Montblanc to the rescue for King Charles III

max dog

Apparently the pen King Charles III used that day it leaked, of that viral video, was a Parker pen, that he wasn't holding properly.  

https://www.indy100.com/viral/king-charles-pen-that-works

Brian Bramble, who qualified in calligraphy 15 years ago at Reigate School of Art, concluded that Charles "holds the pen too flat".  "He appears to be using a parker fountain pen," Brian said. "Once the ink is flowing, they work fine, but you have to hold them vertically."

"King Charles III appeared to have brought his own pen to a Welsh cathedral to avoid any further mishaps."

His own pen is his Montblanc 146 Sterling Pinstripe Solitaire which he used for many years to write his famous "Black Spider" Memos, as can be seen here.

Prince Charles "Black Spider Memo's".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/13/prince-charles-black-spider-memos-lobbying-ministers-tony-blair

I love my 146 Sterling Pinstripe Solitaire, and to know it is the King's own personal pen is even more special.  

Prince Charles Montblanc 146 sterling pinstripe.jpg

Prince Charles writing with his Montblanc 146 sterling pinstripe.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• kazoolaw

• amberleadavis

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

King Charles III using his own personal pen, Montblanc 146 Sterling Pinstripe, that he can be sure will not leak at the Welsh Cathedral.

4 hours ago, max dog said:

Charles "holds the pen too flat"

Yeah right, but when he holds the Solitaire (which looks like a 149 to me - 2nd photo) in the way he's accustomed to, it functions?  Dear Mr Bramble; nonsence!

Add lightness and simplicate.

I would imagine this one would be very unbalanced posted due to the metal cap. Mind, unless its my small vintage Omas I don´t like writing with my pens posted. I would imagine this pen is used mainly for signing and has a nice juicy double broad nib that Mont Blanc do so well. Looking at his signature its hard to tell if its a normal or Oblique. My double broad oblique vintage Mont Blanc has a bit more line variation this this.

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

4 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Yeah right, but when he holds the Solitaire (which looks like a 149 to me - 2nd photo) in the way he's accustomed to, it functions?  Dear Mr Bramble; nonsence!

I had a close look at that viral video, and while at a quick glance everyone here thought it was a silver Montblanc 146, It looks like that leaky pen was most likely a silver Parker Premier with black section, which has a screw on cap, and the nib is short and stubby looking like a standard Parker Urban kind of nib, which is also like the one found on a Premier too, definitely not a 146 nib.  

10 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Difficult to tell 146 vs 149 from the distance, in the photo.

I have shook hands with him (twice!) and can tell you that he has very big hands.

15 hours ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ @max dog:

Thank you so much for taking time to post this information.

Tom K.

Hi Tom, how are you!  My pleasure, it's so awesome to see fountain pens in the news!  It's really nice to see them used in important ceremonies, and when one of them is the same one you use, even nicer.  

Thank you for sharing this information.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY