• donnweinberg

• georgeb

3 hours ago, dave321 said:

does anyone have one of these ?

care to comment on it.?

it seems a cheaper version of the Magna pen

~£190 in the uk

looks a nice pen with i think a no 7 nib

I have one.  I bought mine from Onoto when they were first introduced and at a discounted price.  It is a lovely pen and a superb writing pen.  It is slightly smaller in diameter and length than the Magna (I have one as well).  Fit and finish is excellent as one would expect from Onoto.  The nib is identical to the Magna nib.  The Scholar will post if one chooses to unlike the Magna.  That said, I use my Scholar unposted despite usually preferring to post with most of my pens.

Would I say it is worth the price? Yes.  In fact, I'd say it is good value for the money.

I thoroughly agree with ParramattaPaul!!!!!!!!

The Onoto Scholar fountain pen is totally fabulous an worth every penny.

• 1 year later...

I recently received (by purchase from Onoto) a Mandarin Yellow Onoto Scholar fountain pen with a broad stainless steel nib.  It looks and feels great, but I haven't inked it yet.  I just ordered 3 other Onoto pens from Onoto -- the Greenwich, the Pi, and the Magna Rosso (red) -- each with an 18K broad nib.  I ordered the Greenwich with a plunger filler and the other two with a C/C filling system.  They were put into shipment with DHL only a few days after I ordered them.  I'm looking forward to receiving them and adding them to my collection.  I will be inking one or more.  

You will love your Onotos.  I love mine!  

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of the Onoto Scholars when first released, it was the Oxford Blue, and I do like pen, however two comments, the broad nib I ordered is really not broad enough for my personal preference. Secondly when using an ink cartridge the pen will suddenly go dry and I have to shake the pen hard to force ink to the nib and the ink flow will resume. 

3 hours ago, Boston Brian said:

I bought one of the Onoto Scholars when first released, it was the Oxford Blue, and I do like pen, however two comments, the broad nib I ordered is really not broad enough for my personal preference. Secondly when using an ink cartridge the pen will suddenly go dry and I have to shake the pen hard to force ink to the nib and the ink flow will resume. 

I have a black Scholar already. It a great pen. Hence, my lust for one in evergreen. Green is my favourite colour after all.

I've had no problem with it skipping or drying out, but I use bottled Diamine ink and the converter that was suppliedwiththepen.

What cartridges are you using?

ADDED: i actually have two Scholars.  I had forgotten about the 'Highland' rendition that I had tucked away.

The new Onoto pens I mentioned above are in, and I have inked-up the Magna Rosso with the gold broad nib.  It wrote immediately and is a wonderful writer.  The broad nib, although not springy, naturally provides a small degree of shading between the up-down and side-to-side strokes.  A great pen.

Another thing I learned, relating to the quite expensive "pump-filler" option:  The site states that this option cannot be purchased with the "extra weight" option.  This is true.  With the extra weight option, some brass-like metal is added to the barrel cylinder.  That extra mass prevents the removable pump-filler from fitting into the barrel.  If one wants to use the pump-filler interchangeably among Magna-sized pens, then don't order the extra weight option.  The pump-filler will not fit into the Scholar pens at all, as the Scholar pens have a smaller barrel diameter than that in the Magna pens.

Adding to the above, the Excel is smaller and lighter than the Scholar.

None of my Onoto pens has the added weight option. I have medium sized hands and all three pens are, for me at least, comfortable to use unposted.

I have tried several different ink cartridges, including Diamine, MontBlanc, and others. Guess I need to try a converter and fill from a bottle and see if that solves the issue.

Like others who have commented, I am attracted by the new Scholar in the green color .

3 minutes ago, Boston Brian said:

I have tried several different ink cartridges, including Diamine, MontBlanc, and others. Guess I need to try a converter and fill from a bottle and see if that solves the issue.

Like others who have commented, I am attracted by the new Scholar in the green color .

Let us know how you go with a converter.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically it has made things a little better, but using the converter has not totally cured the problem. I should tell you that I have sent this pen back to Photo and they clearly did not fix the issue! 

5 hours ago, Boston Brian said:

Basically it has made things a little better, but using the converter has not totally cured the problem. I should tell you that I have sent this pen back to Photo and they clearly did not fix the issue! 

I there was more that I could suggest.  It's a new Onoto, correct?

I bought the pen directly from Onoto brand new, when they introduced the Scholar series!  Sort of underwhelmed by how I was treated as a customer.

It was educational experience, I mean it taught me a lesson! 

1 hour ago, Boston Brian said:

I bought the pen directly from Onoto brand new, when they introduced the Scholar series!  Sort of underwhelmed by how I was treated as a customer.

That's unfortunate.

I bought my first Scholar (I have two) when they were first introduced as well.  Fortunately, I haven't had the need to contact Onoto's customer service for any of the new pens I have, so I'm disappointed yo hear that they are a 'disappointment'.

I have to say that I had a similar experience with Conway Stewart's customer service.  They didn't even bother to reply to my query.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally inked up my new Mandarin Yellow Scholar FP with a broad stainless steel nib.  I filled it with Waterman South Seas Blue ink.  It wrote immediately and is very smooth.  Over the last few days, it has performed very well.  I can say that the "feel" of the stainless steel broad nib on the Scholar and of the 18K gold broad nib on the Magna Rosso are the same.  Both are smooth and wet writers, but I can't detect any "feel" advantage with the gold version.  Anyone else made the comparison?

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2024 at 6:39 PM, Boston Brian said:

You might try flushing the pen with pen cleaner or soapy water.

No disrespect but I have tried flushing it, its just a high priced pen badly made and a disappointing experience!

I'm surprised. 

I have several Onoto pens including three Scholars. I have not had any problems with any of them.  They have been flawless smooth writers with instant ink flow despite having been left unused for several days.

As much as I love Conway Stewart pens, and I do, I have to say Onotos are better pens.

Onotos have a warranty.  With that being the case, I suggest that you return the pen and request a replacement. You can ask for a refund if you are not satisfied with the replafement.