What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

A Parker Rialto, with what looks and writes like an italic nib, even though the section is marked with a B. Dates to 2004.

532028575_PXL_20220817_0955451052.thumb.jpg.0c609e4a4d5464199ebf4cc1211e1f04.jpg

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lamy Imporium and Cross Townsend.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:23 AM, mallymal1 said:

Just for something different. 🙂

A Parker 45 copy from India, the Wilson Coronet. Bashed and dinged, scratched and scrapped, but still working. The nib is not quite as smooth as the real McCoy, and the pen takes Parker cartridge / converters.

1051752878_22_08.16wilsoncoronet1114.thumb.jpg.a59bb190554ae984ab5a6c64b88b2fc3.jpg

Slight confusion, how is it an Indian copy?

AFAIK, the tie up between Parker and Luxor was in 1996 and this model is from the late 60's.

I am unsure if Luxor are still producing this model.

If they are, then it is still a licensed product and not a copy.

Luxor also introduced Waterman in India in early 2000's.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Asvine Skelton 

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

10 hours ago, ruby.monkey said:

Today's workhorse is a Pelikan Level L5,

Hehe. Good choice, I hear 😄

Sheaffer Statesman Fat Touchdown (1949) with an italic nib.

IMG_2314.HEIC.jpg

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A2 (Fine) - Montblanc Irish Green

Parker "51" Aerometric (Broad, England) - Waterman Black

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refill

4 minutes ago, Waverly said:

Sheaffer Statesman Fat Touchdown (1949) with an italic nib.

IMG_2314.HEIC.jpg

Very impressive pen and a joyful nib to match it seems, @Waverly. Thanks for sharing! 

TL;DR: A bunch of pens that know how to write a book while I chat with the team. Starring on the page, a Pilot Custom Urushi with M nib. 

About twenty pens of all sizes and shapes, inked with all sorts of inks, are hiding inside... It's so warm! 

large.20220817_211108.jpg.26b4b775aafa8020a8129ba979a6dcc4.jpg

Figure 1. The lead pen rests after a fruitful morning. In the far corner of the picture, across the acrylic carpet, across the fire door, beyond the rolling stairs, below the revolving door, along the field tracks, near the tram depot, some afternoon is still crouching. Beware, unsuspecting writers. 

7 hours ago, 1nkulus said:

Cross Townsend.

I come here and see pens I've not used in years....and say...opps.

Lamy Imporium has the most springy almost semi-flex...2 X nib:thumbup:....if it had gone out to 3 X, by hook or crook I'd have it.

Do have a 18 K nail Lamy Persona now a CI from Pendelton Brown.....and also not used in quite a while.

That gets to be a problem when one has 90 pens...........:happyberet:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

At the moment, green Diplomat Aero with Herbin Vert Atlantide and recently rediscovered in couch Pilot Metro F, tuned by Mark Bacas, with Yama-Budo.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

9 hours ago, 1nkulus said:

AFAIK, the tie up between Parker and Luxor was in 1996 and this model is from the late 60's.

Hello.

I don't know anything about Indian pens or pen makers, but I learned in the thread below that Wilson copied and sold Parker products. (Additional links to details from the manufacturer Wilson are included, for reference...)

I have the impression that Wilson and Luxor are different pen makers.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/331952-does-anyone-have-any-information-on-a-parker-45-wilson-coronet/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/258507-wilson-21/

Edited by Number99

13 hours ago, ruby.monkey said:

Today's workhorse is a Pelikan Level L5, with a little help from a Sheaffer Imperial IV C ands a TWSBI Diamond 580.

I love the Level pens!  

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

8 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Asvine Skelton 

That's a much less expensive pen than your usual choices.  How are you liking it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Tonight, I'll be using my Optima Giallo that I flushed the MV Olivine from and is now inked with MWZ Lux Grey. This makes 3 FPs currently inked with Lux although, now I think of it, I think I meant to try Diamine Kopi A Kawa for its slight yellow leaning.

Oh, well, next time.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Just finished using a Pelikan M805 Blue Dunes filled with Mont Blanc Midnight Blue.   Oh it has a B nib.  😁

TL;DR: Next to the Pelikan Level L5 I'm (play-)testing, I thought I'd try today the Online pen I've gotten on a whim while in Leipzig. It's a brand I know very little about, which seems to focus on the entry-level and schools pens in the German market. Figures 1-4 showcase this pen.

large.20220818_081617.jpg.07d7fed0232286ec3cb18e266d7eb9f6.jpg

Figure 1. Today's quick test.

Overall, I got good value for this pen. I believe it cost €15, so about entry-level on the European market. In the German market, competitors in this price range would be Kaweco Sport and Lamy Safari. I like the Kaweco Sport more for traveling, but this online pen was to me surprisingly good when sketching. 

This pen feels to me a lot like a Kaweco Sport, but in full size. It's a sturdy pen with a steel EF-sized nib that, to my sensibilities, actually acts like an EF. The nib feels stiff, but offers a bit of line variation and with pressure gets to about an M stroke. Similarly to the Kaweco EF nibs I've tried, the ink-flow is moderately dry. The reverse side of the nib is too dry to use for my liking, but otherwise it is smooth and, size-wise, it would be an EEF (XXF?).

The pen offers guides on the grip, Lamy Safari-style, and overall it's easy to hold due to its rubberized (or rubber-like?) coating, nice touch with the black-coated nib.

The ink is Online's own, Golden Brown, advertised as giving some shimmer on page.

large.20220818_081437.jpg.7a75e25c8cc41b0efb1432d2a14f0cb0.jpg

Figure 2. Nib and test. 

large.20220818_081957.jpg.7eb8ab6fe6360742001029d3b0dbd7a8.jpg

Figure 3. Nib at work. 

large.20220818_081922.jpg.588634450480b6d0e103ddaeaff2a578.jpg

Figure 4. Work. 

Curious if anyone else tried this pen. 

Voilà. 

48 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

the Online pen I've gotten on a whim while in Leipzig. It's a brand I know very little about, which seems to focus on the entry-level and schools pens in the German market. Figures 1-4 showcase this pen. …‹snip›…

The ink is Online's own, Golden Brown, advertised as giving some shimmer on page.

Thank you for showing us! I think your pen looks more attractive than the Faber-Castell Grip, which is priced similarly and probably aimed at the same target market. The rubberised grip will probably become tacky to the touch in a few years' time, but considering the pen's price, I imagine by then you'll have extracted the full measure of reasonably expected benefit — and then some — from the purchase.

I also think your pen calls for Rohrer & Klingner Leipziger Schwarz ink. ;)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

19 hours ago, 1nkulus said:

I think Luxor, are distributors for Parker in India?

The Wilson Coronet, isn't a Parker pen. It was made by Wilson Pen Private Ltd.

Hope this information helps.

3 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

TL;DR: Next to the Pelikan Level L5 I'm (play-)testing, I thought I'd try today the Online pen I've gotten on a whim while in Leipzig. It's a brand I know very little about, which seems to focus on the entry-level and schools pens in the German market. Figures 1-4 showcase this pen.

large.20220818_081617.jpg.07d7fed0232286ec3cb18e266d7eb9f6.jpg

Figure 1. Today's quick test.

Overall, I got good value for this pen. I believe it cost €15, so about entry-level on the European market. In the German market, competitors in this price range would be Kaweco Sport and Lamy Safari. I like the Kaweco Sport more for traveling, but this online pen was to me surprisingly good when sketching. 

This pen feels to me a lot like a Kaweco Sport, but in full size. It's a sturdy pen with a steel EF-sized nib that, to my sensibilities, actually acts like an EF. The nib feels stiff, but offers a bit of line variation and with pressure gets to about an M stroke. Similarly to the Kaweco EF nibs I've tried, the ink-flow is moderately dry. The reverse side of the nib is too dry to use for my liking, but otherwise it is smooth and, size-wise, it would be an EEF (XXF?).

The pen offers guides on the grip, Lamy Safari-style, and overall it's easy to hold due to its rubberized (or rubber-like?) coating, nice touch with the black-coated nib.

large.20220818_081437.jpg.7a75e25c8cc41b0efb1432d2a14f0cb0.jpg

Figure 2. Nib and test. 

large.20220818_081957.jpg.7eb8ab6fe6360742001029d3b0dbd7a8.jpg

Figure 3. Nib at work. 

large.20220818_081922.jpg.588634450480b6d0e103ddaeaff2a578.jpg

Figure 4. Work. 

Curious if anyone else tried this pen. 

Voilà. 

Good work @OldTravelingShoe.  The pen looks to be great value.