What was your last very deliberate pen purchase?

Misfit

Oh, hey @amberleadavis, you were so right on that pen that you suggested was a Sherpa Sharpie cover. I looked at the blog post again, and Sherpa Sharpie was mentioned. I had no idea at the time there were such convincing pen covers for Sharpies.  

Posted Image

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• AmandaW

• amberleadavis

17 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Oh, hey @amberleadavis, you were so right on that pen that you suggested was a Sherpa Sharpie cover. I looked at the blog post again, and Sherpa Sharpie was mentioned. I had no idea at the time there were such convincing pen covers for Sharpies.  

WOO HOO I was right!!!  Hooray!  I have one that is the craps table - I use it over a Pilot V-10.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

WOO HOO I was right!!!  Hooray!  I have one that is the craps table - I use it over a Pilot V-10.

I wish I had a prize for you. Amberlea rocks!  Amberlea! Amberlea!  Woo hoo!!!

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 10:57 AM, Arkanabar said:

According to his page there, he may return come May 29.

YC Guo's store is open again... so I've re-ordered the 565s that were cancelled / refunded due to their lockdown. And, in keeping with the thread topic, added a Wing Sung 601A with the vacuum filler and the wrap around nib, which made the order 4x what it was. Deliberately.

What's that kind of nib called? It looks pretty cool.

WS601a.jpg.6a215599b3b9f863936c56aab05e6a14.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I looked at Karas Kustoms emails. At their website I checked out the Bottom Shelf offerings.  There I saw the Monster Green Decograph special release on sale. The nib selections included stub nibs. I put it in the cart, successfully added a coupon code, then went to bed.   The last pen I texted to my brother about, he suggested sleeping on it. That was my plan for this pen. 

After sleeping, doing all the things for my Mom and self, I checked the website.  The pen was still in my cart. I did something else.  When I got my phone to look at the website again, I decided to buy it. 

Posted Image

A Diplomat Excellence A2 Skyline in red, to go with the blue one I bought a few months ago. Once I saw how pretty the guilloche under the blue lacquer was, I knew I needed to add the red one to my collection as well. (Permission granted under the exceptions rule of special editions ;) )

The timing was a little impulsive, as I had first decided to wait a bit longer, but while planning which (now increasingly expensive) missing modern/new models to add to my collection when, that shiny red just kept pushing its way to the top of the list. So, I gave in, got lucky with a 15% discount code, and ordered myself one today before they finally sell out in all shops.

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, Misfit said:

There is a fun thread on your last impulsive pen purchase. Sometimes, though, a pen purchase is a very deliberate process. You search and search, looking for the best price, or the nib you must have. A model is discontinued, but you have to have it. You search, maybe wait a year or more. I did that for a True Writer in Sea Glass, the version before they came out with it again. 

What prompts this thread is my search for a Monteverde Mountains of the World (MOTW) K2. It came out in 2015. I’ve looked for it before, unsuccessfully. Last week I found it on a website based in India. I sent an email to ask if K2 was in stock, and did they ship to the US. Later I saw on their website they did not ship outside of India. 

The reply indicated they did indeed have the pen, and more nibs than their website showed. The person also said that while they did not ship to the US, one of his trade partners did. So far I’ve been asked to indicate the pen with nib choice I want, plus address to determine shipping.  I decided to ask if I could get two quotes, with one including the Fuji version as well. He even sent photos of the pen and it’s nib. And they have stub nibs!

I’m waiting on the email reply with the price with shipping quotes. 

Another deliberate purchase I’ve made involved ordering a custom pen from Edison Pens through email. That was in 2021. 

I bought 2 Faber Castell Ondoro Pens After a few years of deliberating. I just found out they are discontinued now, so no time to waste anymore. I've always liked their design and their nibs are 90% good out of the box, something I cannot say about Pelikan (my second favourite brand, after GvFC), at least for me half of them were badly "tuned" out of the box, some even unuseable (I'm looking at you m805 ocean swirl)

large.2022-07-27_00069.jpg.bc5bd97e9e9a814d9d566a190aab475c.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I shouldn't even be looking sideways at more pens but after years and years of waiting for a price drop... Finally managed to snag a 912 WA; it will take some time to get to me.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Congratulations @senzen  I’m waiting to see if a pen sold on an English website will drop in price. It’s moved a little, but not much. It’s a Fine Writing International Jupiter pen. 

Posted Image

I went ahead and bought the FWI Jupiter pen. I’m considering it my pay for caregiving for August, September and October. 

I figured my time a month was worth whatever price hit free shipping at Jet Pens. 

I looked for the pen, checked £ to $ conversion rates, didn’t buy it.  Checked the seller website, checked conversion rates, didn’t buy it. Did that four or more times. I missed the best rate by a couple dollars. Then I found out I had to accept PayPal’s conversion rate, which means none I’ve looked at mattered. 

Posted Image

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

I went ahead and bought the FWI Jupiter pen. I’m considering it my pay for caregiving for August, September and October. 

I figured my time a month was worth whatever price hit free shipping at Jet Pens. 

I looked for the pen, checked £ to $ conversion rates, didn’t buy it.  Checked the seller website, checked conversion rates, didn’t buy it. Did that four or more times. I missed the best rate by a couple dollars. Then I found out I had to accept PayPal’s conversion rate, which means none I’ve looked at mattered. 

You are worth more. The pen looks awesome.

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

You are worth more. The pen looks awesome.

Thank you. I thought about mentioning that. My initial thought was to order something every month to have it to look forward to. I’ve used it on two pens spread over months instead. 

Posted Image

Thanks to @Bo Bo Olson who is also an enabler.

An Osmia BBL - I think a #53 with a BBL nib (perhaps he will tell us more?)

large.2022-08-02_00073.jpg.7a6865cfb75ca402d5f7c8a0e7dc3c13.jpg

And an Australian made Sheaffer with flex!

large.2022-08-02_00079.jpg.7bd6c873df943ee88d436f6be5062f84.jpg

large.SingleShot0000.jpg.b53678a38fea4999737ab7dc457a32d2.jpg

Turns out I was too deliberate. An email from the seller indicated they are out of stub nibs. 😱

They listed alternative nibs, or a refund. I chose a B nib. I have a spare #6 1.1mm stub nib I got from Anderson Pens. I was going to put it on my Jinhao x750 Shimmering Sands, but if it would work on the FWI Jupiter pen, maybe it will get that nib. 

Posted Image

31 minutes ago, Misfit said:

@amberleadavis Those are attractive pens. Will you be showing their writing somewhere here?

Here is the first one.

58 minutes ago, Misfit said:

@amberleadavis Those are attractive pens. Will you be showing their writing somewhere here?

Here is the second one.