What was your last very deliberate pen purchase?

Misfit

1 minute ago, Fo0zle said:

Yeah, Makrolon. I like the look of the stainless one but the price is quite steep. I think the best of both worlds would be to buy a stainless cap and put it on my Makrolon 2K. I might do that some day.

I couldn’t remember how to spell makrolon, so thank you for that. 

Posted Image

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• AmandaW

• amberleadavis

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I couldn’t remember how to spell makrolon, so thank you for that. 

Just realized it looks like I was correcting your spelling. TBH I didn’t notice you had it misspelled 😆

@Fo0zle I didn’t take it that way. I looked it up after your post. Should have done it before. 😉

Posted Image

It took awhile to find the right one (or one of them, as I would like a few finishes), but I was offered a black matte Sheaffer Slim Targa B (1003s) with converter for an excellent price. I wasn’t planning on buying anything for a month, but I have been looking for this one for years. I kept finding the later versions without the inlaid nib, or the steel nibbed ones.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Thanks, @Misfit!

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

On 4/18/2024 at 3:43 PM, Fo0zle said:

Yeah, Makrolon. I like the look of the stainless one but the price is quite steep. I think the best of both worlds would be to buy a stainless cap and put it on my Makrolon 2K. I might do that some day.

You may want to try the stainless one before buying it.  I also desired the clean, modern look of the stainless but found it to be so heavy that I couldn't imagine using it much.  It weighs around 54g unfilled (more than double the Makrolon's 25g).  As much as I used to like weighty pens, I find that my preferences seem to max out around 40g.

After losing my wonderful black AL Sport at Malaga airport in 2020 (I overlooked it in the black box at the security check), replaced by a light blue AL Sport (sold in the meantime), followed by a raw aluminium version, I finally purchased a black one again.

Why? Because the black one's surface has a unique touch to the fingers, that I found to be missing with the other ones.

Cheers & happy writing,

sebastian

There's no such thing as a last pen purchase.

Add lightness and simplicate.

1 minute ago, Karmachanic said:

i understand "last" here more in the sense of "most recent".

9 minutes ago, sebastel23 said:

i understand "last" here more in the sense of "most recent".

Beowulf was a bit much, but I managed Chaucer.

Add lightness and simplicate.

26 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

That is right! LOL

7 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

54 g, posted or unposted?

Posted.  According to Goulet’s site, the pen itself is 34g.  I guess that does make it reasonable (maybe even pleasant) but I personally prefer the 2000 posted.  Feels a little small to me unposted.

2 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Beowulf was a bit much, but I managed Chaucer.

i don't know either.

at school, i had to battle Gerhart Hauptmann, and Heinrich von Kleist instead.

as a result, I'd never consider to buy a pen wearing the name of one of these.

back to the topic: on my way to the (deliberately chosen) black AL sport, I also bought (on an impulse) the piston sport ...

@sebastel23 interesting about the black AL Sport. I’ve been on a Kaweco buying spree since discovering I wished I’d chased their limited edition colors instead of Lamy. I was looking at the rose gold AL. Maybe I’ll change to the black AL. I do like a stealth black pen. 

Posted Image

I just bought my birthday pen, it’s going in my husband’s office until my actual birthday. I bought it now because you never know with vintage pens. @terim had a beautiful Parker True Blue vest pen at her shop, and a True Blue has been a grail since I was a kid. I absolutely adore ring tops, and Duofolds are the pens of my heart. 

A Visconti Didgeridoo.  A limited edition for the Australian market that I’d been thinking about it for a while and was able to find very little information on it.  That mystery made me want it even more.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:56 AM, sebastel23 said:

i don't know either.

at school, i had to battle Gerhart Hauptmann, and Heinrich von Kleist instead.

as a result, I'd never consider to buy a pen wearing the name of one of these.

back to the topic: on my way to the (deliberately chosen) black AL sport, I also bought (on an impulse) the piston sport ...

I cant help but comment. I find Hauptmann's Ketzer von Soanna one of the best things I've ever read, and I've read it more than once. Hopefully not too weird or pretentious. I just love the story.

I was thinking about a Kaweco Sport AL in rose gold as a next purchase. If I recall correctly, Amazon used to have it at a really decent price. But now, not so much.  After seeing @sebastel23post about getting another Sport AL in black, and mentioning the feel of the pen, the hunt changed to the AL Black. The search for it started. I was thinking about one on Amazon that rewards money would help on. Then I saw one on eBay for less. However the seller was on vacation. The wait began.  Today, their eBay store reopened, and I purchased a Kaweco Sport AL in black with M nib for $49 before tax. Happy May Day. 

Posted Image