Inky T O D - what is an ink that you have never tried, but you could be convinced to try or buy?

amberleadavis

Perhaps that bottle is just that cool ... I'm looking at you Akkerman, Ferris Wheel and Colorverse ... or perhaps the price has put you off (Louis Vuitton) ... perhaps it is Unobtainium (PPS) ... perhaps it is a known bad boy (BSB) ... or maybe it is just difficult to acquire (Krishna or Monarca) or maybe you just haven't gotten around to it?

What ink have you never tried, but you could be convinced to try a sample or buy a bottle?

Tell us the ink and let us convince you.

Amber the Inky-En-Abler

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Audrey T

• Misfit

• inkstainedruth

Well, no comments so far..

@HalloweenHJB convinced me to try Krishna inks. They are lovely.

@Matthew TWP convince me to try those Monarca inks from Mexico.

@kestrel sent me some samples from Pure Pens and I'm enjoying them.

@Frank C convinced me to try some Fritz Schimpf inks and I am enjoying the red.

@webgeckos and @Sinistral1 are often leading me down the inky path.

So, tell me, what should I try?  Is the Ferris Wheel Press bottle really that cool?

I think that someone was telling me about a @kwzi ink in an amazing bottle.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I would nominate the Taccia Hokusai inks. I love Hokusai prints and have a book of them that whiles away many hours for me when unable to do much else. But, the inks... are a bit pricey, there are no samples here and, my biggest fear is that they might be dry. I really,really dislike dry inks that make otherwise great nibs feel horrible on the paper. I remember feeling the same about Stone Road of Gion until I read about that being very dry. So yes. it would take some very convincing words to get over those hurdles.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

30 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I would nominate the Taccia Hokusai inks. I love Hokusai prints and have a book of them that whiles away many hours for me when unable to do much else. But, the inks... are a bit pricey, there are no samples here and, my biggest fear is that they might be dry. I really,really dislike dry inks that make otherwise great nibs feel horrible on the paper. I remember feeling the same about Stone Road of Gion until I read about that being very dry. So yes. it would take some very convincing words to get over those hurdles.

I've held off on those too, because I hate dry inks.

Ohhh... This is a long list for me. What have you done, Amber?!?
:D

Like others have said, It'd take some convincing to try BSB - horror stories abound - perhaps giving me a pen just for that would work...
😉

Like Kenshin said, I admire the bottles of Akkerman, but they are *really* expensive plus shipping costs as much as a bottle.
😮
I have heard lots of good stuff about Robert Toaster ink, but could never imagine actually having a bottle of it in my hand, it's almost uninktainium, because of the diffculties in just *getting* it in my hand. AFAIK, no dealers in the EU sell them.
😕

@Slowroast convinced me to try a KWZ ink, the "Rotten Green" one (can't remember the correct Polish word), which was a nice experiment.
🙂
The list goes on & on - You could probably convince me to try almost any ink in the world - I'm more or less headed in the same direction as Amber, altho 10x the size of my collection is not even close to what "Lady Ink" herself has...
😛
Stay safe,
Daneaxe

12 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

So, tell me, what should I try?  Is the Ferris Wheel Press bottle really that cool?

I find the largely spherical 85ml bottles — or, should I say, the single one that I have (been given as a present) — impractical in actual use. It does not have an especially heavy base such that the bottle cannot topple over when you try to fill the pen you're holding in place through that tiny neck, and it is space-inefficient when it comes to being stored with other ink bottles.

13 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

What ink have you never tried, but you could be convinced to try a sample or buy a bottle?

I haven't tried any in the Sailor Ink Studio line, because they're just too expensive for my tastes, not that I haven't already spent thousands on >400 retail bottles of ink. I could be convinced if a retailer offered a discount and “the price is right”.

Collection Traced multi-hued inks. The bottom 40% of the large glass bottle is solid, thus making it too expensive and painful to arrange shipping to Australia independently of the seller if I tried to order any number of them on Taobao, so as to avoid the profiteering (by markup in some multiple of the domestic ‘street price’, and then still slapping a significant shipping charge on top) I see on AliExpress.

Sailor Manyo Nekoyanagi. I had the opportunity to order it (or any of the other colours in the first release of eight Manyo inks) at a ~35% discount from the list price, but I didn't take it at the time and missed the boat. I can't now bring myself to get a bottle at a mere 20% discount, especially when the light-coloured, multi-hued ink probably isn't one I can/would use for normal or everyday writing purposes.

Birmingham Inks. I'm not amenable to paying for international shipping from the single source in the US, full stop. If they were available from retailers such as La Couronne de Comte, Fontoplumo, and Cult Pens — all of which offer free international shipping past certain spend thresholds on a single order — I'd be happy to add them to my large enough orders for other products.

Vinta inks. Sounds like the sort of brand I would only want to try because of some awesome sheening properties, but those are usually accompanied by long drying times and aptness to smudge even after drying.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

KWZ without question. I keep reading good things about the brand but somehow never got around to buy a few bottles. 

Organics Studio Nitrogen: inky socks do not appeal to me in any way. 

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." Psalm 118:29

Akkerman # 10

Taccia Ukio-e Hiroshige

Heretic here.  I already have too many inks.  There'll be bottles lying around after I'm gone.

to add.  Diamine Registrars

Add lightness and simplicate.

4 hours ago, Mr5x5 said:

Bay State Blue - too many horror stories about stains though it looks nice

PXL_20220128_054608372.thumb.jpg.4c96ad6d7333da40af6157d96074e834.jpg

The closest ink you have ever seen is a blue sharpie.  I really like it.

4 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Akkerman, because bottles.  But it has to be gray or blue ink.

Oh wow, you do want to an Akkerman bottle! The inks is undoubtedly Diamine - @visvamitra did an analysis - but it is wonderful to use that bottle!

3 hours ago, Daneaxe said:

Ohhh... This is a long list for me. What have you done, Amber?!?
:D

Like others have said, It'd take some convincing to try BSB - horror stories abound - perhaps giving me a pen just for that would work...
😉

Like Kenshin said, I admire the bottles of Akkerman, but they are *really* expensive plus shipping costs as much as a bottle.
😮
I have heard lots of good stuff about Robert Toaster ink, but could never imagine actually having a bottle of it in my hand, it's almost uninktainium, because of the diffculties in just *getting* it in my hand. AFAIK, no dealers in the EU sell them.
😕

@Slowroast convinced me to try a KWZ ink, the "Rotten Green" one (can't remember the correct Polish word), which was a nice experiment.
🙂
The list goes on & on - You could probably convince me to try almost any ink in the world - I'm more or less headed in the same direction as Amber, altho 10x the size of my collection is not even close to what "Lady Ink" herself has...
😛
Stay safe,
Daneaxe

Akkerman is that expensive when you are in the EU?  Dang.

The Robert Oster inks are wonderful.

KWZI is made in Poland so that should not be too bad.  I love his inks.

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I find the largely spherical 85ml bottles — or, should I say, the single one that I have (been given as a present) — impractical in actual use. It does not have an especially heavy base such that the bottle cannot topple over when you try to fill the pen you're holding in place through that tiny neck, and it is space-inefficient when it comes to being stored with other ink bottles.

Birmingham Inks. I'm not amenable to paying for international shipping from the single source in the US, full stop. If they were available from retailers such as La Couronne de Comte, Fontoplumo, and Cult Pens — all of which offer free international shipping past certain spend thresholds on a single order — I'd be happy to add them to my large enough orders for other products.

I hope you can see the sheen.

PXL_20220128_194837845.jpg

PXL_20220128_194837845.jpg

PXL_20220128_195151217.jpg

2 hours ago, katerchen said:

KWZ without question. I keep reading good things about the brand but somehow never got around to buy a few bottles. 

1 hour ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Convince me to use Iron Gall ink.  

I had a comparison of KWZI IG Greens but I've lost the image.  I adore these inks and you are supporting an independent ink maker.

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

Akkerman # 10

Taccia Ukio-e Hiroshige

Heretic here.  I already have too many inks.  There'll be bottles lying around after I'm gone.

to add.  Diamine Registrars

Ooo you do like IG inks.  :)

4 hours ago, Daneaxe said:

[....snipped]

😮
I have heard lots of good stuff about Robert Toaster ink [snipped] 

I know this was an autocorrect change but I had a good laugh! 😁

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I think I could be convinced to try a sample of a lot of inks.

I'm awaiting some Ferris Wheel Press samples and some Van Dieman's samples that should arrive tomorrow. 

That thread on Colorverse Sunspot yesterday was amazing. 

But really, I often see a love of lovely photos about a lot of inks that are quite fantastic, but probably won't ever be the kind of thing I get out of those inks because I don't use them that way. Or I'm not willing to spend the money on the paper to do the same kinds of things. 

Even so, I'm willing to try quite a bit of inks.