Lamy 2k Makralon scratches NIB normal?

NyquistRate

Hello.  I'm a newb to the site.  I've owned a few fountain pens but consider myself a novice.  I searched around but didn't find quite the same questions as I have.  I recently bought two copies of the 2K in black (Makralon).  Both came with scratches on the side laying against the packaging, despite being wrapped in plastic.  Is this normal?  Will the scratches go away?

IMG_20220227_185740.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• irrigger

• InkyColors

• NyquistRate

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to FPN.

6 hours ago, NyquistRate said:

Both came with scratches on the side laying against the packaging, despite being wrapped in plastic.  Is this normal?

I can't see any scratches in your photo, sorry.

On the off chance you mean this line of demarcation between the barrel and the piston knob:

large.981866473_DemarcationbetweenbarrelandpistonknobonaLamy2000.png.5f5c70aa0f44ced92c3ab7d40188da7b.png

that is perfectly normal; every Lamy 2000 pen has one.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

21 minutes ago, irrigger said:

The "scratches" are part of the finish as the pen has brushed finish from factory.

Ha! It completely escaped me someone might think the brushed finish that is part of the design, purported to add value to the object aesthetically, are just scratches (that don't belong there and aren't expected).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 hours ago, NyquistRate said:

Both came with scratches on the side laying against the packaging

Sounds like the scratches are just on one side of the pen. 

18 hours ago, NyquistRate said:

Both came with scratches on the side laying against the packaging, despite being wrapped in plastic.  Is this normal?  Will the scratches go away?

Would you be able to take a pic of the scratches so we can see?

Maybe you are referring to the lighter gray areas on the cap and body? If so, that's what the brushed finish looks like when it's brand new and kind of "dry." Once you use the pen for a couple of days, it will "polish" out by rubbing on your pen sleeve, etc. and it will absorb some of the oils from your skin. It will look exactly like you expect by the time you need to refill it.