What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

36 minutes ago, shalitha33 said:

Finally got to straighten up the nib on this pen and also managed to clean up the feed and the barrel removing old ink. hoping to write with it most of the day tomorrow. 

Based on the date engraved on the middle band this pen would have served some one since 30th of June 1892. I missed its 130th birthday by 2 weeks :(.

large.IMG_20220712_164900.jpg.cd3bd89a80c8d31be577831f18f76370.jpg

Very nice!!!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, shalitha33 said:

Finally got to straighten up the nib on this pen and also managed to clean up the feed and the barrel removing old ink. hoping to write with it most of the day tomorrow. 

Based on the date engraved on the middle band this pen would have served some one since 30th of June 1892. I missed its 130th birthday by 2 weeks :(.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY anyway.

It looks quite nice. Would enjoy seeing a writing sample when the time and effort permits.

P.S. Next image, please do a cap-off.

Thank you

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

9 hours ago, shalitha33 said:

Whoa, that's awesome. Happy belated birthday.

15 hours ago, Pale.Ink.Tom said:

Hmmm.. I really don't know on this one!

Might have to, "phone a friend"!...or

"ask the audience"!

What I do know is it's the 'cutest' darn fountain pen I've ever bought.

(also the 'finest' nib).

P.I.Tom

IMG_1208.thumb.JPG.0972221022e48974f26d15eec90612eb.JPG

IMG_1205.thumb.JPG.352ecc77658b2be3bdea908c1bcbbdf0.JPGIMG_1206.thumb.JPG.7773c388fcfc35eb71252ea565748bf0.JPGIMG_1207.thumb.JPG.48369726202857a6d71dba6e6ebcbb2a.JPG

It looks beautiful, not cute!  Maybe it's me, but it looks considerably longer than a pocket pen, plus the colors are pretty elegant and understated with the spread out pattern.

Do let us know if you can identify it!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Onoto Magna.  It's chased black and silver with an 'as smooth as warm butter' broad nib.

Yesterday:  :(

large.410874121_IMG_20220712_164913(1).jpg.051820eced3fcd073a814f92a8d07f3f.jpg

Today : :)

large.IMG_20220715_104923.jpg.6d54ae104f0b2f1e68284ce12d3ee6b2.jpg

After 130 years and 2 weeks it still writes nicely. Its not the smoothest nib but it does its job :) 

Both nib and feed is somewhat odd in this pen. overfeed bit seems to be part of the section itself by the look of it and not part of the feed like a normal overfeed pen. nib is also untipped and probably not 14k gold. lighter blue lines are from a 0.5 uniball ballpoint for reference.

2 hours ago, essayfaire said:

It looks beautiful, not cute!  Maybe it's me, but it looks considerably longer than a pocket pen, plus the colors are pretty elegant and understated with the spread out pattern.

Do let us know if you can identify it!

I appreciate your comment @essayfaire. Thank you. I'll consider posting a question later specifically asking for help to identify it. Together we may zero in on a some detail to give us a

start. I have 'trawled' the online pen sites, as usual, but continually come back to the 60's..Japan.. and 'fingernail nib' styles. (and pocket pens)

Last night I had a thought that, if it is rare, it may be that it is so delicate and cheaply manufactured few might actually survive.

Yes much longer than the Pocket pens I have here. Capped it is 127mm, (same length as an M200), barrel 11mm. and the nib is a tiny 3mm wide!

You're right about the term 'cute'. It's not a word I commonly use to describe things but there are a couple of reasons this time. One, @carola used it in a previous comment and two, there seems to be an almost..."hello kitty"..feel to it! There are three 'paste' or 'diamantes' on the clip that give the appearance of a toy, a keepsake or trinket.

I also see the beauty in it. The twig and leaf motif and the translucent pearly colour are frivolous and designed to convey delicacy.

I see, 'Made in Japan' impressed on the barrel, 'Special - Best in the World' stamped on the pressure bar of a fixed, aerometric style, squeeze converter.

There is a clear impression on the nib... EA .. (not 'p a' as I previously thought) and the top of a single rounded number or letter is barely visible beneath it.

The nib appears to be gold and does not respond to a magnet. It is so deeply recessed into the 'fingernail' grip section I doubt I will ever disassemble it.

It is probably glued tight!

Someone on FPN will know and I look forward learning more about my (beautiful) object.

Regards, P.I.Tom

πTom

1 hour ago, shalitha33 said:

After 130 years and 2 weeks it still writes nicely. Its not the smoothest nib but it does its job :) 

Both nib and feed is somewhat odd in this pen. overfeed bit seems to be part of the section itself by the look of it and not part of the feed like a normal overfeed pen. nib is also untipped and probably not 14k gold. lighter blue lines are from a 0.5 uniball ballpoint for reference.

How remarkable!! Congratulations!  @shalitha33 What a beautiful 'time-machine'! I can't help but think of the many possible 'scripts' and 'documents' it has taken part in making!

Thank you for sharing such a treasure.

P.I.Tom

πTom

Today I used a Last Studio in Terracotta (M), inked with Diamine Ancient Copper. This M nib runs on the narrow side, almost to a Lamy F, and is a very pleasant writer with just a bit of feedback that avoids skidding across the page.

Tonight, I'm using my new M605 Black Tortoise, which arrived a few weeks ago, for the first time. I've inked it with Diamine Kopi O Kaw, which arrived yesterday.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Excluding my Kaweco Sport EDC, which may or may not get used, today’s pen is…

AA3A96D7-D7E4-4A0B-B821-7E3EBED06B5D.thumb.jpeg.789b636e08c1f2ef74ee3a91ddcdccae.jpeg

A marbled green Jinhao 100 Centennial, with a #6 Bock EF bi-colour steel nib.  Lovely writer!  The ink is Diamine Woodland Green.  The paper used in the photo is Rhodia dot pad, 80 gsm A4.

28 minutes ago, Peter_H said:

Excluding my Kaweco Sport EDC, which may or may not get used, today’s pen is…

AA3A96D7-D7E4-4A0B-B821-7E3EBED06B5D.thumb.jpeg.789b636e08c1f2ef74ee3a91ddcdccae.jpeg

A marbled green Jinhao 100 Centennial, with a #6 Bock EF bi-colour steel nib.  Lovely writer!  The ink is Diamine Woodland Green.  The paper used in the photo is Rhodia dot pad, 80 gsm A4.

The green/gold looks great. 👍

4 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

The green/gold looks great. 👍

Yes, it looks very good IRL, too.  I think Jinhao really excelled themselves with this Duofold clone.  Although expensive by Chinese standards, the pen was still under £20 - delivered - which is hardly expensive.  The quality, nine months in, seems to be very good and the pen (with the nib substitution) is a genuine pleasure to use.  Even with the original [Kaigelu] EF nib it was a nice enough pen but with the Bock nib it is a great pen.

5 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

Pens in use today

Er, that’s a lot of pens for one day! 😲

34 minutes ago, Peter_H said:

I was thinking the same thing!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

2 hours ago, Peter_H said:

😁👍

On 7/14/2022 at 3:30 AM, OldTravelingShoe said:

I'm wondering what prevents such companies from popping up in countries where the cost of living is not as high, yet shipping costs are still reasonably low. In Europe, I'm thinking Hungary, Romania, the former Communist block. 

Well, in the case of Birmingham Pens, the guys behind it are local to southwestern PA to begin with, I think.  It's also why a lot of their inks have names that relate to Pittsburgh history and culture.  

As it happens, today I'm using a couple of pens that have Birmingham inks in them (and both inks are named for Pittsburgh landmarks): 

Pelikan M22 "Chinatown" (not sure if it's an F or an M nib, because it's writing more like a B!) -- Birmingham Pens Schenley Park Thicket Green.

Cross Solo (red, F nib) -- Birmingham Pens Herr's Island Ultramarine.

Also using the Pilot Falcon (purple, soft F nib) -- Sailor Souboku.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

10 hours ago, Peter_H said:

I think that's even more than I use in a day! 

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence