What was your last very deliberate pen purchase?

Misfit

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• AmandaW

• amberleadavis

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

@Penguincollector you are a good daughter. Wishing your Dad well.

@InkyColors wishing you well, and hoping your next treatment works. 

Thank you.  I had an infusion Friday. I don’t know if it’s working on the cancer, but it’s really knocking me flat!  My very young infusion nurse wanted to know if I had any plans for the weekend!  As if I have the energy to walk down the hallway, much less get ready and go out!

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

@Penguincollector you are a good daughter. Wishing your Dad well.

Thank you, hope you and your mom are well. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

10 hours ago, MHBru said:

It didnt take long for me to break down and pre-order the new Pelikan Glauco Cambon.  I've been waiting to see if those pens ever made the light of day since they were hinted about back in August 2021.

I've seen pictures of those.  And they're really attractive looking.  But then I look at the pricetag....:yikes:

Ruth Morrisson inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

5 hours ago, InkyColors said:

Thank you.  I had an infusion Friday. I don’t know if it’s working on the cancer, but it’s really knocking me flat!  My very young infusion nurse wanted to know if I had any plans for the weekend!  As if I have the energy to walk down the hallway, much less get ready and go out!

I remember how it was for my Dad. He had chemo on a Wednesday, wore a pump home with more chemo, then got it off on Friday. Saturday and Sunday were part of it, so it wasn’t until Monday that the worst of it was behind. Yet he would still mow the lawn on his riding lawnmower. (sigh, I miss him so much).

Posted Image

As for a pen purchase, I told myself if I got up at a good hour for say 5 days to a week, then I could order one. But my wake-up hour went the wrong direction. 

Posted Image

@InkyColors: Hang in there with the infusions. After my sessions, I would take the scenic 45 minute route as I drive myself home, and then plan for a chill no-plans weekend as I dealt with the side effects afterwards. A lot of binge watching (or sleeping through) episodes happened.

As for a deliberate pen purchase: I'm awaiting my first gold nib pen: a used Pilot Custom 74 in Extra Fine. That took a lot more researching and digging than when I've looked for vintage hand tools. I am very hopeful that the time and effort pays off.

6 minutes ago, Skydiver said:

@InkyColors: Hang in there with the infusions. After my sessions, I would take the scenic 45 minute route as I drive myself home, and then plan for a chill no-plans weekend as I dealt with the side effects afterwards. A lot of binge watching (or sleeping through) episodes happened.

As for a deliberate pen purchase: I'm awaiting my first gold nib pen: a used Pilot Custom 74 in Extra Fine. That took a lot more researching and digging than when I've looked for vintage hand tools. I am very hopeful that the time and effort pays off.

Skydiver,  Thanks for the encouragement. I have a custom 74 with a fine nib. I’ve found that it needs a wet ink and is a good writer if I’m careful about my ink choices. At first I was disappointed in the pen, but with the right ink it’s great. 

I have a Pilot Custom 74 in translucent orange, broad nib. It was hard to find. I got it from Zaf Pens in Athens. First time I ever ordered something from Greece. They were good with communication too. 

Posted Image

Odd thing to mention here, in a pen thread. Still, since we’ve been taking about infusions. I noticed how the nurses had to squeeze through areas, and were almost contortionists.  My Dad had long legs, plus in the last year, he took a walker in. 

In my caregiving of my Mom, I feel like I’m getting good at that squeezing in, especially in the small bedroom. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I have a Pilot Custom 74 in translucent orange, broad nib. It was hard to find. I got it from Zaf Pens in Athens. First time I ever ordered something from Greece. They were good with communication too. 

I’ll bet that’s a pretty pen. I was tempted to buy one, but since I already had a teal and a blue I didn’t. My blue is a medium and writes more like what I would expect a broad to write like.  The broad must be like writing with a magic marker!

@InkyColors To me, the B is a nice width, so not like a magic marker; but then, I love 1.1mm stub and italic nibs, so perhaps we have different ideas of nibs that write like magic markers. 😉

Posted Image

On 9/12/2023 at 1:56 PM, Penguincollector said:

I just bought my dad a 3 pack of Pilot Varsity pens. He’s been moved to a care facility and asked for some spy novels, word searches, and journals, so I included some pens that are easy to use and aren’t too expensive if a caregiver walks off with one. Who knows, it might broaden someone’s horizon. 

Encourage your dad to exercise his body as well as his mind.  They are figuring out the mechanism by which it slows Alzheimer disease, and also, there is a very strong correlation between how quickly you can get off the floor without assistance and life expectancy.  My mom started lifting weights for strength in her 60s after she broke both arms, three days a week, and did cardio for three as well.  She didn't lift big, but she was consistent.  It really helped reduce how often she fell, and she was snowshoeing, hiking, cycling, kayaking, and cross-country skiing until about two weeks before she died, at 85.

31 minutes ago, Arkanabar said:

Encourage your dad to exercise his body as well as his mind.  They are figuring out the mechanism by which it slows Alzheimer disease, and also, there is a very strong correlation between how quickly you can get off the floor without assistance and life expectancy.  My mom started lifting weights for strength in her 60s after she broke both arms, three days a week, and did cardio for three as well.  She didn't lift big, but she was consistent.  It really helped reduce how often she fell, and she was snowshoeing, hiking, cycling, kayaking, and cross-country skiing until about two weeks before she died, at 85.

Thanks for the advice, he’s doing better. He shattered a hip on his 89th birthday mid pandemic. It’s been a long, slow recovery but he’s making progress. He’s 91 and trying very hard to stay as fit as possible. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

I posted about the Levenger True Writer in Americana and the Esterbrook Estie in Scarlet looking like similar colors. I finally decided tonight that the Estie was too pricey. The Journaler nib sounds a bit like a Franklin-Christoph SIG nib. I have one of those. Even though the Journaler is based on the 9314-M nib, I have a 2314-M nib, which is fantastic, and easily shows line variation. So I bought the True Writer instead. I think I read in loose nib reviews that someone put one on their True Writer. I’ll be researching that as I have quite a few True Writer pens. 

Posted Image

I once posted here why I didn’t understand why the TWSBI Diamond Mini or maybe it was the Eco, both have been done in white and rose gold, cost more. A person from TWSBI answered why. It has to do with getting the bronze color on all the parts… technical stuff. 

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

The Levenger True Writer I bought at $60 something is now $35.80. I’m not pleased. I paid more, and am not sure I like the pen as well as I expected to. 

Posted Image