What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

Tonight, I'm using my new Optima Caleidoscopo Luce Rosa. I've inked it with Lamy Vibrant Pink. The pen wrote beautifully out of the box, so it's 5 out of 6 for Optimas.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's first pen was already out of ink, so it was a perfect opportunity to ink up the Waldmann Tuscany that arrived today and give it a test run. Quite impressed so far!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

5 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

MB 149P, B Cursive Italic (Oxonian), KWZ El Dorado.

There are so many nice things in your one-liner!

Sailor 21 vintage pen (1970s?) with a broad, Naginata Togi-like nib* but also an extreme case of drying up. Flushing as we speak, so perhaps this was indeed the issue. 

20220119_190042.thumb.jpg.a35795e90baf8ff5b5b69f9a948bf685.jpg

Update #1, after the pen flush: this seems to have done the trick - the pen is now moderately wet. I've set it aside and will check if it dried up in about half an hour. Writing sample after the flush:

20220119_193430.thumb.jpg.1e09e7f1c3bedee69d85391ac8e2f08e.jpg

Update #2, after another half hour or longer: the pen is still wet and writes smoothly from the first try. 

* My assessment of Naginata Togi may be more wishful thinking. I don't even own such a fancy nib. However, (i) this nib does produce very different strokes at different angles, with a B+ stroke at 45-degrees and an F- at nearly 90-degrees (vertical), and (ii) it is a Sailor nib. (Also, EF on reverse writing.) 

Edited by OldTravelingShoe
Updated after the pen flush. Edited for clarity.

55 minutes ago, flodoc said:

Orange Parker Duofold Centennial w/18k fine nib.

20220119_113210.jpg

That's a beauty!!!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

50 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

However, (i) this nib does produce very different strokes at different angles, with a B+ stroke at 45-degrees and an F- at nearly 90-degrees (vertical), and (ii) it is a Sailor nib. (Also, EF on reverse writing.) 

Nice one! Yeah, in my experience -- but, honestly, what would I know, when I only have one 'medium-sized' H-M nib out of the twenty or so Sailor nibs that bear the 1911 imprint, and no H-B nibs -- Sailor's broader-than-Fine nibs are ground to have that character. I almost pulled the trigger on getting a discounted Sailor Pro Gear Slim with a Broad nib on the weekend, just because I was curious to see if that is how the typical H-B nib would write.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

30 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

That's a beauty!!!

Thank you. A lucky eBay find from about fifteen years ago.

8 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I was curious to see if that is how the typical H-B nib would write.

If you do get the modern H-B nib, please share - I'm very curious! 

Waterman Man 100 in black with COMPAQ engraved in the cap (seephoto), 18k fine nib and Colorado Pen Capri Blue ink. Does anyone know how these pens were used by COMPAQ? Customer gift? Service award? Executive perq?

20220119_132846.jpg

Parker Vector (Shrek "Puss in Boots", M nib) -- Noodler's Tokyo Gift.

Parker Vector (Geometric, M nib) -- Robert Oster Dragon's Night.

Sailor 1911S (Loch Ness Monster, MF nib) -- old formula Sailor Jentle Sky High.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I like straight barrel and section pens, they are comfortable to grip. It has something to do with having a flush barrel. If the back is wide the pen rolls inward; if it is thin it rolls outward. FC Loom is best, Intuition is the prospect.

4 hours ago, flodoc said:

Executive perq?

Haha, nice touch.  Interesting pen, though I have no idea why Compaq would have a pen like that.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes
"Modern Life®️? It’s rubbish! 🙄" - Mercian

Delta Adolph Sax Special Limited Edition lever filler with 18k medium nib. The fittings are gold plated sterling silver. Our son and I play saxophone.

20220119_204850.jpg

1946 Grey Parker 51 Vacumatic with Jeweler "Stacked Coin" cap, and fine nib recently picked up at auction.

I usually have an average of 10 pens inked. Right now I have 14:

Parker Premier Monochrome Black

Lamy Dialog 3

Porsche Design P3150

GvFC Intuition Terra

FC Ondoro

2x FC Ambition

Pelikan M405 Stresseman

Visconti Van Gogh Midi

Aurora Hastil

Lamy 2000

Aurora Optima