• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

Pens in use today. I think I have a thing for black pens. 🤔

2050138226_PXL_20220713_0841322582.thumb.jpg.0509d5b7d6dd1c37edff9272c26e8524.jpg

Varied mix 😄

Thanks for sharing! I'm wondering what the overlay pen is and how it writes. 

28 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Varied mix 😄

Thanks for sharing! I'm wondering what the overlay pen is and how it writes. 

Hi @OldTravelingShoe, maybe you missed this?

893324957_PXL_20220704_1322320042.thumb.jpg.ffb635ebed558cca8478a4d6279ae708.jpg

The base pen was made by Conway Stewart. The William Morris inspired overlay by the late Henry Simpole. 

It's a juicy smooth writer, which I enjoy very much.

50 minutes ago, mallymal1 said:

Hi @OldTravelingShoe, maybe you missed this?

893324957_PXL_20220704_1322320042.thumb.jpg.ffb635ebed558cca8478a4d6279ae708.jpg

The base pen was made by Conway Stewart. The William Morris inspired overlay by the late Henry Simpole. 

It's a juicy smooth writer, which I enjoy very much.

Ooh, I did miss this. Thank you, I know Henry Simpole by reputation, of course (and the Dinkie pens I acquired were sold to me as 'from the collection of late Henry Simpole'), but this overlay is already something else - wonderful work! 

Thank you for re-sharing, this makes my day already 😄

28 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Ooh, I did miss this. Thank you, I know Henry Simpole by reputation, of course (and the Dinkie pens I acquired were sold to me as 'from the collection of late Henry Simpole'), but this overlay is already something else - wonderful work! 

Thank you for re-sharing, this makes my day already 😄

No problem. 👍

Henry Simpole website. Maybe of interest.

Today, my go everywhere Kaweco Brass Sport needed a refill. So I've flushed out the HOD, and gone for Cult Pens Deep Dark Green. 

1535766228_PXL_20220716_0832206402.thumb.jpg.88a49ceb8fdbac6a31efc5698473f353.jpg

2 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

Today, my go everywhere Kaweco Brass Sport needed a refill. So I've flushed out the HOD, and gone for Cult Pens Deep Dark Green. 

1535766228_PXL_20220716_0832206402.thumb.jpg.88a49ceb8fdbac6a31efc5698473f353.jpg

I’ve noticed that Deep Dark Green takes a while to run ‘true’ after flushing.  Comparing the lighter colour here to the previous DDG photo, it would seem to be a ‘thing’!

It’s a special day for me today, so I’ve already used two pens this morning.  Both are Waterman: one old, one new…

16BEC6E2-1B10-4197-AD35-0D9665A4E4B8.thumb.jpeg.12dfcb2fc47ded113e5a59065b2701ef.jpeg

At the top is a blue Emblème, with F nib, containing Diamine Sapphire Blue.  Some people have been disappointed in this pen, but I have been lucky.

Below is a NOS Phileas, with EF nib, inked with Waterman Mysterious Blue.  Lovely writer!

56 minutes ago, Peter_H said:

At the top is a blue Emblème, with F nib, containing Diamine Sapphire Blue.  Some people have been disappointed in this pen, but I have been lucky.

Below is a NOS Phileas, with EF nib, inked with Waterman Mysterious Blue.  Lovely writer!

I didn't know people had hard feelings about Embleme. I considered it a nice inexpensive pen (bought mine for some 30 USD and thought that this was pushing). Went to check prices. Ouch!

Nevertheless, I do like mine. I have a soft spot for this whole Phileas - Kultur line and Embleme fits nicely there. Besides other things, my interest in Embleme is to see how this cap will perform comparing to the rest of the line. It will take a while, though.

3 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

I may have to check out a Brass Sport. I keep my brass Supra highly polished, but that Brass Sport looks great with some patina on it. Especially along with a well-worn Traveler’s Notebook. Like they both have some stories they could tell.

1 hour ago, recluse said:

Besides other things, my interest in Embleme is to see how this cap will perform comparing to the rest of the line. It will take a while, though.

I find the cap to be a nice tight fit - “snug”, as we might say over here.  Not noticed any drying out as yet, although I doubt if the seal is up there with Slip ‘N Seal.

The Emblème issues seem to be due to poor QC.  That’s why I won’t touch Parker - and the two companies are now owned by the  same conglomerate and even operate out of the same premises!  For a pen in the Emblème’s current price range, they need to do better.  Fortunately, I bought mine at a sensible price, some months ago.

1 hour ago, N1003U said:

I may have to check out a Brass Sport. I keep my brass Supra highly polished, but that Brass Sport looks great with some patina on it. Especially along with a well-worn Traveler’s Notebook. Like they both have some stories they could tell.

Stop!  You’re making me want one - and I promised [myself] not to buy any more fountain pens. ☹️

1 hour ago, Peter_H said:

Stop!  You’re making me want one - and I promised [myself] not to buy any more fountain pens. ☹️

If it is enablement you want, I can suggest a few items that are much more upscale as well… 😛

My experience with Kaweco is that their metal pens are super robust, and decent writers.

1 hour ago, N1003U said:

My experience with Kaweco is that their metal pens are super robust, and decent writers.

Even their plastic pens are quite robust - and excellent writers.

No enablement desired, BTW: I am NOT going down the rabbit hole. 😐

8 hours ago, Peter_H said:

I’ve noticed that Deep Dark Green takes a while to run ‘true’ after flushing.  Comparing the lighter colour here to the previous DDG photo, it would seem to be a ‘thing’!

Absolutely. The ink will certainly darken.

4 hours ago, Peter_H said:

Even their plastic pens are quite robust - and excellent writers.

No enablement desired, BTW: I am NOT going down the rabbit hole. 😐

@Peter_H, I cheer you on your resolution. But you're likely making it much harder by following this discussion 😄

large.2022-07-16_00059.jpg.e776cae01e05b3a148988d80eb64ee7b.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

4 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

@Peter_H, I cheer you on your resolution. But you're likely making it much harder by following this discussion 😄

Ah, but then I can be addicted to reading/writing about pens, instead of addicted to pens! 😁

13 minutes ago, Peter_H said:

@amberleadavisNice pen; lovely writing!

Thank you!  It is a new to me nib and even though it doesn't match, I am pleased as punch.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY