Inky T O D - what is an ink that you have never tried, but you could be convinced to try or buy?

amberleadavis

38 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

I had a comparison of KWZI IG Greens but I've lost the image.  I adore these inks and you are supporting an independent ink maker.

I have a bottle of KWZ Thief's Red, quite pleased with it, should make it my standard red.

I like reds and pinks, oranges and yellows, and violet on occasion.  Is there a pastel IG ink?  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Audrey T

• Misfit

• inkstainedruth

22 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Tell us the ink and let us convince you

Um ... De Atramentis's Salami? I hear you are not a fan, but try it, and get back to me.

5 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I hope you can see the sheen.

Thank you. Yes, I can. However, I have several bottles of Diamine Jalur Gemilang that looks kinda like the ink you're showing me; and even though DJG is also a product available from a single (overseas) retail source only, the offer of free international shipping by FedEx (for orders over a transaction value threshold that's far from trivial) made it less painful or off-putting to acquire.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

22 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Taccia Hokusai inks

This isn't one in the Hokusai line, but it is in another of the Taccia Ukiyo-e artist lines:  Sharaku [Tōshūsai] Koiame is a gorgeous burnt orange. If you like that color range, you might want to order a sample to see if you think it would be worth it.

22 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Ferris Wheel Press

I haven't ever bought one of their bottles (thank you, @A Smug Dill, for warding me off any temptation!), but I haven't been at all impressed with most of their inks. Some of the darker inks are OK, but the light ones are too light and indeterminate. I don't find them interesting.

6 hours ago, OCArt said:

I know this was an autocorrect change but I had a good laugh! 😁

That Toaster guy does some excellent work; you should definitely try his inks. 😉

9 hours ago, katerchen said:

KWZ without question. I keep reading good things about the brand but somehow never got around to buy a few bottles. 

I really like KWZ, including the Grey Lux that @LizEF reviewed earlier today.

10 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Vinta inks. Sounds like the sort of brand I would only want to try because of some awesome sheening properties, but those are usually accompanied by long drying times and aptness to smudge even after drying.

A lot of Vinta's inks are really interesting. Lots of dichromatic possibilities. Some are far too pale to use in writing, but they would be gorgeous in art. And many of the darker ones a beautiful sheen, as you say. I'll have to attend to whether they smear easily; so far I haven't encountered a problem. Some, I've used for letter writing, but a few I've just sampled and made brief notes about, so I may not have given full scope to their smearing potential.

5 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

I have a bottle of KWZ Thief's Red, quite pleased with it, should make it my standard red.

I like reds and pinks, oranges and yellows, and violet on occasion.  Is there a pastel IG ink?  

When my office was burglarized, the thief took the bottle of Thief's Red and Faber Castell Moss Green. The thief ended up leaving Thief's Red.

I don't think you can have a pastel IG ink since it has iron which turns t\dark.

3 hours ago, Audrey T said:

Um ... De Atramentis's Salami? I hear you are not a fan, but try it, and get back to me.

UH???  Haven't heard of that one or smelled it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

7 hours ago, askwyatt said:

I think I could be convinced to try a sample of a lot of inks.

I'm awaiting some Ferris Wheel Press samples and some Van Dieman's samples that should arrive tomorrow. 

That thread on Colorverse Sunspot yesterday was amazing. 

But really, I often see a love of lovely photos about a lot of inks that are quite fantastic, but probably won't ever be the kind of thing I get out of those inks because I don't use them that way. Or I'm not willing to spend the money on the paper to do the same kinds of things. 

Even so, I'm willing to try quite a bit of inks. 

Oh wait, let me try to persuade you to enjoy some papers!  If you PM me with your name and address, I'll send you a letter with some cool  papers.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

10 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

When my office was burglarized, the thief took the bottle of Thief's Red and Faber Castell Moss Green. The thief ended up leaving Thief's Red.

I don't think you can have a pastel IG ink since it has iron which turns t\dark.

UH???  Haven't heard of that one or smelled it.

Oh, sorry -- I confused you with @inkstainedruth -- we had a brief exchange about it yesterday. My apologies to both of you -- still getting to know folks!

On 1/28/2022 at 8:47 PM, amberleadavis said:

Akkerman is that expensive when you are in the EU?  Dang.

Well, not prohibitively expensive, but 'rather' expensive still, as in about € 15 per bottle plus as much in shipping.
If I bought 3 bottles it might be worth it, but still... <sigh>

On 1/28/2022 at 9:34 PM, OCArt said:

I know this was an autocorrect change but I had a good laugh! 😁

Nah, OCArt, this was deliberately making it wrong, to make fun of the name
:D
Y'know, in several videos, it's been claimed that Oster should be pronounced so it rhymes with toaster - not a big leap to make the name Toaster then...
;)

I've given thought to purchasing J. Herbin Perle Noire, in place of or in addition to Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black.  But I'd have to have a lot less black ink than I do now before I get any.

I'm not super adventurous with ink, after all.  The whole point of The Essential Inks was to eliminate all the inks I didn't want.  I'll try what inks people give me, but in my current mode of life, I have a hard time buying inks (or anything else) that I suspect won't use.

9 hours ago, Daneaxe said:

not a big leap to make the name Toaster then...

I saw that, wondered and thought it fun. We call the brand Robo Toaster... :D

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Well given the controversy I've heard about whether it's pronounced Dye-a-meen or Dye-a-mine, I'm not surprised now at whether it's pronounced Ah-stir or Oh-stir....  (In my brain I always think of the latter pronunciation for brands, for some reason.)

Oh well, it could be worse.  A friend of mine had something she was writing to me (don't remember now if it was email or on FB) autocorrect to "Bacon" so then was laughing about what my Bacon number was (as in "how many degrees of separation I am from Kevin Bacon).  I don't know the answer to that, but I I think I'm three or four degrees from the Pope (it wasn't until John Paul II died and they were having the Papal election to name his successor that I realized that I was 3 degrees from whoever was chosen -- because I was TWO degrees from John Paul II (because of a guy I used to know years ago -- and boy was Walter surprised when his co-workers said "Hey, they just named one of your guys Pope!"  (Apparently years ago, he'd been on a trip to Rome and when he was at the Vatican met some Polish priest, who said "Oh, your father is from the old country?  Come have lunch!")  And I think I was maybe 2 degrees from Pope Paul VI (because of a neighbor of mine actually having a private visitation).

And I'm 2 degrees from Ted Nugent, apparently, thanks to someone I know slightly.  And THREE from Bruce Springsteen (one of my best friends in college is from the same town in NJ, and his mom and Bruce Springsteen's mom were in the League of Women Voters for that area, and I met Jim's parents at Commencement...).  Probably also 2 degrees from some other rockers, because my brother used to write articles and do interviews for Trouser Press Magazine.  One time someone called my parents' house in a complete panic (have no clue who it was, though -- probably someone who was a punk rocker because that's what my brother liked back then) because the person was supposed to be meeting my brother for an interview and had screwed up on the location or time....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

So, @inkstainedruth, I know I encouraged you to try KTC, but is there a new ink you don't have?

There are some Robert Oster inks I haven't tried yet that look interesting.  I don't really need another red, but Cities of America New York looks interesting -- seems to have a bit of dark haloing on the edges of strokes.  And some of the "Mudpack" might be worth taking a look at (I like the look of Muddy Crown -- but worry that it will be a bit too light on the page).

There's also a few of this year's Diamine Inkvent line that have possibilities.  Of course I said that with last year's Invent Calendar -- but then when I saw them for sale at one of the tables at the Chicago Pen Show, I couldn't remember which ones from last year I was interested in, and the seller didn't have swabs. :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Okay, I've thought of a few....

What do ya'll think?

KWZI Sheen Machine and Discovery Green

Laban Purple and Red

Daimine Winter Spice, Tempest, Star Gazer

Monarca Rey Gaguar, Carona and Cenote

Lamy Azurite

Sailor 223, 943, 950