Hello! New to FPN but used FP for 5 years.

InkyKitten

Hello everyone.

I'm new to FPN but I have used FP starting around 5 years ago.

My first was a Pilot Kakuno white and purple many years back, and when I decided to really get into FP I got a Pilot Kakuno clear.

I still love them, as I think they are the finest writing pens ever (I have them in EF). It's like writing with a needle!

My preferred size is EF. I made the mistake of buying a TWISBI M when I was a beginner, and while it might be my favourite pen, I can't wait until I buy an EF nib for it. I have also made the mistake of buying EF Viscontis which was a pricey error, as they write so wet that I can't use them. One day I'll take them to get tuned.

I have tiny handwriting, so that's why I love EF.

My current favourite pens are my TWISBI and my LAMY Al-Star.

My favourite colours are blue and purple.

I own hundreds of inks samples and almost no full bottles - i love different inks. 

I probably don't have a favourite ink because I love so many of them.

I also love sheen and shading, but not shimmer, as it has clogged up a few pens and caused me lots of trouble.

I love the cult pens exclusive diamine inks, due to the wonderful sheen.

I love cats a lot, and my dog as well.I also love all types of arts and crafts, including scrapbooking and doodling. One day I hope to be good at drawing.

I love all Japanese stationery, and I use a Japanese Planner to stay organized, it is called Jibun Techno. I use a frixion erasable pen in it, much to the dissapointment of my poor fountain pens. I also love Japanese pens including my Platinum Snowflake pen.

I don't know any one who likes FP. My family members have a few old ones, but no one is interested in them. I have never met anyone IRL who likes FP, which is kind of sad. I wish more people used them.

Anyways, I'm not sure what else to say about myself...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• InkyKitten

• Detman101

• debraji

Awesome! Welcome to FPN!! :)
Thanks for the kewl info on Kakuunos and Visconti's...both pens I once day wanted to purchase.
I'll stick with picking up a Kakuuno and leave the Visconti off the list hehe...I can't stand gushy pens (I'm addicted to shading).

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

1 minute ago, Detman101 said:

Awesome! Welcome to FPN!! :)
Thanks for the kewl info on Kakuunos and Visconti's...both pens I once day wanted to purchase.
I'll stick with picking up a Kakuuno and leave the Visconti off the list hehe...I can't stand gushy pens (I'm addicted to shading).

It might just be me, so of course see other reviews, but for me Kakunos are very dry writers (not scratchy though) and Visconti are very wet writers, to the point that even good paper may not help prevent bleedthrough. On Tomoe River or Cream Rhodia they are super smooth, but may take a very long time to try (I had to use real blotting papers!) Mine are also difficult to clean, so I don't use them anymore. Some shimmer also got trapped in the top of one of them, and they use the vac system, which can be very messy.

large.FPN_Welcome.jpeg.06a98836a6514f196d41cc8b2895ec9f.jpeg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hi, my usual nib size is EF, with occasional forays with stub and oblique nibs for the lovely line variation. I, too, like Al-Stars, and have a pair of TWSBI Eco's--but my true love is reserved for Pelikans. Modern, gold-nibbed Pelikans tend to be really wet writers, so I often pair them with "dryer" writing inks. But a vintage Pelikan 400NN with a semi-flex nib is a thing of beauty.

I haven't tried the Jibun Techo--I'm a Hobonichi user. If I'm not using my fountain pens in it, I'll pull out my colorful Pilot Hi-Tec C pens. (I know, blasphemy, right?) When you use the Frixon, do you have to erase with the Frixon eraser, or can you use any eraser? 

Anyway, welcome to the FPN! You might like the Paper and Pen Paraphernalia Forum--there's a long-running discussion called "I'm a sad, pathetic, stationery junkie" that you might enjoy...

large.InkySeas.jpg.9e55d2f1eb4ae5d24f29c5b9459aa60d.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

IF you PM with your address, I'll send you a letter.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

9 hours ago, debraji said:

I haven't tried the Jibun Techo--I'm a Hobonichi user. If I'm not using my fountain pens in it, I'll pull out my colorful Pilot Hi-Tec C pens. (I know, blasphemy, right?) When you use the Frixon, do you have to erase with the Frixon eraser, or can you use any eraser? 

I have been using Hobonichi for a few years and I love them. Their paper is such a pleasure to write in, and they have the cutest cover. But this year I have decided to try out the Jibun Techno. I also bought the lace cover weeks, but sadly have not written much in it as I mostly use the Jibun.

For Frixion pen, you just turn them over and rub with the other end, it's like a hard rubber. You could try using another eraser, if you rub hard enough (to generate a high temperature or frixion) it could work, but it will probably take longer. If you had a frixion pens you would never need a different eraser, as its right there on the end! Also, you could use a lighter/match/hairdryer to erase the ink if you really wanted to.

9 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

IF you PM with your address, I'll send you a letter.

That's very kind of you, but I don't live in the US or Europe and mailing stuff to my country is very difficult.

5 minutes ago, InkyKitten said:

That's very kind of you, but I don't live in the US or Europe and mailing stuff to my country is very difficult.

No problem!  Stay safe.

4 hours ago, InkyKitten said:

For Frixion pen, you just turn them over and rub with the other end, it's like a hard rubber. You could try using another eraser, if you rub hard enough (to generate a high temperature or frixion) it could work, but it will probably take longer. If you had a frixion pens you would never need a different eraser, as its right there on the end! Also, you could use a lighter/match/hairdryer to erase the ink if you really wanted to.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

On 3/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, InkyKitten said:

It might just be me, so of course see other reviews, but for me Kakunos are very dry writers (not scratchy though) and Visconti are very wet writers, to the point that even good paper may not help prevent bleedthrough. On Tomoe River or Cream Rhodia they are super smooth, but may take a very long time to try (I had to use real blotting papers!) Mine are also difficult to clean, so I don't use them anymore. Some shimmer also got trapped in the top of one of them, and they use the vac system, which can be very messy.

Oh that's still workable for me. I'm a huge fan of "Shading" so dry writers are great for me with wet inks.
:)
But yes, I'll definitely be staying away from Visconti pens.
Though that collectable "Wall Street" pen is soooo sexy....

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

21 hours ago, Detman101 said:

Oh that's still workable for me. I'm a huge fan of "Shading" so dry writers are great for me with wet inks.
:)
But yes, I'll definitely be staying away from Visconti pens.
Though that collectable "Wall Street" pen is soooo sexy....

Yep, their pens are visually stunning, that's how I ended up with mine! 

I just wish they made either finer nibs or drier pens, because in their current state they are very difficult to use. Also they are really, really heavy.

23 hours ago, InkyKitten said:

Yep, their pens are visually stunning, that's how I ended up with mine! 

I just wish they made either finer nibs or drier pens, because in their current state they are very difficult to use. Also they are really, really heavy.

Hmmm...I wonder...are their nib units JOWO-Compatible? Because if I can remove the nib and replace it, I can dry the pen out easily.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On 3/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, InkyKitten said:

I don't know any one who likes FP. My family members have a few old ones, but no one is interested in them. I have never met anyone IRL who likes FP, which is kind of sad. I wish more people used them.

I know that pain! Perhaps most (all?) of us do. My family also doesn't understand what's to love about fountain pens when getting a free Bic rollerball from a bank or insurance agent can also make lines on paper. They're not wrong but they're just not right!

I've only run into one FP friend "in the wild", after I noticed him using a Pilot Metro at work. Not surprisingly, we both geeked out for a few months.

Have you ever had people seem intimidated by fountain pens? I've never paid more than $25 for a pen so I don't mind offering people an opportunity to try mine, if they notice/comment on my choice of pen. Admittedly, $25 is expensive compared to the more common office supply pen but most people have refused my offer. A former acquaintance of mine loves orange, so I filled up an orange Lamy Safari knockoff that I wasn't using with Noodler's Apache Sunset and gave it to him. When I placed it on the table for him to take, he looked petrified and refused to pick it up. Instead, he pushed it back to me with a fingertip. He said he was afraid that he'd break it.

You mentioned that you appreciate EF nibs. Have you tried a Pilot Metro F? or a Zebra G nib? I appreciate the former for every day notes and the latter as a dip pen that is both very fine and very fun.

I'm also a long-timer lurker and recent member. I welcome you and Elmer says meow!