What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

20 hours ago, Vintage_BE said:

A Swan 1060 which I was told is a “wartime” (1939-1945) model. The fine tipped nib of this pen is one of the very best that I have ever tried. And I have tried a rather large number of nibs. 

9B56CF9F-30A4-4324-B131-E224EDCAB73B.jpeg

5E630EF8-B0CF-4829-9B7D-2A465C28B4D1.jpeg

That's a good looking nib...and good looking handwriting too.  👍

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My new matte black Sheaffer Fashion, inked with MV Olivine for testing purposes. Also, my M600 Red Tortoise, which I hadn't used in a while.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

11 hours ago, mallymal1 said:

That's a good looking nib...and good looking handwriting too.  👍

@mallymal1 @OldTravelingShoe @PithyProlix @amberleadavis Thanks for your kind words and I can assure you that for 99,99% this is the result of practice. And the good news is (or was, for me) that “American cursive” isn’t terribly complicated to learn. I can recommend this brilliant online course by Dave diGiovanni: https://consistentcursive.com

1 minute ago, The Mustard said:

Omas Magnum.jpg

One of my favorite inks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, Vintage_BE said:

@mallymal1 @OldTravelingShoe @PithyProlix @amberleadavis Thanks for your kind words and I can assure you that for 99,99% this is the result of practice. And the good news is (or was, for me) that “American cursive” isn’t terribly complicated to learn. I can recommend this brilliant online course by Dave diGiovanni: https://consistentcursive.com

Thank you for the recommendation. I think practice is essential to become really good at almost anything!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

3 hours ago, Vintage_BE said:

Thank you for the recommendation! I am not happy with my cursive, which is what I learned, poorly, from when I was a child, and this gives me a good reason to learn again with a more beautiful script. 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

2 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

One of my favorite inks.

…and that is quite an endorsement coming from @amberleadavis😃

Yes, a very attractive ink.

Jinhao 80 Black - F. nib.  Ink:  Monteverde Blue Black.

Arrived Saturday.  Will write with for the next 3-5 days to evaluate.

I put a 1.1mm stub nib on my Nemosine Neutrino pen last night. Today I filled it from a sample of Callifolio Inca Sol. I’m using it today. 

Posted Image

I’ve actually got 3 Noodler’s pens inked up. A Nib Creaper with Lamy Azurite, an Ahab with Diamine Jet Black, and a Boston Safety Pen with Black Swan in Australian Roses. 

12 hours ago, Vintage_BE said:

Thanks for that. Practice makes perfect!

An Osmiroid 75 piston filler. Soft Medium Rolatip nib, which is very smooth and gives some line variation. Inked with Diamine Blue Black.

1792721682_PXL_20220711_0835398132.thumb.jpg.a0a62e2d3e104a7d3bc51c5cbf725fc0.jpg

Started off with a little grey striated celluloid Marvel with a sweet little soft Bock nib but it quickly ran out of ink, so I tried to ink up an old burgundy Diplomat 150 school pen that I haven't used in a while, but then quickly realised that the reason was because I never did finish cleaning it out and getting it in full working order again and the ink refused to flow properly - it's a Monday today, isn't it? - so then I finally just inked up another pen that I knew would take today's dryish ink: a very strangely shaped Diplomat Monza that doesn't look like any other Monzas I have ever seen and I think it must be from the 70s or maybe early 80s because it still uses the old proprietary cartridge system from 1958. Long story short: I now have two more pens to clean.

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

22 hours ago, Vintage_BE said:

I can assure you that for 99,99% this is the result of practice

Hehe, then we'll (1) recognize the excellent result of practice, and (2) still congratulate you on the 0.01% of genius, @Vintage_BE 😄

18 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Thank you for the recommendation! I am not happy with my cursive, which is what I learned, poorly, from when I was a child, and this gives me a good reason to learn again with a more beautiful script. 

I second @PithyProlix, also in my experience as a pupil learning cursive writing. 

16 hours ago, Misfit said:

I put a 1.1mm stub nib on my Nemosine Neutrino pen last night. Today I filled it from a sample of Callifolio Inca Sol. I’m using it today. 

@Misfit, would you mind sharing some pictures. I'd like to see more Nemosine fountain pens, if at all possible. 

8 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Long story short: I now have two more pens to clean

Good story. I'm looking forward to seeing the cleaned pens and their writing samples, if you would kindly share them. 🖋️

So far today it's been the Cross Solo, F nib (purchased from a friend's estate a few years ago) with Birmingham Pens Herr's Island Ultramarine; and a Pelikan 22, "Chinatown", M nib, with Birmingham Pens Schenley Park Thicket Green (only the ink is maybe a little to wet for this pen...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

TL;DR: A Pilot Capless Yellow with steel F nib. I enjoy very much it's smooth flow with just enough feedback. And I don't have to say this pen has a brilliant design! 

I don't have a writing sample, it was all work on hiring a new staff member so privacy applies. I may create a writing sample later, but for now here are Figures 1 and 2. (Light was bad, so I hope you'll not mind too much the heavy editing.) 

large.20220711_222207.jpg.c9f7f8becc69601aa67c51724a397272.jpg

Figure 1. The capless thrives anywhere. 

large.20220711_222022.jpg.881fd834a06ac641f2c25a892f4127fd.jpg

Figure 2. A narrow, long nib, with a delicate steel touch with wonderful feedback, which overlaps with good nibs made of gold. Waterman No. 3 nibs of the 1950s and 1960s spring to mind. 

Thanks for reading and have a great remainder of the day.