Which pen(s) are you waiting for in the mail? 2022

A Smug Dill

On 5/15/2021 at 11:01 AM, A Smug Dill said:

I'm probably in for a long wait for the two Opus 88 pens and two Fine Writing International pens I also ordered (separately from the Pelikan products); but I understand they're special orders, since LCdC didn't (and doesn't) even list EF and Stub nibs as options for the Opus 88 models it carries in its product catalogue.

It looks like the second of the two Opus 88 pens I ordered in the first half of 2021 has finally shipped (or, more accurately, awaiting dispatch). Not that I've been officially notified (in email or otherwise) yet, for the fulfilment of that particular order; but when I go into my account on LCdC's website, I can see the item is now marked as Shipped, and the status of the order is now Complete.

Two more pens (not mentioned above) ordered in the first half of 2021 to go…

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Audrey T

• Paul-in-SF

• A Smug Dill

• brokenclay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

It looks like the second of the two Opus 88 pens I ordered in the first half of 2021 has finally shipped (or, more accurately, awaiting dispatch). Not that I've been officially notified (in email or otherwise) yet, for the fulfilment of that particular order; but when I go into my account on LCdC's website, I can see the item is now marked as Shipped, and the status of the order is now Complete.

Wow. That's a long time to have to wait. Which Opus 88s?

52 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

52 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

And which two Fine Writing International pens?

@Audrey T It's the Opus 88 Demonstrator, with a (black) EF nib, that I'm expecting. That will be my first, and for the foreseeable future, only Opus 88 eyedropper-filler with a JoWo #6 nib, since I don't particularly prefer physically larger nibs to smaller (e.g. 26mm, or nominally #5) nibs. (That goes for Opus 88, as well as HongDian, Moonman; and even for Sailor, the KOP's nib versus the 1911 Large's nib, versus in turn the Promenade's nib. I don't dislike the physically larger nibs for the visual element, but they are often, although not always, ground to be less fine and/or precise for a given width grade.)

I ordered that pen simply because it will be different in that regard from the Opus 88 Koloro and (four) Picnic pens my wife and I already have, with which we're perfectly happy. (The other Opus 88 I ordered on the same day was a Picnic in brown — the last of four colours I was endeavouring to collect — which was finally delivered towards the end of last year.) Also, I hear it's possible to put a Pilot Parallel pen's nib and feed into the larger Opus 88 pen.

The Fine Writing International Mars and Jupiter pens, from its Planet series, were delivered a little earlier in 2021; but I still had to wait several weeks (amounting to months) for them to be sent, even though they were in stock, and didn't take special orders to get EF nibs on them. Now, those JoWo-made #6 EF nibs are marvellous!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

5 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

@Audrey T It's the Opus 88 Demonstrator, with a (black) EF nib, that I'm expecting. That will be my first, and for the foreseeable future, only Opus 88 eyedropper-filler with a JoWo #6 nib, since I don't particularly prefer physically larger nibs to smaller (e.g. 26mm, or nominally #5) nibs. (That goes for Opus 88, as well as HongDian, Moonman; and even for Sailor, the KOP's nib versus the 1911 Large's nib, versus in turn the Promenade's nib. I don't dislike the physically larger nibs for the visual element, but they are often, although not always, ground to be less fine and/or precise for a given width grade.)

I ordered that pen simply because it will be different in that regard from the Opus 88 Koloro and (four) Picnic pens my wife and I already have, with which we're perfectly happy. (The other Opus 88 I ordered on the same day was a Picnic in brown — the last of four colours I was endeavouring to collect — which was finally delivered towards the end of last year.) Also, I hear it's possible to put a Pilot Parallel pen's nib and feed into the larger Opus 88 pen.

The Fine Writing International Mars and Jupiter pens, from its Planet series, were delivered a little earlier in 2021; but I still had to wait several weeks (amounting to months) for them to be sent, even though they were in stock, and didn't take special orders to get EF nibs on them. Now, those JoWo-made #6 EF nibs are marvellous!

Very nice! Thanks for all the excellent details. And you were lucky to get the Mars & Jupiter pens.

Still waiting on the NOS Parker Falcon that was mailed on the 29th; Posta Italia is pretty slow. And no shipping confirmation on the Optima I ordered Friday evening (they only charged my card this morning); I imagine it'll come fairly quickly, though.

eta: Ooh, ooh, ooh, got shipping notice from Farney's, can't wait.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I ordered and am waiting for a Montblanc 146 resin Calligraphy from their US website.  Should be in my hand by Tuesday the 18th of January.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I just ordered a white TWSBI Eco with rose gold trim and a 1.1mm nib. I already have one with an EF nib and love the way that feels on paper - silky is the best word I can think of. Not slippery, plenty of control, but, yeah, silky. It's my favourite TWSBI and one of my favourite nibs overall.

It does feel a bit silly to be doubling up, but I've been doing a lot of writing with assorted stub-nib pens that I'm not enjoying using and I'm hoping this will be better even if it's not going to be as fine-italic as I would like. I'll just have to be content with writing bigger and if it feels as good as the EF on the paper it should be worth the compromise. More important: I do know it will comfortable to hold and on days, like today, when the arthritis in my hands is being annoying that counts for a lot.

So... I bought a pen purely for the feel of it.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Couple of Parker 45s (flighter and a UK made black one made in 1982) that I got for about 10 each, no swelling. And also waiting for a sort of frakenpen that I have no clue how the nib will show up. A lucky curve body and a wasp cap that is of the circuit board pattern.

Also a minty exterior Eversharp skyline in burgundy, but that's not for me, that's for a client who has their barrel snap in half during postal transit, going to either transplant the barrel or the grip, clean up the rest for spare parts after restoring it.

A Montblanc 354 from Germany just cleared customs today in Queens, NY, and is now on its way via USPS. It was in transit only 4 days, much shorter than what I was expecting. This will be my first one in this series, so I am very interested in how the nib feels on the paper. 

50 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

A Montblanc 354 from Germany just cleared customs today in Queens, NY

I admit I know almost nothing about Montblancs, but can't figure out which pen this is. My last pen of last year was my first MB, a 342, and I thought the middle number indicated the filling system (0=safety, 2=button, 4=piston). Educate me?

Sorry, I meant to come back and correct this. The model number is 254, from the 50's. There were also 252's and 256's (which were quite beefy apparently). It is a piston filler, so I don't know how these fit into any numbering system. 

I also have a 342 and I love it. 

47 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Sorry, I meant to come back and correct this. The model number is 254, from the 50's. There were also 252's and 256's (which were quite beefy apparently). It is a piston filler, so I don't know how these fit into any numbering system. 

I also have a 342 and I love it. 

Perhaps this:

In 1955 the 240-series was replaced with the 250-series these pens had two cap bands with the lower one wider and covering the cap lip. They also had a new "cable"-clip. The nib was also redesigned into what has been referred to a "Flügelfeder"-nib. 

Fountain Pen Revolution Himalaya V2 Chrome in Green Ebonite with a Steel EF Ultra Flex nib.

FPR Himalaya V2

Want to practice my Copperplate without always having to break out my oblique holder with a Nikko G nib dip pen.  I know it won't be exactly the same but I'll at least get to practice letter forms and up and down strokes.  Tried to convert an old Noodlers Ahab with a Nikko G nib and that proved to be an exercise in frustration. 

• 5 months later...

Sailor Shikiori Tsukuyo-no-Minamo Shimoyo, before the August 1st price-hike.  Probably my “swan song” pen - and my birthday!  Mmm…

44828B51-D17D-405D-B5A5-CD8924F422A2.thumb.jpeg.a680e2e868e99932e9b58eeead95e26b.jpeg