What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

26 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Those sales would probably not have occurred at the regular asking prices, but the company most likely could not have sustained operations and made a profit if it just sold at discounted prices, I suppose?

Interesting. I'm wondering now what the business case is for small, independent fountain-pen makers. Because, in my mind, only the big companies are making real profits, whereas the independent makers (in the West) seem to me to be in less for profit and more for the prestige and pleasure of the craft. 

So: Could anyone share a realistic view on the business model for small makers? 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

So: Could anyone share a realistic view on the business model for small makers?

Perhaps you should look into Santini Italia and Edison Pen Company as examples.

Selling cheap economical pens that one doesn't manufacture using in-house capabilities probably isn't the path to success (or even survival).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

With such enthusiasm, how could they close the company?! 

My understanding is that Birmingham Pens changed their entire business model. 

They started out as an e-business, Xfountainpens.com selling relabeled Diamine ink and I think relabeled De Atramentis ink.  

When they changed their name and opened the B&M store in Pittsburgh, I was a frequent customer, because one thing they did was keep the ink prices to the level of what online businesses were selling them for, and they had a nice range of brands.  But they had trouble with the plumbing in the storefront they were in (which also was on a side street off a major shopping thoroughfare which also had no parking on it -- and parking along the main drag also was -- and is -- a major PITA).  I think they were having the Nemosine pens made overseas.  I never bought one because while some of the nibs were interesting, the colors themselves didn't wow me (but I did buy my first TWSBI from them -- after originally going in to look at that year's Lamy al-Star SE; and paying more in the process than I would have for the al-Star B)).  When they started making their own inks, I think they were buying the dye components from overseas, and then couldn't get them or something, and had to go to a differently supplier -- so some of the early Birmingham inks were extremely batch-variable.  

They're now back to being mail-order again (I vaguely know where they're located -- in an industrial park in the next county -- but couldn't find the place and not sure if you can do walk-ins).  I don't know enough about their current line of pens to say if they're good or not (I was just looking at their website and thought the pens seemed a little pricy -- especially compared to what the Nemosine pens cost -- but they do have a nice range of available nib widths, and they may be doing the pens themselves now instead of commissioning them).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Nemosine Rose Gold Fission. nib is EF and not the nice rainbow toned version :( 

large.IMG_20220714_094628.jpg.93dda96b289a08d8b229dff31c307c88.jpg

large.IMG_20220714_094521.jpg.859d19fd0cd3db5603e6fa8963d17793.jpg

Ended up getting this after seeing https://www.sbrebrown.com/tag/nemosine/ few years back.

Here are my Nemosine pens. The Fission is the rose gold version. The Neutrino color is Sub Zero. The Singularity pens are at top black marble, then aqua, clear with rose gold, coral, walnut, polar, granite, and sunglow.

large.C585A97D-EB37-4EDA-9115-9D3E1025B0BB.jpeg.3b183ee481029034ebada86f4c4fe89f.jpeg

Posted Image

14 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Oh, yes, please. For some reason, I was not able to find much about Nemosines "in real world". Thank you very much. 

I don' t think they are making them anymore. :(

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

@essayfaire is right. Sadly the affordable Nemosine pens are gone along with their fabulous inks. I found those much too late. I’d have bought 3 or 4 inks if I’d found them sooner. 

Posted Image

Wing Sung 698 - Pilot 1.1 Stub nib.  Ink:  Dryden Designs Sky Blue

Jinhao 80 - F. nib.  Ink:  Monteverde Blue/Black

Jinhao 80 - F. nib.  ink:  Akkerman Scharlaken van Jan Steen

Hmmm.. I really don't know on this one!

Might have to, "phone a friend"!...or

"ask the audience"!

What I do know is it's the 'cutest' darn fountain pen I've ever bought.

(also the 'finest' nib).

P.I.Tom

IMG_1208.thumb.JPG.0972221022e48974f26d15eec90612eb.JPG

IMG_1205.thumb.JPG.352ecc77658b2be3bdea908c1bcbbdf0.JPGIMG_1206.thumb.JPG.7773c388fcfc35eb71252ea565748bf0.JPGIMG_1207.thumb.JPG.48369726202857a6d71dba6e6ebcbb2a.JPG

πTom

13 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

My understanding is that Birmingham Pens changed their entire business model. 

They started out as an e-business, Xfountainpens.com selling relabeled Diamine ink and I think relabeled De Atramentis ink.  

When they changed their name and opened the B&M store in Pittsburgh, I was a frequent customer, because one thing they did was keep the ink prices to the level of what online businesses were selling them for, and they had a nice range of brands.  But they had trouble with the plumbing in the storefront they were in (which also was on a side street off a major shopping thoroughfare which also had no parking on it -- and parking along the main drag also was -- and is -- a major PITA).  I think they were having the Nemosine pens made overseas.  I never bought one because while some of the nibs were interesting, the colors themselves didn't wow me (but I did buy my first TWSBI from them -- after originally going in to look at that year's Lamy al-Star SE; and paying more in the process than I would have for the al-Star B)).  When they started making their own inks, I think they were buying the dye components from overseas, and then couldn't get them or something, and had to go to a differently supplier -- so some of the early Birmingham inks were extremely batch-variable.  

They're now back to being mail-order again (I vaguely know where they're located -- in an industrial park in the next county -- but couldn't find the place and not sure if you can do walk-ins).  I don't know enough about their current line of pens to say if they're good or not (I was just looking at their website and thought the pens seemed a little pricy -- especially compared to what the Nemosine pens cost -- but they do have a nice range of available nib widths, and they may be doing the pens themselves now instead of commissioning them).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks, @inkstainedruth, for the detailed answer. Combined with @A Smug Dill's examples of viable companies, I'm starting to get the picture.

I'm wondering what prevents such companies from popping up in countries where the cost of living is not as high, yet shipping costs are still reasonably low. In Europe, I'm thinking Hungary, Romania, the former Communist block. 

9 hours ago, shalitha33 said:

Nemosine Rose Gold Fission. nib is EF and not the nice rainbow toned version :( 

large.IMG_20220714_094628.jpg.93dda96b289a08d8b229dff31c307c88.jpg

large.IMG_20220714_094521.jpg.859d19fd0cd3db5603e6fa8963d17793.jpg

Ended up getting this after seeing https://www.sbrebrown.com/tag/nemosine/ few years back.

Thanks for sharing, @shalitha33! I find the engraving on the nib lovely. 

7 hours ago, Misfit said:

Here are my Nemosine pens. The Fission is the rose gold version. The Neutrino color is Sub Zero. The Singularity pens are at top black marble, then aqua, clear with rose gold, coral, walnut, polar, granite, and sunglow.

large.C585A97D-EB37-4EDA-9115-9D3E1025B0BB.jpeg.3b183ee481029034ebada86f4c4fe89f.jpeg

Thanks for sharing, @Misfit

What diverse styles. The Neutrino and the Singularity remind me a bit of Sailor ProColor 500 and Pilot Prera, respectively. 

7 hours ago, Misfit said:

@shalitha33

Here is another photo with writing from each model. 
large.07E9A716-AB54-49F4-B20D-D777DC25B339.jpeg.d108a50bdab49e2e7ddb8b26b22fb749.jpeg

Many thanks for the writing samples, @Misfit! I have a good intuition about the flow from these nibs - on the wet side, with nice shading. 

Wonderful @Tashi_Tsering They look great! So nice to see.

Thank you for the shots of your 'threesome'!

I'm writing with my MB 24 this evening. I'm really fond of these models!

Cheers, P.I.Tom

πTom

I've just inked up what is actually one of my all-time favorite nibs, despite it being an old, abused D-tier brand pen and nib. According to my best measurements, it's a fine calligraphy nib, which writes at about the width of a regular medium nib but with crisp edges. Stainless steel and not even tipped, but rather with stamped tines that form the rounded shape on the bottom. The nib was also folded over when I got it, I believe because someone may have thought it was supposed to be a folded nib, but it certainly didn't write very well that way. Having zero nib experience, I discovered the fold quite by accident and decided to unfold it because, well, what did I have to lose? I bought it cheap without any idea what it was or what shape it was in so that I could learn how to re-sac. The gold-colored plating is all long gone, only tiny traces of it to be found, but the pen itself is still in quite good shape. And I adore it! 😍 

The pen and writing sample:

large.IMG_2758.jpg.2b1bac5f2181305d88975333c93a7e17.jpg

A closeup of the stamped nib that kind of looks like a spoon:

large.IMG_2759.jpg.865d5d57773799786a4cb88b7023b319.jpg

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

Omas Ogiva Albo 14ct medium Extra Flessibile  (inked with Omas Blue, quite wet)

Visconti Wall Street 23 ct PD medium (inked with Scribio Grigio)

(for the moment ignoring the Lamy Safari (EF), Lindauer (stub) and TWSBI (stub) as I don't use those very frequently)

jpeg_image-2fef6e6a040f-2.jpg

Finally got to straighten up the nib on this pen and also managed to clean up the feed and the barrel removing old ink. hoping to write with it most of the day tomorrow. 

Based on the date engraved on the middle band this pen would have served some one since 30th of June 1892. I missed its 130th birthday by 2 weeks :(.

large.IMG_20220712_164900.jpg.cd3bd89a80c8d31be577831f18f76370.jpg