s 2-digit Montblancs are decidedly vintage but I don't practice any special care with those.

Various Vacumatics are in regular rotation for me, including one particular OS with a fantastic flexible nib. I'll even carry 1920s Duofolds, which in celluloid are quite durable pens although to me they are often hit or miss as enjoyable writers.

I love Wahl Decobands and will carry those on occasion. I've tried carrying an oversize Equipoise but it's a huge pen(one of the longest I have) and I'm not particularly fond of the nib on that specific one-a really dry manifold nib that is so stiff it's defied my attempts to make it a bit wetter. I don't dislike the Manifold nibs in general, and they do have their uses for me, but this particular one is terrible.

12 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Yes; this for me as well... with the 51 being the standout.

The only vintage pen I would definitely NOT carry is one of the old Duofolds made of hard rubber or celluloid... both materials have become brittle with age and easily crack or break under the rigors of daily use. Same goes for the Waterman, etc., brands... any old pen made of hard rubber or celluloid.

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

3 hours ago, corniche said:

Yes; this for me as well... with the 51 being the standout.

The only vintage pen I would definitely NOT carry is one of the old Duofolds made of hard rubber or celluloid... both materials have become brittle with age and easily crack or break under the rigors of daily use. Same goes for the Waterman, etc., brands... any old pen made of hard rubber or celluloid.

- Sean :)

Yes a Waterman 100 year or Patrician or any other number of vintage celluloid pens wouldn't go out!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've carried a variety of vintage pens out places with me, depending on where I'm going.  The only pen that does NOT leave the house anymore is a Morrison ringtop with a gold-filled filigree overlay -- I've had it unscrew itself from the cap when I've had it on the lanyard on multiple locations (so I'm now leery of taking it or any of the OTHER Morrison ringtops out of the house as well, other than for repairs on some of them -- especially the sterling overlay one, which cost a LOT more than that first one did).  And because the first one has such a lovely semi-flex stub nib, I really DON'T want to lose it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."