The Las Vegas Pen Posse - Fritz Schimpf - Montblanc Play time

amberleadavis

Here are some comparisons.  MB146 Calligraphy, MB146 Fine and MB149 Medium

large.2022-08-02_00100.jpg.b26432d4589fd01d1ad042a0f6237c51.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Frank C

• Nick T

• NoType

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MB 149 Medium

MB 146 Fine

MB 146 Calligraphy

large.2022-08-02_00094.jpg.38c603530944b97bd1912e5ad168924a.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

large.2022-08-02_00097.jpg.61d4f9978dfce13335e00c5867a91f35.jpg

large.2022-08-02_00096.jpg.81c3d790d989029332ddc7fa4b568b7d.jpglarge.2022-08-02_00093.jpg.2a2f5404928070c6cca2bfb31ed62da3.jpg

large.2022-08-02_00095.jpg.034bd058bfc41a054d555c4405afc72f.jpg

~ @amberleadavis:

Impressive! Love seeing such extensive handwriting samples.

Both pens and inks are eye-pleasing in the strokes, curves, and lines they produce.

Thank you!

Tom K.

2 hours ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ @amberleadavis:

Impressive! Love seeing such extensive handwriting samples.

Both pens and inks are eye-pleasing in the strokes, curves, and lines they produce.

Thank you!

Tom K.

Oh thank you.

blushing-50.gif

We did have fun. Amberlea's not-even-trying handwriting is much better than my I'm-trying-as-hard-as-I-can efforts. We also diagnosed a feed problem with my 149 Calligraphy pen, so it went down to the Montblanc Store the next day for a trip to Texas and/or California for repairs. I am fortunate to have quite a few really nice pens and quite a few really nice friends. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

23 minutes ago, Frank C said:

. . . I am fortunate to have quite a few really nice pens and quite a few really nice friends. 

Frank C, what a lovely sentiment, so eloquently expressed.

@amberleadavis Thank you for this graphically enticing and enlivening thread, in which your scans are akin to modern art, which future anthropologists undoubtedly will study bemusedly — the way present anthropologists regard the Lascaux Cave paintings today.

3 hours ago, Nick T said:

Thank you for sharing Amber. Lovely writing. 

Thank you. I try to find any excuse to use my pens and especially @Frank C's pens. 

1 hour ago, Frank C said:

We did have fun. Amberlea's not-even-trying handwriting is much better than my I'm-trying-as-hard-as-I-can efforts. I am fortunate to have quite a few really nice pens and quite a few really nice friends. 

Frank is a wonderful friend, and for me, he has been the great enabler and encouraged me to stop buying inexpensive fine nib pens and instead save up for pens and nibs that really made my penmanship shine.  Frank was there to introduce me to Pendleton Brown and I acquired my very first custom ground nib.  Frank was the one who also got me started on the quest to expanded my ink collection.  (He and I did the first group buy of thee Akkerman inks).

46 minutes ago, NoType said:

Frank C, what a lovely sentiment, so eloquently expressed.

I agree!

43 minutes ago, NoType said:

@amberleadavis Thank you for this graphically enticing and enlivening thread, in which your scans are akin to modern art, which future anthropologists undoubtedly will study bemusedly — the way present anthropologists regard the Lascaux Cave paintings today.

Big grin, what a delightful way to think about it!

14 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Frank is a wonderful friend, and for me, he has been the great enabler and encouraged me to stop buying inexpensive fine nib pens and instead save up for pens and nibs that really made my penmanship shine. 

Amberlea ~ thank you for expressing these thoughts about your pen journey. Reading them caused me to realize I am on the same path. Since purchasing a MB 149 Calligraphy over a year ago I haven’t picked up any of the other pens collected over the past 35 years! With the exception on a Sheaffer Legacy I purchased in 1991 and use to make to-do lists in the kitchen; purely utility use.

The “challenge” now is to decide which MB to purchase next. The Calligraphy is so perfect that I wrestle with the idea of buying another one of those and calling it a day. The Calligraphy covers all the bases. It’s like painting words on the page.

Thank you again.

Cheers - Nicholas

11 hours ago, Nick T said:

Amberlea ~ thank you for expressing these thoughts about your pen journey. Reading them caused me to realize I am on the same path. Since purchasing a MB 149 Calligraphy over a year ago I haven’t picked up any of the other pens collected over the past 35 years! With the exception on a Sheaffer Legacy I purchased in 1991 and use to make to-do lists in the kitchen; purely utility use.

The “challenge” now is to decide which MB to purchase next. The Calligraphy is so perfect that I wrestle with the idea of buying another one of those and calling it a day. The Calligraphy covers all the bases. It’s like painting words on the page.

Thank you again.

If the Calligraphy 149 suits your handwriting, I would suggest getting another one or getting a Calligraphy 146. As far as I can tell, the 149s are sold out; the 146s are readily available. I have one of each. I keep one filled with MB Permanent Black Ink and the other one with MB Permanent Blue. I have big hands, but for longer writing sessions, I prefer a 146. The 146 Calligraphy is a very functional daily pen even if you never flex the nib. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

9 minutes ago, Frank C said:

If the Calligraphy 149 suits your handwriting, I would suggest getting another one or getting a Calligraphy 146. As far as I can tell, the 149s are sold out; the 146s are readily available. I have one of each. I keep one filled with MB Permanent Black Ink and the other one with MB Permanent Blue. I have big hands, but longer writing sessions, I prefer a 146. The 146 Calligraphy is a very functional daily pen even if you never flex the nib. 

Thank you Frank. That is a great suggestion. I’ve never tried a 146 on for size. There is a Montblanc dealer near me in Boston where I should be able to. It might be nice to have 2 different sizes; one utilitarian, and one for special notes, letters and “painting” words. I’ll have to go with some good paper and wear one out 😁
    My letters usually run 5 to 10 double sided pages. The 149 hasn’t tired me out yet. Maybe because I am a musician (guitar) and have strong hands/fingers? There is nothing like trying it out in person.

I purchased my 149C from a boutique in Italy. I believe they are still “out there” if one is diligent and relentless in the search. 
    Thank you again for your suggestion. I’m going to take you up on it and make a MB boutique trip this Fall. Thanks!

Cheers - Nicholas

7 hours ago, Nick T said:

Thank you Frank. That is a great suggestion. I’ve never tried a 146 on for size. There is a Montblanc dealer near me in Boston where I should be able to. It might be nice to have 2 different sizes; one utilitarian, and one for special notes, letters and “painting” words. I’ll have to go with some good paper and wear one out 😁
    My letters usually run 5 to 10 double sided pages. The 149 hasn’t tired me out yet. Maybe because I am a musician (guitar) and have strong hands/fingers? There is nothing like trying it out in person.

I purchased my 149C from a boutique in Italy. I believe they are still “out there” if one is diligent and relentless in the search. 
    Thank you again for your suggestion. I’m going to take you up on it and make a MB boutique trip this Fall. Thanks!

Another place to look in Boston is Appelboom. Their original store is in the Netherlands, but they bought the old Broomfield Street Pen Store in Boston a couple of years ago. I haven't been to the new store, but Broomfield Pens was a regular stop for me when I lived in the Boston area. Gourmet Pens always has coupons for them, but they may not apply on Montblanc products. 

As for strong hands, being a guitarist surely helps strengthen your fingers. 

I find the two Calligraphy nibs to be very similar. Even though the 146 is smaller, it is capable of line variation similar to the 149. 

I wish you well in trying to wear one out. Of course, if you do manage to wear one out Montblanc will fix your pen for a reasonable price. 

My mother, who just turned 100, used a Parker 51 for about 70 years—the same pen. When she finally let me touch it—I was mature enough to own a few Montblancs by that time and she wanted to try them—I noticed that the tipping material was completely worn off. I told her that I could get her a new nib, but she said that she was happy with her pen the way it was. 

3 hours ago, Frank C said:

. . .My mother, who just turned 100, used a Parker 51 for about 70 years—the same pen. When she finally let me touch it—I was mature enough to own a few Montblancs by that time and she wanted to try them—I noticed that the tipping material was completely worn off. I told her that I could get her a new nib, but she said that she was happy with her pen the way it was. . .

Many warm, if belated, felicitations to your honoured mother!  How fortunate you are still to be able to enjoy her company.

12 hours ago, Frank C said:

Another place to look in Boston is Appelboom. Their original store is in the Netherlands, but they bought the old Broomfield Street Pen Store in Boston a couple of years ago. I haven't been to the new store, but Broomfield Pens was a regular stop for me when I lived in the Boston area. Gourmet Pens always has coupons for them, but they may not apply on Montblanc products.

I miss the old Broomfields store. I used to go in there when I was a college student. They always had a fine selection of used fountain pens and an array of inks. I will visit Appelboom's. I tried in vain to get a 149C through them early last year. All sold out.

I find the two Calligraphy nibs to be very similar. Even though the 146 is smaller, it is capable of line variation similar to the 149. 

This is great information! Thank you so much! I will bring my 149C for comparison and try before I buy. This is looking promising.

The idea of owning a second MB Calligraphy is for use while traveling. I doubt I could ever wear out the nib! The 149C never leaves my home. Too precious.

My mother, who just turned 100, used a Parker 51 for about 70 years—the same pen.

Happy Birthday and many happy returns to your Mom.

In another thread concerning the historical accuracy of props in feature films and tv it was mentioned to me that the aristocracy in England had access to Parker 51's as early as the 1930's. I wonder how far and wide those pens traveled when first introduced to the public. It is amazing, to me, that your mom wore the tipping material off hers.

I have some of my mothers handwriting journals from her time at Abbott Academy in Andover. Her script was neat and machine-like. I can imagine the number of hours needed to gain that level of accuracy might have worn some nibs down too:) Unfortunately I "got into" her collection of fountain pens as a young child and ruined many of them, though I still have my grandfathers and fathers Sheaffer pens. I remember that most of them were lever fillers that fascinated my young mind.

Thank you again or sharing your knowledge Frank and best wishes for a fruitful school year.

Cheers - Nicholas