What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

TL;DR: I just returned from a trip to the Harz Mountains, Germany. For those who don't know, it's an area with many rolling hills and some mountains, beautiful nature and towns, and many man-made lakes (UNESCO Heritage). Was a blast, but with very limited digital access. Well, more time to try out pens in the wild. 

Figure 1 depicts one of the sketches, done with a Sailor (long-short) pocket pen from the 1970s, 21K fine, smooth nib with kind line variation, inked with Akkerman's Steenrood van Vermeer. It was at the end of the hardest ascent we did during this trip, so one more excuse for my amateur strokes. 

large.20220727_161909.jpg.6b7c733db2fb68e65724d2907954336d.jpg

Figure 1. The Brocken Peak in the Harz Mountains, Germany. 

Enjoy and glad to be back. I may post a few more of these sketches... pen of the day examples. 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

TL;DR: I just returned from a trip to the Harz Mountains, Germany. For those who don't know, it's an area with many rolling hills and some mountains, beautiful nature and towns, and many man-made lakes (UNESCO Heritage). Was a blast, but with very limited digital access. Well, more time to try out pens in the wild. 

Figure 1 depicts one of the sketches, done with a Sailor (long-short) pocket pen from the 1970s, 21K fine, smooth nib with kind line variation, inked with Akkerman's Steenrood van Vermeer. It was at the end of the hardest ascent we did during this trip, so one more excuse for my amateur strokes. 

large.20220727_161909.jpg.6b7c733db2fb68e65724d2907954336d.jpg

Figure 1. The Brocken Peak in the Harz Mountains, Germany. 

Enjoy and glad to be back. I may post a few more of these sketches... pen of the day examples. 

Very nice sketch!! You are getting very good at this!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

1 hour ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Figure 1 depicts one of the sketches,

Awesome sketch! How long did that take you?

I hope one day I'll learn how to draw half as well as you do.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Haha, many thanks, @DvdRietand @A Smug Dill. I appreciate the kind words. As an amateur, I have no pretense of knowing what I'm doing or that I would think my art any good. But I enjoy much the process and seeing people enjoy the results.

@A Smug Dill, the sketch took about three-quarters of an hour to make and photograph. Making was all in one go but took some self-control, because there were so many interesting people around, I had to filter them out and also compress the scene in front of me to some sort of essence. (I also had never drawn more than a few persons in the same scene.) 

Photographing took nearly ten minutes, because it was windy and the clouds kept rushing by as will-o-wisps, changing the light in patches. I also had my better half do various stretches to keep the pages still, hehe. Lovely memories already! 😄

On 7/31/2022 at 6:57 PM, Nick T said:

My Montblanc 149 with Calligraphy nib. It’s knocked everything else off the desk since I acquired it last year.  

It sounds as if you've got a cat disguised as a Montblanc pen. 😉

I'm using as my current EDC: 

TWSBI Eco Transparent Yellow,45° Reverse Architect Grind by Kirk Speer; Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

TWSBI Eco Pink M, Iroshizuku Tsutsuji

Platinum Procyon Turquoise Fine, Platinum Blue Black

Pilot Hi-Tec-C Coleto Multipen

Pilot G2 0.38mm Ultra Fine, Black.

1659548554000-1927770340.thumb.jpg.6c9fd839fd0dbffa71f3f3bbbe11587b.jpg

Apologies for the less than optimal breakroom lighting ....

Blue Sailor 1911S with F nib, filled with Sailor Jentle Black cartridge.  It's bills and accounts day; much less interesting than the use to which @OldTravelingShoeis putting his Sailor today.

Perhaps later I'll get to branch out into long form writing - I composed an 80-line-poem for an 80th birthday tribute, but I had no access to a printer or my usual stash of stationery supplies at the time and just recited it.  I promised I would get a copy to the new octogenarian in legible form.  That would require a wetter pen, I think!  Lots of pen maintenance on the docket for today as well, then I'll write at least a tad with a bunch of them to make sure they're happy.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Small Newton Townsend in SEM Blue&Gray ebonite. Custom made griffin cap medallion by silverpenparts and 14Kt B nib ground to CI by fpnibs.

1326760504_Newtontownsendbluegray.jpg.05f4aaa8201f00a568af67277673c5a8.jpg

100518791_Newtontownsendbluegraycap.jpg.e8e00d3bdca8fa0aad2b7c8a4c5fdd3d.jpg

964636626_Newtontownsendbluegraynib.jpg.17d1333c7384a2db8a1dfa4b875957bc.jpg

David

34 minutes ago, dms525 said:

Small Newton Townsend in SEM Blue&Gray ebonite. Custom made griffin cap medallion by silverpenparts and 14Kt B nib ground to CI by fpnibs.

David

Stunning!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

7 hours ago, taimdala said:

I'm using as my current EDC: 

TWSBI Eco Transparent Yellow,45° Reverse Architect Grind by Kirk Speer; Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

TWSBI Eco Pink M, Iroshizuku Tsutsuji

Platinum Procyon Turquoise Fine, Platinum Blue Black

Pilot Hi-Tec-C Coleto Multipen

Pilot G2 0.38mm Ultra Fine, Black.

1659548554000-1927770340.thumb.jpg.6c9fd839fd0dbffa71f3f3bbbe11587b.jpg

Apologies for the less than optimal breakroom lighting ....

Now this looks like a good use for the composition books I get because of their covers.  

Posted Image

On 7/31/2022 at 7:19 PM, PAKMAN said:

1936 Parker Vac Emerald Pearl Standard double jewel with striped section and jewel and lockdown filler.

84971689_ParkerVacEmeraldPearl.jpg.b8e19e437353957960ee23962c3731a5.jpg

Gorgeous pen. 

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

21 minutes ago, taimdala said:

oooohhhhh ...! @Helen350 and @IThinkIHaveAProblem---BEAUTIFUL PENS!!!

I am such a pushover for blue and green pens with gold trim.

(~drool~)

Agreed. The vac is amazing. But it’s not mine. That’s @PAKMANS.  And i am very jealous. 

45 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Now this looks like a good use for the composition books I get because of their covers.  

It is! I finally have room to organize the words by letter-count. I'm logging my Spelling Bee entries daily in a wirebound CF notebook (N 8542C; 14.8cm x 21cm, Graph ruled, 90 sheets, 90gsm) but I left it at home today by accident and had to improvise while at work.

But TBH, I use composition books for everything--doodles, notes, fic-lets, sketches, laundry lists ... They are rugged enough to handle getting tossed in a messeger bag or back pack or carried by  hand everywhere in all weathers, but they are inexpensive enough that there's no treating them like gold.

Be messy with them--sling paint or mud or ink or whatever on them. Make mistakes. No limitations!

And yet the Up & Up brand from Target is really good with fountain pens, too. It's made in Vietnam (says so on the back cover in itty-bitty print) and I've learned to watch for it during the summer BTS sales and stock up.

((WHICH I'M MISSING RFN, OMG! THANKS, PAYCHECK JOB!! LOOKIT YOU, CUTTING INTO ALL MY DAY SHOPPING. /s))

Here are a few pictures I took of it, collaged two-by-two, in case anyone's wondering what the notebook is like.

UpAndUpCompBook--01.thumb.jpg.76e8e1a378ad0843793ff213fa1c8ff2.jpg

UpAndUpCompBook--02.thumb.jpg.15bd3578a202dd4a454556ad7bba2d06.jpg

2 minutes ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

Agreed. The vac is amazing. But it’s not mine. That’s @PAKMANS.  And i am very jealous. 

HEE HEE! And perhaps a wee bit envious, too?

Just now, taimdala said:

HEE HEE! And perhaps a wee bit envious, too?

In fact.  Possibly green with it…

love Vacs. And “51”s. And snorkels and touchdowns with triumph nibs. 
but the stacked celluloid in a vac. Man. That’s just amazing stuff.

54 minutes ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

In fact.  Possibly green with it…

love Vacs. And “51”s. And snorkels and touchdowns with triumph nibs. 
but the stacked celluloid in a vac. Man. That’s just amazing stuff.

Touchdowns and Snorkels and Vacs, oh my!

You are more courageous than I am, @IThinkIHaveAProblem.

The most adventurous I've gotten in the vintage category is a sac-filler Esterbrook SJ in blue and burgandy. I have one of each and they actually are filled with ink!

At the moment, they're inked with tame Diamine Black Onyx or Ferris Wheel Press Timeless Blue. I have the burgandy installed with an Esterbrook 2198 nib and it gives a nice flexy line. The blue has an Esterbrook 2048 nib also capable of giving a little flex. I don't use them as often as I should. I'm still afraid of breaking them somehow.

I also have a vintage Sheaffer sac-filler in a red-veined grey marble without any ink in it. As with the Esterbrooks, it is a touch too-precious to me still to actually use.

Like I said, you're more courageous than I am! LOL!

20220803_220646.thumb.jpg.8291e8b25c1def1bc769f64801bfa896.jpg

7 hours ago, dms525 said:

David

Beauty.