Books

rhk

(I posted this in 2013, but the links are broken)

Sometimes it is cheaper to read these books than to try to buy the pens described inside... Most of these books are quite old, if someone has seen new coffee table books, I would love to know!

Ruud

CANTON, Jean-François. Namiki - The poignant beauty of fragile things. Jean-François Canton, 2013. 304p. English and French editions. ISBN 9782746651180

spacer.png

LYN, Bernard. Maki-e, an Art for the Soul (The Danitrio Maki-e Collection). Dani International Corp. 2003. 255p. English. ISBN 9579403074.

spacer.png

GEROSA, Alberto. Maki-e, a story waiting to be written. A journey through the world of lacquered fountain pens. O.P.S., 2012. 199p. Italian and English editions. ISBN 9788890101281

spacer.png

OVERBURY, Stephen and Julia Hutt. Namiki: The Art of Japanese Pens. 2000. 160p. English. ISBN 0968643507.

spacer.png

MURAKAMI, Tomihiro. Dunhill-Namiki and Lacquer Pens. 2002. (2nd Edition) / 1st Edition: Shibunsha. 2000. English. Out of print.

spacer.png

LAMBROU, Andreas and Sunami, Masamichi. Fountain Pens of Japan. Andreas Lambrou Publishers Ltd, 2012. 448p. English. ISBN 9780957172388

spacer.png

LARQUEMIN, Christophe. The Four Seasons of Namiki. Velvet, 2009. 207p. English and French editions. ISBN 9782746604902

spacer.png

POH, Lindy and Ken Cheung. A Heritage of Maki-e Pens. The Briggs Collection. ISBN 9-789710-579211.

spacer.png

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• inkstainedruth

• rhk

• XYZZY

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow!  Thank you for this list!  And thank you also for including the bibliographical information in the body of the post along with the pictures.

I've looked for these books for years now. Never find any. I have the Fountain Pens of Japan and the Danitrio books. The others, well, they are rarely found for sale at anything approaching a reasonable price. There is one of Canton's books up on eBay now for $600. That's a lot for some pretty pictures. For me, I'd rather just buy another Namiki pen. Perhaps if the books offer some deep details on the pens I'd be interested but without being able to browse the books I have no idea what they contain. I have a large urushi and maki-e pen collection and I take my own photos, maybe I should write a book on urushi and maki-e pens. I already did a 'zine on Stylo Art pens. 

I have some of the books noted by Ruud and a few more. Will post images work and holiday permitting.

Frankly the best method I have found is to create my own book. Am very interested in early Platinum 3776 makie models. Without catalogues and sales literature even the standard issue models are impossible to date and identify. I decided to collect images of every model I could locate and try to assemble the images in an intelligent order.

Did the same with Pilot Custom models. There are a number that are not in regular catalogues yet, if you inquire to Pilot, they readily provide numbers and approximate number made.

There will never be a book or catalogue that exhibits all of my interests. Just took the initiative when I had the time 

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I think I've seen the Fountain Pens of Japan book for sale at someone's table at some pen shows I've been at (sorry, don't remember whose table, though).

Also thinking that the other books MIGHT be available at larger pen stores (although probably expensive AND with expensive shipping as well).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Best resources for older pen books might be the used book websites like Abebooks or even Amazon. I'm sure there are others. When FPOJ came out the price was much more than I expected. A few weeks later, and before I could decide to pony up the cost, found a new copy online for $30 plus media mail shipping. Doubt if I will ever find a bargain like that again.

Point is that you have be looking and serious in your search. You might also connect with other collectors who have some books and share information. FPN is a good resource only if you use it. The mail feature is often underused.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Good suggestion, stan!  Also check out eBay (although sometimes the prices of books get doubled by shipping charges, especially if they're coming from overseas).  

But there is another caveat: a lot of books I've seen (not specifically pen books, though -- I haven't ever really looked) are from used book sellers trying to reach a bigger market than what they have locally, and if you don't jump on them, they might get sold out from underneath you before you hit the "buy" button, either to another person on eBay, or to some in-person shopper (for the latter, I suspect that's the listings that are ended "because the item is no longer available").  

Also, read the feedback ratings carefully.  I got screwed over by a pen seller a few months ago because after haggling a bit, and having my price accepted, two days later woke up to find a notification in my inbox from PayPal refunding me, saying that the item was "no longer available" (Really?  3 days ago the seller claimed to have TWO of them!).  And THAT was a seller with 100% positive feedback (well, perhaps not so much NOW, since it was the one time that eBay's lousy IT worked in MY favor, instead of a seller's; eBay said I *couldn't* give negative feedback because the transaction was cancelled, and I said "NOT BY ME IT WASN'T" and did it anyway...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Some additions.

Includes the original Fountain Pens of Japan and the updated version. Pens in this book were eventually sold and are NOT in the Sunami collection that comprised most of the Lambrou/Sunami work.

20221225_085425.jpg

20221225_085410.jpg

20221225_085351.jpg

20221225_085332.jpg

20221225_085242.jpg

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Sort of a PS. There is a Chinese edition of Pens of the World that contains several good images of collectable Japanese pens. Had a copy - sold it. Contains images that were pilfered off the internet. Some images i've never seen before.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Sorely lacking in any of the pens of Japan books are decent representations of less-than-high-quality makes and models. Most books focus on makie, some limited and special editions, and unique or historically important models. There are many many second and third tier manufacturers in the 1930s through 1950s and 1960s that, with rare exceptions, are not catalogued. There were some good manufacturers that need exposure and attention. Problem is information about companies is less than scanty. There were artists who produced great makie, hiramakie, and carved pens who are virtually unknown. It may take a substantial and time consuming effort to create this presentation. There are some Japanese websites that occasionally provide bits and pieces and are worth visiting on a regular basis. This blog does a good job: https://ameblo.jp/kamisama-samasama/theme-10065914024.html. You will need to dig through the posts to find articles of interest.

Happy hunting.

PS: Forgot to mention there is a really good book on short pens that covers almost every conceivable manufacturer. It is available at https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Pocket-Pens-Richard-Binder-ebook/dp/B086K3LGP9. For the money it is a great deal

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

10 hours ago, rudyhou said:

👍 nice collection you have here.  making me think about getting some. 

Get them while you can. 

Better: Get them if you can!

If there is anything I can imagine being published it is a comprehensive, and I mean comprehensive, compilation of Namiki images. It will cost several hundred dollars.

For me of incredible interest would be compilations of 1920 and 1930s silver pens and makie produced by minor makers. When reviewing catalogues of minor makers there are almost always a few makie, Never ever see any for sale. wonder where they are.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

I am in the process of cataloguing my collection in order to create some sort of publication (not exactly sure of the format yet). It will cover a lot of the non-maki-e significant pens by the big 3, and interesting models (including some maki-e) from some of the smaller makers.