What was your last very deliberate pen purchase?

Misfit

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• AmandaW

• amberleadavis

I’ve decided I’m going to return the True Writer in Americana. I look at it, and am underwhelmed. I’ve like every other True Writer I bought or received as a gift. This one just lacks what I expected it to have. That the light would play with the colors. It only plays with the blue in the pen. Otherwise I look at it, and feel meh. So it needs to go back. I never put ink in it.

Posted Image

I deliberated for about 6 weeks on whether I should buy this pen, but I had coins and it was a good deal- so I bought a clear Wing Sung 698 with a Lucky 14k nib. I’ve read very good things about the nib on this pen.

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

• 3 weeks later...

Namiki Tradition Origami Penguin F nib, after what seems like forever, a grail pen because penguin.

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

I just looked that pen up online to see what it looked like and it's really interesting looking.  But I'm guessing an urushi finish, and urushi and I don't get along (urushiol oil being the same stuff that's in poison ivy, and I'm super allergic.... :(

Maki-e pens I admire from a distance....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I just looked that pen up online to see what it looked like and it's really interesting looking.  But I'm guessing an urushi finish, and urushi and I don't get along (urushiol oil being the same stuff that's in poison ivy, and I'm super allergic.... :(

Maki-e pens I admire from a distance....

Yes, it’s Urushi-  on the bright side, your allergy probably saves you thousands!

True.  I once found a website that had a bunch of really beautiful maki-e pens for sale.  And told my husband, "Congratulations -- I just saved you twenty THOUSAND dollars...."  And that price was for just ONE of the pens on that site.... :yikes:  So imagine what the bill would be for buying several of those pens.  

The really scary part?  Just ONE of those pens was more than double what I paid for my first *car* (bought brand new from the dealership).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Pelikan 200 Pastel blue.

and any pens/pen lots I win at a live auction.

Last a MB 32 semi-flex eyeballed OEF (Nibs were narrower back then, and MB seldom marked nib width)  and a Kaweco '60-70, 12G semi-flex F, piston Sport.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 9/21/2023 at 11:27 PM, jchch1950 said:

The price increase is too much to be explained by a technical change to make parts in bronze.

I think (take this for what it is worth, it is based on something a youtube commentator said) that the usual chrome-colored furniture has a different process from the plating that is required for rose gold and bronze, and that they had some trouble originally with the rose gold plating, which has apparently been resolved. I'm guessing it is more steps or something like that. 

• 1 month later...

I put some very pretty Christmas washi tape in my Amazon cart. I knew if none of my friends got it for me for Christmas, I’d be ordering the Kaweco Sport skyline in pebble gray. So today I did order the pen and washi tape. 

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I’ve been wanting the TWSBI Eco that got away, the Cement Gray. I saw, possibly here or on Reddit, that AliExpress had it. It’s been in my cart for awhile. The price is about $10 more, so I didn’t buy it before. When checking out with PayPal, it showed the rewards money, so I applied that, and it’s about what you’d pay for an Eco with tax. The pen looks like the real deal, so I’m hoping it is. 

Posted Image

Not won, but bought...Perhaps my last LE 200 Blue Pastel.. My first one an amethyst was €40 more expensive than a regular 200 at €120.....I think it was that, a long time ago.

I have the amethyst, which is a bit more transparent than the Ruby one.

I don't need any more transparent pens.

The LE 200 Pastel cost me €160...6v0utmE.jpgso the next 200 LE I buy is going to have to match the  UpB43h6.jpgor theDSPqv6F.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The LE pastel is a gorgeous pen that looks like a classic doctor/nurse pen. Congratulations.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 1 month later...

I just placed an order for fifty-two Jinhao 777 fountain pens and two hundred compatible blue ink cartridges, to take advantage of the opportunity I saw for stacking multiple offers from sellers and AliExpress itself. Very deliberate and not impulsive at all!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

A TWSBI Diamond Mini AL in silver with a 1.1mm stub nib. I’ve been thinking about that pen once I decided against the clear version, and the grape version. I liked a photo of lined paper reflecting on the silver grip. It’s now ordered using my Pen Chalet ink drop rewards. 

Posted Image

a 400nn tortoise.

19 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

400nn tortoise

A wonderful pen! Congrats!