EFNIR: Private Reserve Infinity Blue

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Private Reserve Infinity Blue

This is review #174 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was quick and easy.  This is a fairly ordinary blue blue (no green or purple lean). It's a little more muted than most "stock blue" inks, but not much. The absorbent and copy paper make the color seem too bright. On those papers, it's darker, more muted, and a little chalky-looking. The zoom is pretty close, text might need to be a little darker in color. The scan isn't too far off. The screen capture has the text too dark and un-saturated.

It's a good puzzle ink - if you forget to cap your pen while trying to figure out a clue, it's no problem. :D

The line width measurement is one of the lines used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 300µm. (For the curious, with 174 inks measured, the average line width is 292µm.)

The microscope smear was boring, so I left it out.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.PrivateReserveInfinityBlue.jpg.4ad589ff38838efb8537ee4a16fb96fb.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.PrivateReserveInfinityBlueS.jpg.adea939d3442a1040a6040384d6c52b1.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.PrivateReserveInfinityBlueZ.jpg.61317c86a517ebcd1288f62af902a5c7.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.PrivateReserveInfinityBlueAP.jpg.b54eebc3658d577fe663fe3d35725c9a.jpg

Line width measured via microscope at 100x:
large.PrivateReserveInfinityBlueLW.jpg.7c3e53ffb4abc4ffcce876d268b9b66a.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Previous Review: Colorverse Ham #65.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• InesF

• yazeh

• txomsy

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job @LizEF:thumbup:

The zoom looks ballpoint-y, the scan looks like a decent blue-black on my screen. Which is closer? 

Slightly more interesting than ballpoint ink?! 😛add insult to injury ;)

Maybe Quin needed that to squirt on Viney the pendant goat(ee) :D

Nice blue. Thanks for the review. I'll have to keep it in mind for the next time I hunt for blues.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

5 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great job @LizEF:thumbup:

Thanks! :)

7 minutes ago, yazeh said:

The zoom looks ballpoint-y, the scan looks like a decent blue-black on my screen. Which is closer? 

It's a little darker and brighter (in the sense of a deeper, more saturated color) than the zoom, but is not at all blue-black - it's awfully close to ballpoint-y / rollerball-y.

8 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Slightly more interesting than ballpoint ink?! 😛add insult to injury ;)

:) I'm afraid that's about the best I could do for the color...

9 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Maybe Quin needed that to squirt on Viney the pendant goat(ee) :D

:lol: Apparently he needed something, and now he needs something more parachute-like!

8 minutes ago, txomsy said:

Nice blue. Thanks for the review. I'll have to keep it in mind for the next time I hunt for blues.

You're very welcome!  If you like these ordinary blues, and want the extended-cap-off time, it's a good pick.

Oooo….this ink looked shady and slinky in the scan and video.  That would make me want it.  But when I saw you write 45 seconds, my heart sank.

Falling!  O noz!  Reminds me of both Alice In Wonderland, and Labyrinth.

Thanks for another fun review and cliffhanger.  👍🏻

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

27 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Oooo….this ink looked shady and slinky in the scan and video.  That would make me want it.  But when I saw you write 45 seconds, my heart sank.

:( Sorry.  I assume it's the "extended cap off" feature that causes the long dry time.

28 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Falling!  O noz!  Reminds me of both Alice In Wonderland, and Labyrinth.

Thanks for another fun review and cliffhanger.  👍🏻

:D You're most welcome!

Is it my imagination or can I feel a literal straining to even say "slightly more interesting?" 🙂 

Just now, arcfide said:

Is it my imagination or can I feel a literal straining to even say "slightly more interesting?" 🙂 

:lol: No, if only for the shading, it is slightly more interesting - it's just that the color bores me to tears, so I suppose I'm begrudging it its interestingness...  Which is unfair - even the base color, without the shading, is a bit brighter and more interesting than the average ballpoint.

Thank you, @LizEF for the review and for the new action in the storyline!

I'm fully with you about "neutral" blue inks and their inability to cause colour excitement. I would not use it in daily routine and I can easily refuse to buy a bottle. However, the microscopy image is excitingly interesting. Despite looking saturated, the ink gathers in the spaces between the paper fibres, resulting in bigger pale areas of the inked surface.

Great! You have a new groupie, waiting impatiently for the next microscopy image! :drool:

One life!

On 4/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, LizEF said:

:( Sorry.  I assume it's the "extended cap off" feature that causes the long dry time.

That seems very likely.

I think I could live with kinda long-ish drying times - as long as it doesn't smudge after it has fully dried (it doesn't, right?)

The color doesn't wow me, but it's not ugly either. Similar is probably true for the other 5 inks from this line - I suppose they are all rather basic, standard colors (personally my first choice would probably be the turquoise one).

I wonder if they could be mixed with each other without losing their special property 🤔

Thanks for the review 🙂🌸

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @LizEF for the review and for the new action in the storyline!

You're very welcome! :)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

However, the microscopy image is excitingly interesting. Despite looking saturated, the ink gathers in the spaces between the paper fibres, resulting in bigger pale areas of the inked surface.

Great! You have a new groupie, waiting impatiently for the next microscopy image! :drool:

:lol: Glad you are enjoying the microscopy.

3 hours ago, Licue said:

I think I could live with kinda long-ish drying times - as long as it doesn't smudge after it has fully dried (it doesn't, right?)

I never experienced that.  Whether that's my own habits, it's hard to say, but going back now and rubbing my finger of the entry in my ink log (52gsm Tomoe River), nothing moves, so I think it's safe to say it stays put.

3 hours ago, Licue said:

The color doesn't wow me, but it's not ugly either. Similar is probably true for the other 5 inks from this line - I suppose they are all rather basic, standard colors (personally my first choice would probably be the turquoise one).

That was my thought as well - very ordinary colors.

3 hours ago, Licue said:

I wonder if they could be mixed with each other without losing their special property 🤔

I suspect they could.  Whether PR tested that, or intended it, I doubt there's anything that would cause problems.  Maybe I'll try that after I've reviewed them all - perhaps the red and green will make a nice brown, and the blue and black will make a nice blue-black. :D

3 hours ago, Licue said:

Thanks for the review 🙂🌸

:) You're very welcome!

12 hours ago, InesF said:

Wait until you see the smear for Monteverde Moonstone (#178)!  Holy cool stuff, Batman!  I may not be able to wait until the review publishes (Tuesday, 26 April 2022).  It's the most amazing thing I've seen yet!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 11:46 PM, LizEF said:

Wait until you see the smear for Monteverde Moonstone (#178)! 

For a moment, for a short moment, I thought to having missed one of your reviews. 😥

Puh, #178 is still to come ... 😊

One life!

8 hours ago, InesF said:

Puh, #178 is still to come ... 😊

Yes, that was a teaser.  Less than a week away, now! :D