What pen(s) are you using today?

A Smug Dill

9 hours ago, flodoc said:

Visconti Voyager in black with white swirls and 18k medium nib. It is marked Visconti Firenze on the cap band.

20220115_184752.jpg

Very nice. 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• USG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I am using a Sheaffer Touchdown Tuckaway Sentinel with a fine 14k triumph nib. 

39A5698F-8CE6-4F40-8F04-9D408FFBE682.thumb.jpeg.85453eb7d4062677f600da940c6c1ebc.jpeg

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A2 (Fine) - Montblanc Irish Green

Parker "51" Aerometric (Broad, England) - Waterman Black

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refill

Visconti Luigi Millenium Limited Edition Amber with 14k medium nib and Swisher Cocoa ink. My pen is marked 45/100. I have only seen one other of this edition in the last 35 years of collecting. The translucent  acrylic is especially beautiful!

20220116_214544.jpg

Visconti Millennium Two crescent filler with 18k fine nib in clear with orange swirls and gold trim. Limited Edition 938/1000.

20220116_221909.jpg

large.1134494092_Faber-CastellEssentioEFnibwritinginWatermanMysteriousBlue(scan114dpi).jpg.e9037e49df80d9ee0a2e21b168588b6f.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, flodoc said:

Visconti Luigi Millenium Limited Edition Amber with 14k medium nib and Swisher Cocoa ink. My pen is marked 45/100. I have only seen one other of this edition in the last 35 years of collecting. The translucent  acrylic is especially beautiful!

20220116_214544.jpg

Tis indeed beautiful.

16 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

large.1134494092_Faber-CastellEssentioEFnibwritinginWatermanMysteriousBlue(scan114dpi).jpg.e9037e49df80d9ee0a2e21b168588b6f.jpg

Hi, I noticed you were writing with Waterman Mysterious Blue. I think it writes wide and wet, since it is at the top of surface tension/viscosity chart by @InesF. Lovely EF nib! Maybe, just don't dismiss it as 'wide' just yet. There are drier inks, I think it displayed a tour de force with you starting from the highest flow ink.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:51 AM, flodoc said:

Pelikan Sahara with 18k medium nib.

@flodoc, I like your handwriting a lot - and what a beautiful pen you have here!

Of which size class is this Sahara model? I never heard or red about before.

One life!

5 hours ago, InesF said:

@flodoc, I like your handwriting a lot - and what a beautiful pen you have here!

Of which size class is this Sahara model? I never heard or red about before.

Thank you for the compliment on my handwriting. I had to teach myself cursive due to switching schools four times in second and third grades so that means a lot!

The Sahara is an M640, which has an M600-size nib but is larger and heavier than the M600/620. It falls between the 600 and 800. If you Google M640 you should be able to find more about this entire series of special edition pens.

The series included six versions celebrating natural beauty: Niagara Falls and Sahara (2007); Polar Lights and Mount Everest (2008); Indian Summer (2009) and Eternal Ice (2011).

13 hours ago, mtcn77 said:

I think it writes wide and wet, since it is at the top of surface tension/viscosity chart by @InesF. Lovely EF nib! Maybe, just don't dismiss it as 'wide' just yet. There are drier inks,

That pen writes noticeably wetter than some of my comparable European pens with similar-sized EF nibs, and so the resulting line widths in fact present as (marginally) wider. None of them are any match for even F nibs, never mind EF nibs, on my Japanese pens, in terms of fineness and precision, of course.

large.1751286068_ThreesmallsteelEFnibswritinginNoodlersAircorpBlueBlack.jpg.dc8f2c8c56f2af0678c8c7096ce8e033.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

48 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

That pen writes noticeably wetter than some of my comparable European pens with similar-sized EF nibs,

That is a beauty. If you are in need of drier inks, I think you could try lower surface tension inks like Parker(but that is up for debate as of now).

At work I used my black Pilot capless, nib M, with Noodler's Empire Red, and my white and black (stormtrooper) capless nib F, with MB Mystery Black.

I wrote the daily statement with my Kaweco Liliput copper nib F, Iroshizuku tsutsuji (somehow I felt silly tonight, the chances that a tax official will check this very statement are slim... and if he does, it is not forbidden to bring colour into other people's lives😉).
In a moment I'll write a few lines in my "Leuchtturm", Lamy cp 1 black, Platinum carbon ink, then the day is over. 🛏️

You will be forgiven that you cannot, but never more that you do not want to.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:33 AM, flodoc said:

Conklin Word Gauge with 14k medium nib, marked "Made in Italy", probably by Stipula. It has a huge ink capacity!

20220113_222710.jpg

Nice looking pen.

Although the pen looks remarkably like a Stipula Etruria, and the piston looks the same as those used in some Stipula pens, in a old thread here on FPN, Giovanni Abrate (US distributor of Visconti) claims that the LE version in "acryloid" was made by Visconti, while the standard version was made in Taiwan. The visconti version has a different threading and a small window, I recall seeing it on sale on Chatterley Luxuries.

The resemblance with some Stipula pens of the standard version still makes me wonder whether Stipula was involved (except for the nibs).

On 1/8/2022 at 6:54 AM, flodoc said:

Bespoke Stipula in amber celluloid with 18k fine nib, made for Penwright, possibly for the 2001 Dallas Pen Show. PENWRIGHT is engraved on the cap band. The barrel is imprinted: DALLAS EDITION 01

24/55

20220107_234350.jpg

Looks very nice!

On 1/8/2022 at 7:08 AM, flodoc said:

Blue Check ParkerDuofold w/18k fine nib and Private Reserve Naples Blue.

20220107_235932.jpg

Centennial or International? :)

On 1/10/2022 at 4:36 AM, flodoc said:

Burgundy Pelikan M250 old style with 14c medium nib and MB blue ink.

20220109_204906.jpg

Love this one too!

On 1/10/2022 at 4:44 PM, DvdRiet said:

Today’s pen was a Haskoson blue and orange celluloid with polished ebonite cap made by Gerrit de Boer. I really like the feel of this pen, so I’ve also done a brief write-up on it in the European pen subforum. (No affiliation, just a satisfied customer)

large.757252348_IMG_0013lighter.jpg.66165439a1726b25f14726ee9c1ce1a4.jpg

Here's the link to my amateur 'review' for anyone who is interested: 

Pretty!! your pen collection is developing nicely! I'm reading your review now!

On 1/13/2022 at 12:35 PM, ethernautrix said:

Instead of running my pens dry, I re-seal the cartridges (with tape), label them, and keep them vertical in a demitasse cup. 

Cos I'll probably post "I'm using only two pens, hey!," and then, within 24 hours, the niggling will set in. "How about that Kaweco's EF nib, hm? How's that Pilot Falcon's SEF nib write again? Been a while since I've used a Danitrio, and it is winter.... Maybe I should bring a blue ink back into the mix... or a brown?"

I'm trying to stop the monkey mind by insisting on only two (fountain) pens. (Currently supplemented by about a half-dozen gel pens.)

When I feel ink has been for too long in a pen I often doodle it dry... :)