What was your last very deliberate pen purchase?

Misfit

A Retro 51 Silver Lining with 1.1mm stub nib. I’ve searched for it a few times. I may not have searched enough though, now that I think about it. Oh well. 

Posted Image

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• AmandaW

• amberleadavis

A Sailor 1911 with a Naginata Cross Concord back in August of '20 was my last pen purchase to date. I just wanted to use it to replace the factory nib on my Conid Regular. No more pens for me until I complete my undergraduate degree program.

The current setup

1. Conid Regular AntwerpPen/Naginata Cross Concord- Sailor Nioi-Sumire (three years and counting!)

2. 1920-something Wahl-Eversharp BCHR Oversize Gold Seal/Manifold- Aurora Black

3. Pelikan M800 Tortoise/O3B- Kobe Ginza gold sepia

1936 Vacumatic Oversize Brown Pearl- Rest in (several) pieces. You will be missed!

4. Pelikan M805 Stresemann extra fine- Aurora Black

A Montblanc 144 (my first Montblanc FP) and a Sheafffer Snorkel at the New York Metropolitan Pen Show.  I went looking for a Montblanc and walked away with two gems. 

"Live like you were dying" ~Tim McGraw.  Truer words have never been spoken, and you'll never know that until you've had to fight for your life.

Edison Chicago Pen Show limited Edition Comet made from Jonathon Brooks Forged Patina. Tuned at the pen show just for me. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9ac87e7cbfa7a19e43b7dd7afb6c8376.jpeg

41 minutes ago, Misfit said:

@Parker51 please let me know what your impressions of the Comet are. I’ve wondered about that pen. It looks neat. 

It is a wonderful pen, much better balanced than the Skyline which it is reminiscent of due to subtle differences in dimensions and differences in materials. I like the shape and it feels right in my hand. And as it was tuned, in person to my hand and use, it writes wonderfully. 

@Parker51Thank you for the information.  I liked versions I saw on the Edison smugmug site where the topper is in translucent material.  As I impulsively bought a Franklin-Christoph last night, I can’t go looking for a Comet now. But one day, I expect I might get one. I love my Beaumont C/C pen. I would look at their pens wondering which model I’d like next. I have a Menlo also. I got it at the 2014 Chicago Pen Show. 

Posted Image

I have no idea what this is, other than a ring top lever filler. The price was right, and I figure that I can work on it unless it turns out to be a better deal than I thought. I can’t read what’s on the nib all that well. I blew up the picture as well I could, I see a 4 and a 2. Should be here within a week. 

79318AE9-6BF0-4B83-89F1-AAE4A01D290D.jpeg

991950C6-F670-4548-BCB8-8E30CF4827AC.jpeg

0D2680DA-2A5C-4186-88F1-10AFE79F055E.jpeg

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Thank you! 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

My last deliberate pen purchase?

Yesterday afternoon: 3 TWSBI Ecos.

Cerulean Blue, EF

Lilac, EF

Glow Purple, M

And I will get the Glow Green in M as well. 

I intend to get the Glow Eco nibs ground at the Triangle Pen Show next summer. Kirk Speer did such a marvelous job with the nib he ground for me at the 2022 show on the Transparent Yellow M nib, that I think I'll go for multiple grinds on the transparent/glow color releases, and stay with EF nibs for the opaque colors.

I've noticed that the Glow Purple is a translucent match for the Lilac, and the Glow Green is a translucent match for the Jade. Dare I hope a Glow Blue might be released as a match for the Cerulean? 

Fingers crossed! 

(Now if only TWSBI would release an Opaque Blood Red, an Opaque Emerald/Forest Green, and an Opaque Lapis Blue ... and possibly add gold flecks to that Lapis Blue, to match the real stone. Man, I would buy all three in a hot second!)

Twsbi Eco pens are useful and collectible.So many colours and now glow pens. Semitransparent or solid colours will be nice additions,

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a transparent blue Yongsheng 699 with a 14k nib. I’ve been looking at it for a long time. It was about 25% off and I haven’t seen it that low since I started looking, so I bit. I missed out on a fair few transparent blue pens so I didn’t want to miss out on this one. 

A Pilot Custom 742 with FA nib. I love my Falcon, and I wanted more flexy pen experiences, and since I'm only experienced (kinda, a little) with Pilot, I went with the only other option. I was delighted to find that the FA nib is flexier than the Falcon nib, though I wish it lay down a finer line when writing standard cursive.

For a few months, I'd wanted to purchase a pair of FPR's Tanoshii Urushi Art pens, to celebrate our anniversary.  I love the pens, and my wife loves Asian decor.  But the ones I wanted were out of stock, and so I wound up wiating months to actually pop them into my cart and get through the purchase process.

Parker Duofold Centennial, Black and Pearl, M nib, likely from 1990s. It was a grail pen of mine ever since then, and I finally bid for one on the EvilBay. Shown with an original parker Big Red circa 1928.

IMG_0814.jpg

Edited by BlueJ
image inverted before

Beautiful pens, @BlueJ! It was a 1930s Senior Duofold in the same colorway that was the Pen I Couldn’t Have because I was a teenager with no money.  When I went to pick out my Centennial a couple years later, Pearl wasn’t available at the store and the Blue turned my head.