What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

18 minutes ago, dms525 said:

Most folks of my generation who learned italic handwriting when teenagers or college students learned using Osmiroid or Platignum pens.  

My first college roommate (who was a year ahead of me) used an Osmiroid pen for her calligraphy class.  But the next year, when I took it, it was with a different professor and we had to use Speedball dip pens. :(  

A few years ago I bought an Osmiroid "India ink" pen, which has a gadget to pull the nib and feed for thorough cleaning after using India ink in it, but I've never gotten around to trying it.  Found it at an estate sale a couple of blocks from my house (the estate was from someone who had been an artist, and I had gone mostly to look at art supplies in general; finding the pen was just gravy, especially since it cost me a buck).

I also have a six nib unit Platignum Italic set, which I picked up a couple of years ago at another estate sale's company warehouse sale (it appears to be a squeeze filler, like on a Parker 21).  Haven't gotten around to ever trying it either, but noticed just now that it specific says to NOT use India ink in it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I also have a six nib unit Platignum Italic set, which I picked up a couple of years ago at another estate sale's company warehouse sale (it appears to be a squeeze filler, like on a Parker 21).

I never have had a Platignum pen. Their reputation is that they are good writers, but the nib carriers have a tendency to crack. I don't know anything about their filling mechanism(s).

David

22 minutes ago, dms525 said:

I never have had a Platignum pen. Their reputation is that they are good writers, but the nib carriers have a tendency to crack. I don't know anything about their filling mechanism(s).

David

Platignum made the squeeze filler mentioned above, lever fillers and cartridge filled pens. 

They are what I had and used growing up and into my 30s.  I have a soft spot for them, and still have a few.   I will be the first to admit they are 'cheap' pens.  'Cheap' is exactly why I had them in my school days. 

My late wife on the other hand had first tier (Conway Stewart, etc.) pens.  Yes, I married 'up'.

On 7/5/2022 at 1:29 AM, mallymal1 said:

Conway Stewart with a Henry Simpole overlay. M nib, inked with Cult Pens Deep Dark Green. Wonderful.

1732649774_PXL_20220704_1322320042.thumb.jpg.b7c421994e4bb8615d1cf2e6c31fcbe7.jpg

Yikes!! What a stunner!!

Thanks for the peek. Such a gorgeous overlay!

P.I.T

πTom

3 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

My late wife on the other hand had first tier (Conway Stewart, etc.) pens.  Yes, I married 'up'.

I hope the inlaws didn't make fun of your Platignums! That would be cruel.

David

I wrote with a Parker 61 Insignia. Made in Argentina it's a cartridge converter filler.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

1 hour ago, dms525 said:

I hope the inlaws didn't make fun of your Platignums! That would be cruel.

David

Nope.  It wasn't a problem since both sides of their family is descended from transported convicts.  My family is descended from Anglo/Irish rebels and recusant Catholics.

6 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Just this one

large.4A59776E-5BF7-4EF4-BA78-D7C195BE549E.png.ec517cd9df81895b9ed14acf8daf58e9.png

Striking 

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 7/3/2022 at 1:06 AM, Penguincollector said:

Well, so far I can tell you that it doesn’t get very full when you dip the nib and squeeze. Most people online recommend syringe filling, and I will probably start using that next time. 

@Penguincollector, your handle name sounds very familiar.  Did you appeared on penaddict podcast not so long ago..?

Today I'm using my Esterbrook Estie with Pilot's Iroshizuku Yu-Yake in my new Galen Leather (refillable) notebook. Ignore my terrible handwriting 😀 I'm working on it..

06072022pen.thumb.jpg.8881606247bed964c2c5addaa314749b.jpg

1 hour ago, steerpike said:

Today I'm using my Esterbrook Estie with Pilot's Iroshizuku Yu-Yake in my new Galen Leather (refillable) notebook. Ignore my terrible handwriting 😀 I'm working on it..

06072022pen.thumb.jpg.8881606247bed964c2c5addaa314749b.jpg

I can assure you that your handwriting is more than ok. 👍

Esterbrook Desk Set - nib #9668.   Ink:  Monteverde Blue/Black in my inkwell

HongDian Peacock N7 - F. nib.  Ink:  J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor

WIN_20220706_10_38_04_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220706_10_34_01_Pro.jpg

8 hours ago, AceNinja said:

@Penguincollector, your handle name sounds very familiar.  Did you appeared on penaddict podcast not so long ago..?

That’s definitely not me. There’s a few known pen people who also like penguins, Rick Propas from the penguin pen comes to mind. 

Top 5 of 21 currently inked pens:

MontBlanc 144 IB, Herbin Orange Indien/ Wearingeul Frost

Salz Peter Pan 18k gold filled filligree fine flex/ Waterman Serenity Blue 

Brute Force Designs resin pen FNF ultraflex, Herbin Lie de Thé/Wearingeul Emerald Castle

Pilot Silvern Dragon IB, Iroshizuku Kiri-Same

Wahl-Eversharp Skyline F Flex, R&K “Blue-Eyed Mary”

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

On 7/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, mallymal1 said:

Conway Stewart with a Henry Simpole overlay. M nib, inked with Cult Pens Deep Dark Green. Wonderful.

1732649774_PXL_20220704_1322320042.thumb.jpg.b7c421994e4bb8615d1cf2e6c31fcbe7.jpg

Great looking pen, @mallymal1! I know the late Henry Simpole did fantastic art - to me, the counterpart from the UK of Ariel Kullock. 

@Helen350 Ooooh, I haven't seen an Esterbrook desk in that color, nice find!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

in use today an Aurora 88 Big, in black with gold trim and the old long tines nib.

Always a fine writer that shows no hesitation, and is difficult to put down.

large.713486622_P1200400-3Aurora88BIGblackgoldtrimlongtines.jpg.c5248ffd0742e507bb97026d2930abd9.jpg

On the road, so my black Esterbrook LJ with a 1551 nib gets the call.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes
"Modern Life®️? It’s rubbish! 🙄" - Mercian